    so Micro$oft is not laughed completely off the map.

    I think that Bill and Steve are very, very afraid of Google and some
    other outfits.

    peterwn, Sep 24, 2007

  2. peterwn

    Mutlley Guest

    Don't think Bill has much to do with day to day running of MS but
    Steve sure has. Must be that time of the month again for him..

    Mutlley, Sep 24, 2007

  3. peterwn

    Rob S Guest

    Hell, I'm very afraid of Google. If I was the conspiracy theorist type,
    Google is the organization I would see as Big Brother, but with a lot
    more power over everyone. If Google were ever to turn off all it's
    servers at the same time, the world might not grind to a halt, but it
    might as well. No matter who or where you are, Google will have it's
    fingers involved in a lot of the things you do on the net. You would
    find it a lot easier to stop using Microsoft products or services than
    you would with Google. But nobody's afraid of Google because everything
    Google does for the average person is free.

    Just a thought. But I did say I'm not the conspiracy theorist type.

    Does anyone know of a website with good tinfoil hat designs? I'd google
    for it but...

    :)

    --

    Rob
    http://www.aspir8or.com

    "Drag me, drop me, treat me like an object!

    Rob S, Sep 24, 2007
  4. peterwn

    sam Guest

    <:eek:)
    http://www.stopabductions.com/

    sam, Sep 24, 2007
  5. Apart from GMail. Google doesn't have any proprietary formats in which it
    locks up your data, unlike Microsoft. Thus, Google's power of vendor
    lock-in isn't as great as Microsoft's.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 24, 2007
  6. peterwn

    Murray Symon Guest

    [stuff snipped]
    Some serious tinfoil hat research...
    http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/

    Murray Symon, Sep 24, 2007
  7. peterwn

    Rob S Guest

    It's not vendor lock-in or open source v closed source that raises my
    hackles in respect of Google, but the sheer volume of data they have on
    me and you. And there is more being gathered all the time. Information
    is power, and Google have and control access to more information than
    any other entity on this planet. I personally have faith that the powers
    that be at Google don't intend to do anything but make money from their
    control of this data. Scary to think what the wrong people could do with
    it though.

    --

    Rob
    http://www.aspir8or.com

    Programmer's Drinking Song: 99 programming bugs in the code/99
    programing bugs/Fix one bug/compile it again/now there's 100 bugs in the
    code! (repeat until bugs==0)

    Rob S, Sep 24, 2007
  8. So, clear your Google cookies every now and then. What's the big deal? :)

    Besides, this is the exact opposite of the situation you were originally
    postulating, that is if Google were to turn off all its servers.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 24, 2007
  9. peterwn

    Allistar Guest

    What information do they have on us? Other than gmail users, all I can see
    is web searches, which cannot be tied to a particular user anyway
    (especially those of us who wither don't use cookies or clear them after
    every session).

    Allistar, Sep 24, 2007
  10. peterwn

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Any company with a motto of "Don't be Evil" is obviously horrendously
    evil. Why else would you have that motto unless you were trying to
    hide the fact that you were as evil as hell itself?

    They're a little like Vodafone (versus Telecom). Every bit the evil
    corporate as the other (in this case Microsoft), but with a better
    marketing department so all the braindead types think they're great...

    Fred Dagg, Sep 24, 2007