    was not already in M$ WindowsXP and is not already implemented in a Linux
    desktop?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 12, 2006

  2. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Vista Guest

    They do have to get the software out there though, as it has been such a
    long time since they released a new windows operating system. It is better
    that they don't include something that is buggy, then include it, and they
    can always add it later in a service pack.

    Vista, Mar 12, 2006

  3. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Gordon Guest

    The version number, as in *I* have the latest.

    Gordon, Mar 12, 2006
  4. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Gordon Guest

    Proof reader, come here and look at this. ;-)

    Gordon, Mar 12, 2006
  5. LOLOL!

    Nice! It will have the "keeping up with the Joneses" factor. :eek:)

    That's a lot of money for just that ;o)

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 12, 2006
  6. LOL. "... better that they don't include something that is buggy, then
    include it ... later in a service pack"

    LOL!

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 12, 2006
  7. Please refrain from inserting the $, it embarrasses you.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Mar 12, 2006
  8. I keep hearing all this FUD about DRM support in Windows Vista.
    Microsoft Vista big brother, conspiracy theory etc are all words that
    get thrown around.

    Vista supports DRM but does NOT require it

    Perhaps everyone is just jumping on the bandwagon without understanding
    the facts. Maybe getting confused between DRM and encryption. Windows
    Vista includes a better version of the Encrypting File System (EFS) but
    more importantly includes the BitLocker Drive Encryption (of the entire
    system volume) feature so businesses can mitigate information
    disclosure risks when people lose their laptops via theft, or by
    leaving in the back of taxis. You can store your private keys for BDE
    in a TPM chip or on a USB flash disk

    Regarding DRM, people use Windows Media Player, iTunes, DVD decoders
    etc etc today without complaining about DRM. Windows Vista does
    support a new feature called High Def Content Protection (HDCP) which
    will reduce the resolution of the output (typically from a DVD or BD
    disk) if your hardware/software doesn't support HDCP. There will be no
    getting around this, if you want to watch high def, the
    hardware/software needs to support HDCP. This is probably where the
    FUD around Windows Vista "requiring you to buy a new monitor" comes
    from. HD-DVD and BlueRay implementations support HDCP, and so does
    Vista. Other OSes that want to support those formats, will do so as
    well - if you want to watch the high def content you need a monitor
    that support HDCP. You are no worse off that how you are today.
    EFI support doesn't seem to be high on the Windows feature list for
    users that I have spoken to
    Where do you start?

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/features/default.mspx

    how about External Memory Devices
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/features/foreveryone/performance.mspx

    Hybrid Hard Drives

    Family safety settings/parental controls
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/features/forhome/safety.mspx

    USB device control (stop users writing YOUR content to THEIR iPods
    "podslurping", USB flash devices etc)

    or how about Windows shared view, or presentation settings

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/features/forbiz/mobilepc.mspx

    There's hundreds and hundreds of new things in Vista, those are the
    main ones that are genuinely useful new features in Windows Vista for
    me

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Mar 13, 2006
  9. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Don Hills Guest

    Nathan,
    I think you do a pretty good job overall of explaining things here, and I
    admire you for poking youur head above the parapets. But you really must try
    and avoid howlers like the one quoted above if you want people to believe
    the rest of what you say.

    Don Hills, Mar 13, 2006
  10. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Mutlley Guest

    I think that the genuinely useful feature left in Vista will be the
    ability to part fools with their money..

    Mutlley, Mar 13, 2006
  11. Aaah!

    Another "Get The Facts" FUD campaign from the NathanFUD&PROPAGANDAbot at
    Micro$oft.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 13, 2006
  12. LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

    Nicely said!

    And so true!

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 13, 2006
  13. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    thing2 Guest

    yeah....how's this for complaints....

    I have dvds that play in "real" dvd players but wont play in my PC (Star
    Wars II comes to mind) Took it back and Whitcouls tried to say because
    it worked on their unit, my dvd player in my PC was at fault.....yeah
    right....got my money back after a few swap outs and still no joy.

    Perception is reality.

    There is more than enough evidence that MS is happy to sell out its
    customers/users to Hollywood in order to make and continue to make
    unjustifiable margins.

    Whatever Nathan thinks,

    1) Users have DRM issues and it is annoying them.
    2) MS is or becoming perceived as un-trustworthy by more and more people.
    3) Each upgrade of the OS climbs significantly in cost, yet offers fewer
    and fewer real feature gains.
    4) Each upgrade cycle is not only more costly, but there are shorter
    time spans between forced upgrades, churn hurts.
    5) Despite MS's policy of now taking security issues seriously, an MS OS
    it is now a significant threat to a person's / companies financial
    safety. Professional scum has now moved onto the Internet, you can loose
    your savings due to key loggers, hugh Internet bills from becoming a
    spam relay.......virused and spy-wared to the point that your machine no
    longer works....all thanks to MS historically being un-concerned about
    such things....

    This will make upgrading and updating their old customers harder and
    harder. I wonder how many people these days upgrade their OS? used to be
    I went out and bought upgrades, these days it just costs too much or
    cannot be done......bet it is few.

    regards

    Thing

    thing2, Mar 14, 2006
  14. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    RJ Guest

    There's a lot more facts in one of his posts than 1000 of yours.

    RJ, Mar 14, 2006
  15. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    RJ Guest

    Bullcrap
    Bullcrap
    Bullcrap
    Bullcrap
    Bullcrap
    Bullcrap
    Bullcrap
    Bullcrap
    Bullcrap

    Professional scum has now moved onto the Internet, you can loose

    RJ, Mar 14, 2006
  16. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    RJ Guest

    oops sent the last one by mistake.
    Maybe they do
    Only by prejudiced retards
    That's the biggest load of bullcrap lies ever
    You're a moron to go around saying that
    The amount of work that has gone into security is unprecedented and has
    resulted in a much safer Windows operating system.
    Operating systems are supported on 10 year lifecycle
    Most PCs these days are too useless after 5 or 6 years anyway

    RJ, Mar 14, 2006
  17. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Andrew Guest

    and you care why?

    you dont even use windows..

    Why do you keep reading about it?

    Andrew, Mar 14, 2006
  18. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Jerry Guest

    I believe that Microsoft is going overboard in it's protection schemes.
    Right now, if you install Windows XP with SP2, and then do an update,
    you have to press the "express" install button three times, while it
    loads genuine advantage validation tool and checks my computer who knows
    how many different ways. This is after I've validated my copy of Windows.

    I am able to go into any local shop and purchase anything I like without
    the proprietor doing a body cavity search on me when I leave the store.
    Why does Microsoft insist on treating me like a criminal?

    If MIcrosoft distrusts me, I am certainly inclined to distrust them. I
    don't want any new protection schemes from Microsoft. Sony gave us an
    example of what a "reputable" large corporation is willing to do to us.

    Linux is there, I've played with it, and it works fine on the desktop.
    Unfortunately, major games aren't ported to it, but new versions install
    easily and do e-mail and office functions nicely. When Linux achieves a
    critical market penetration, approaching about 20% of the market I think
    Microsoft may well see their empire crumble.

    Jerry, Mar 14, 2006
  19. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Peter Guest

    So, why are there now so many bot nets around?
    Or are you claiming that none of the captured machines are running Windows?

    Peter

    Peter, Mar 14, 2006
  20. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    thingy Guest

    Why bother trying to have a rational discussion with a 1/2 wit? the guy
    is an idiot.

    I see the botnet attacks every day, often every hour all on adsl and
    cable modems in just about every country that has them, 3 or 4 emails
    from each in a 5 minute window from 10,000 plus spam slaves.......

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 14, 2006