    faceplate there as well??

    Will I have to pay for the faceplates??

    Thanks

    This Way Please, May 19, 2015

  2. This Way Please

    David Guest

    I have fiber and a VDSL Mk2 OpenReach face plated Master socket no other
    filters are installed.

    I now understand OR Mk 3 are the latest.
    Regards
    David

    David, May 19, 2015

  3. This Way Please

    Graham. Guest

    Graham., May 19, 2015
  4. This Way Please

    Graham. Guest

    No to both questions.

    They will install one filtered faceplate with separate sockets for
    phone and VDSL modem. They will, if it's practical, connect any
    extension sockets to the filtered side of this faceplate so these
    won't need filters locally.

    Really, this is how ADSL should be installed too, it's just easer to
    provide multiple micro filters for the public to self-install, but
    it's not ideal.

    Graham., May 19, 2015
  5. This Way Please

    David Guest

    Plusnet failed to get OpenReach to come to me and Plusnet posted the OR
    Modem when I informed them OR had failed to attend.
    Bought my own faceplate
    Regards
    David

    David, May 19, 2015
  6. This Way Please

    Phil W Lee Guest

    Depends on the alarm - some aren't even compatible with VDSL, so will
    need a dedicated line. You need to check this with both the alarm
    company and the DSL provider (which will need to be done through your
    ISP) to make sure that they are both singing from the same songsheet
    and you have some kind of guarantee in place if they say it will work.Depends if it's an engineer install or "wires only". When I got my
    VDSL, it was all engineer install, and the price included delivery of
    the DSL service to anywhere within 30M of the entry point of the line
    to the building. It didn't matter to me, as when the line was
    originally installed I had the master (and only) socket placed within
    a metre of where I intended to site the router.
    Check with your ISP what their upgrade includes, and if it does cover
    an extension, get it in writing so that you can show the installer if
    they argue about it (printing out a confirmation email should be
    enough - Zen actually advised doing that).

    Good to find someone asking first, instead of complaining when they
    don't get what they were expecting!
    Or needed - extension wiring is fed through the filter in the
    faceplate. A dedicated (and unfiltered) DSL extension is needed if
    you want the router somewhere other than close to the master socket.

    Phil W Lee, May 19, 2015
  7. This Way Please

    Kráftéé Guest

    "David" wrote in message
    Plusnet failed to get OpenReach to come to me and Plusnet posted the
    OR
    Modem when I informed them OR had failed to attend.
    Bought my own faceplate
    Regards
    David
    ..>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    Did Plusnet actually make an appointment for an engineer to call, if
    not you won't get any visit, even thought the jumpering will get done.

    It's becoming a very silly situation where the CPs (including BT) are
    sending engineers to site to do the fit/line install and then a job to
    do the VDSL jumpering without visiting the enduser or, like in your
    situation, where they just don't book a 'engineer' install and leave
    it to the end user to get it done. Yes it is an easy job for some,
    but on the other hand why do so many end users (who claim they know
    what they're doing) get it so basically wrong?

    Kráftéé, May 20, 2015
  8. This Way Please

    Andy Burns Guest

    wrote:
    I don't think they offer "wires only" yet.
    Certainly seems more disorganised chaos now than a few years ago. A
    friend just moved into a flat, migrated his BT line and ADSL broadband,
    wondered where the new router was, and was told he had to re-use the
    same one from his old house (thankfully he could go and collect it) he
    was moaning about his speed being so slow he couldn't watch iPlayer
    without stuttering so he was thinking of upgrading to fibre, I did a
    speed test and got 75Mb/15Mb using 5GHz WiFi, his 5Mbps was on 2.4GHz
    with all the surrounding flats interfering! So he had fibre without
    knowing he'd been upgraded.

    I think the biggest problem is the ISPs not informing the user the
    stages that will happen, who is responsible for what, and when the
    process will be complete.

    Andy Burns, May 20, 2015
  9. This Way Please

    David Guest

    Yes Plusnet sent me a Router a few days before activation for me to
    install following the OR Engineer coming and fitting an OR Modem.
    OR did activation but did not come with Modem, when Plusnet told by me
    of failure to attend Plusnet posted Modem for me to fit. Phone was put
    on Plusnet on activation day but BB was down for 3 or 4 days whilst I
    waited for Modem to arrive.
    Plusnet member forum shows me I'm not alone in this situation.

    In other matters Plusnet appear to have a relational problem with
    OpenReach too.

    Regards
    David

    David, May 20, 2015
  10. This Way Please

    David Guest

    In my Plusnet dealing they did in fact do very well in informing of what
    was going to happen, or now should have happened.
    Problem was they just let OR get away with it.
    I expected them to contact OR straight away and say get round to him
    quick and fit a Modem, so that my down time would be small.
    I truly believe Plusnet customer service are scared of OR.
    Regards
    David

    David, May 20, 2015
  11. This Way Please

    Kráftéé Guest

    "Andy Burns" wrote in message

    wrote:
    I don't think they offer "wires only" yet.
    Certainly seems more disorganised chaos now than a few years ago. A
    friend just moved into a flat, migrated his BT line and ADSL
    broadband,
    wondered where the new router was, and was told he had to re-use the
    same one from his old house (thankfully he could go and collect it) he
    was moaning about his speed being so slow he couldn't watch iPlayer
    without stuttering so he was thinking of upgrading to fibre, I did a
    speed test and got 75Mb/15Mb using 5GHz WiFi, his 5Mbps was on 2.4GHz
    with all the surrounding flats interfering! So he had fibre without
    knowing he'd been upgraded.

    I think the biggest problem is the ISPs not informing the user the
    stages that will happen, who is responsible for what, and when the
    process will be complete.

    They're all 'offering' (not that many end users get a choice) both
    engineer or self install.

    Kráftéé, May 20, 2015
  12. This Way Please

    Graham J Guest

    David wrote:
    [snip]
    All ISP's have a problem with OpenReach.

    On two occasions as part of a new line order with Zen, OR were supposed
    to attend the site; and failed to do so, costing me two mornings of
    hanging about.

    On the third occasion, an OR technician did ring about 30 minutes before
    the end of the morning slot and said he would be there by 13:30 - which
    indeed he was. But he found that the chamber in the roadside did not
    contain the new wires he had been led to expect!

    Happily that was rectified without any need for me to attend the site,
    so on my next vist there were wires in the chamber and a cable through
    the duct that builder had provided into the building, and wires to a DP
    in the building.

    Total delay from ordering the line to a working installation was about 6
    months. True, for the first 2 months the site was just a concrete pad,
    no walls or anything, but from the third month the shell of the building
    was complete, and a cable could have been installed from any time
    thereafter.

    Graham J, May 20, 2015
  13. This Way Please

    David Guest

    In my experience Sky do not. Twice I needed OR here to check and reset
    my line, both times I phoned Sky they sent OR following day.
    Regards
    David

    David, May 20, 2015
  14. "David" wrote in message

    I have fiber and a VDSL Mk2 OpenReach face plated Master socket no
    other
    filters are installed.

    I now understand OR Mk 3 are the latest.
    Regards
    David
    If you're not experiencing any problems I wouldn't worry. The main
    difference is that the mk3 has a built in RF3 filter, which is great
    if you needed one but
    won't make any difference if you don't need it.

    Kráftéé, May 21, 2015
  15. This Way Please

    Kráftéé Guest

    "Andy Burns" wrote in message

    wrote:
    I don't think they offer "wires only" yet.
    Certainly seems more disorganised chaos now than a few years ago. A
    friend just moved into a flat, migrated his BT line and ADSL
    broadband,
    wondered where the new router was, and was told he had to re-use the
    same one from his old house (thankfully he could go and collect it) he
    was moaning about his speed being so slow he couldn't watch iPlayer
    without stuttering so he was thinking of upgrading to fibre, I did a
    speed test and got 75Mb/15Mb using 5GHz WiFi, his 5Mbps was on 2.4GHz
    with all the surrounding flats interfering! So he had fibre without
    knowing he'd been upgraded.

    I think the biggest problem is the ISPs not informing the user the
    stages that will happen, who is responsible for what, and when the
    process will be complete.

    A big AMEN to that brother.

    They don't even bother to tell the end user just how long the job can
    be, so 15 minutes after being let in on site you get, why can't I use
    the phone?

    The next is how much longer are you going to be I've just got to go
    out NOW!......

    And then they complain if you leave a mark on the wall.

    Kráftéé, May 21, 2015
  16. This Way Please

    Kráftéé Guest

    "Phil W Lee" wrote in message

    Depends if it's an engineer install or "wires only". When I got my
    VDSL, it was all engineer install, and the price included delivery of
    the DSL service to anywhere within 30M of the entry point of the line
    to the building. It didn't matter to me, as when the line was
    originally installed I had the master (and only) socket placed within
    a metre of where I intended to site the router.
    Check with your ISP what their upgrade includes, and if it does cover
    an extension, get it in writing so that you can show the installer if
    they argue about it (printing out a confirmation email should be
    enough - Zen actually advised doing that).

    Good to find someone asking first, instead of complaining when they
    don't get what they were expecting!

    If it's a managed/engineer install, by default there is provision in
    the order for home wiring (which means an upto 30mtrs data extension_

    Kráftéé, May 21, 2015
  17. This Way Please

    Phil W Lee Guest

    Try telling that to a Kelly's sub-contractor if you don't have
    anything in writing to back it up though. And remember, they just
    disconnected your internet, so you can't go and get it from a website!

    Phil W Lee, May 23, 2015
  18. "Phil W Lee" wrote in message

    Try telling that to a Kelly's sub-contractor if you don't have
    anything in writing to back it up though. And remember, they just
    disconnected your internet, so you can't go and get it from a website!
    I can't dispute that one, in fact it's a very valid point which has
    been raised with the 'der management' with little if any effect.

    Kráftéé, May 23, 2015
  19. Interesting to hear the other side's take on things. Whilst I'm not
    *that* close to the provisioning side of things, I'm very much of the
    opinion that it's deficiencies with the Wholesale ordering platforms
    that cause a lot of these issues.

    A prime example are certain VDSL migrations from other ISP's. AFAIK,
    despite the orders being placed correctly as installs, and with the
    requisite installation time-slots etc. the work tends to get done
    remotely with no visit.

    For an ISP that doesn't offer self-install VDSL yet, this often leaves
    users up the creek as they're left without any means of establishing a
    connection because they never receive the Openreach modem that the
    engineer normally drops off. There's a broken understanding that the
    customers can use the previous ISP's kit but this falls down if the
    losing ISP lock down their routers etc.

    I /think/ this is why we sourced our own Openreach modems: to work round
    the process failings. Seems daft that we'd have to do that, but I'm of
    the impression it was the path of least resistance.

    Plusnet Support Team, May 30, 2015
  20. This Way Please

    Kráftéé Guest

    --
    |Bob Pullen Broadband Solutions for
    |Support Home & Business @
    |Plusnet Plc. www.plus.net

    Had a visit to and end user on Monday, change of ISP (both on fibre).
    No installation visit, but a boost job was built a week later due to
    it not working.

    MAKE SURE your installation jobs are not being changed to FTTC
    jumpering only jobs.

    Kráftéé, Jun 3, 2015