    SIP ??

    Thanks

    Kevin

    Kevin, May 25, 2004

  2. I thought MGCP was end to end, I have a VoIP service using that and
    had a MGCP image in the ATA-186. Switched it to SIP to use FWD.

    http://www.protocols.com/pbook/VoIPFamily.htm#mgcp might help

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, May 25, 2004

  3. Kevin

    SPD Guest

    SPD, May 26, 2004
  4. MGCP isn't useful end-to-end - it was designed to be used
    between a call control engine and a media gateway.

    Melinda Shore, May 26, 2004
  5. Kevin

    shope Guest

    You can get MGCP phones as well - Swissvoice, cisco and polycom support it
    on some models.

    you can generally mix the various voip control protocols - so long as the
    end points use compatible end points or you can transcode, and that the
    control system can handle the different protocols. All the actual voice
    streams for these protocols use RTP.

    eg. - cisco call manager can handle at least H.323, MGCP, SIP on the same
    system and connect calls between them. i cant believe CCM is unique, but i
    use that most.

    shope, May 27, 2004
  6. Yes, but the original intent was that the "media gateways"
    were media gateways, or relays, rather than endpoints. For
    better or worse you can't control how a protocol is used
    once it's released for general consumption. The point
    remains, however, that while H.323 and SIP really are
    end-to-end protocols (although they're mediated more often
    than not these days) MGCP is not.

    Melinda Shore, May 27, 2004