    Charlie Self

    "In the final choice a soldier's pack is not so heavy as a prisoner's chains."
    Dwight D. Eisenhower

    Charlie Self, Dec 9, 2003

  2. Andrew McDonald

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Never mind, I hadn't followed the story. Apparently
    it's yet another disappointment from the Supreme
    Shame.

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 9, 2003

  3. Andrew McDonald

    stacey Guest

    Nothing but I bet they will fight this latest gouge and win.

    No linux doesn't "use" FAT, it normally uses EXT2 or EXT3 file system amoung
    other free solutions. It can read/write to an FAT partition though.

    stacey, Dec 9, 2003
  4. Andrew McDonald

    Wayne P Guest

    Maybe the card makes could simply quit pre-formatting them. They could claim
    they dont know what file system the customers would use . . . .

    wayne

    Wayne P, Dec 9, 2003
  5. Andrew McDonald

    Dave Oddie Guest

    Why not?

    FAT16 and even Fat32 are not considered wonderful bits of software engineering.

    As the size of storage increases the same reasons that compelled Microsoft
    themselves to seek better alternatives may become a force to deploy a different
    file system for high capacity removable media.

    If that comes to pass it would make sense NOT to use a Microsoft "standard" if
    you are going to have to pay for it, but to come up with your own or adopt one
    available under the GPL.

    Dave

    Dave Oddie, Dec 9, 2003
  6. Andrew McDonald

    Dave Oddie Guest

    Microsoft may beg to differ that it is irrelevant given the sh!t being dumped
    on them by the EU at the moment for restirctive practice.

    Dave

    Dave Oddie, Dec 9, 2003
  7. Andrew McDonald

    Hils Guest

    Linux, Linux, Linux.
    Linux FAT capability is to allow easy access to partitions created by M$
    systems. It's perfectly possible (and it's easier) to set up a Linux
    system with no FAT partitions at all.

    Hils, Dec 9, 2003
  8. Andrew McDonald

    stacey Guest

    And faster as well, FAT isn't a native file system for linux.

    stacey, Dec 10, 2003
  9. Andrew McDonald

    Mike Haight Guest

    stacey () wrote:
    :
    : I hope MS presses this and it's proven legal in the courts, then watch the
    : people come out of the woodwork to go after MS. The knife cuts both ways
    : and everyone (lawyers) know where the deepest pockets are.. MS will get
    : burried in lawsuits.

    Apple, Sun, and Linux will have to come out of the
    woodwork or be forced out. They try to be compatable
    with the Microserfs, while Microsoft ignores everyone
    else.

    To me this is just an announcement. Microsoft is saying
    'we are no longer a growth company, we are a sunset company.
    Anything we tried lately doesn't end up making money. This
    is one of the last ways we have to remain attractive
    to the stockholders'.

    Mike Haight, Dec 10, 2003
  10. Andrew McDonald

    stacey Guest

    Yep look at the end of the Big Blue stranglehold, same thing happened!

    stacey, Dec 10, 2003