[Meta] *GETTING RID OF THE JUNK* - Newsgroup filtering for Windows users in rec.photo newsgroups

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by usenet, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. usenet

    usenet Guest

    I've created a mirror of the no longer maintained 'nfilter' Usenet junk
    filtering program. I've also created a custom filter that will nuke the
    crossposted junk, & (currently) one of our trolls.

    Download site: <http://li.ve.ly/nfilter/>

    Instructions: Follow the directions on the FAQ page:
    <http://li.ve.ly/nfilter/faq.html#2.1>

    Once you've got the filter installed & working, download the filter set
    (nfilter.dat), then copy it over the default filter (usually:
    "C:\Program Files\NewsProxy\nfilter.dat") that was installed with the
    program.

    Stop & restart the program with the buttons provided, & voila! - Enjoy a
    (mostly) junk-free rec.photo digital, or rec.photo.equipment.35mm

    I'll be updating the filter as required, so keep an eye on the newsgroup
    for update announcements.

    Filtering details: This ruleset drops any posts that:
    (1) are crossposted to more than one other group,
    (2) or are from the Preddy troll's main email address.
    Feel free to modify the rules for your own preferences (the edit menu in
    nfilter/newsproxy).

    usenet, Jul 20, 2004

  2. usenet

    Kimberlee Guest

    <Sigh of relief>.
    Thank you!
    ~Kimberlee

    Kimberlee, Jul 20, 2004

  3. I look forward to the day when I can close the elist I created just to avoid the
    trash on this group. however, it is still there but with only some 44 members.
    but, it is fully moderated and nothing is getting thru it!!
    Again, feel free to join if your newsreader doesn't work with this feature set.
    example is Forte's Agent which I use.

    the trash level is unbelieveable on this list now, I usually set to ignore or
    even delete as many as 225 messages every evening.

    just incredible.

    chas

    --
    chas
    The new Canon DSLR elist. no trolls, etc

    schuetzen - RKBA!, Jul 20, 2004
  4. usenet

    usenet Guest

    Agent works fine with this program - that is what I'm using myself. :)

    usenet, Jul 21, 2004
  5. usenet

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that "Kimberlee"
    My pleasure, Kimberlie. :)

    I'll post updates to the filter, as required.

    Lionel, Jul 21, 2004
  6. usenet

    Rick Guest

    Chas, I use Outlook Newsreader and when I find a message that I don't want
    to deal with, I go to Message/Block Sender. That has eliminated most of the
    trash that I don't want to see. Other readers may have the same feature.

    Rick

    Rick, Jul 21, 2004
  7. usenet

    usenet Guest

    That works too, but you have to keep on adding new addresses because the
    trolls keep on changing them to avoid kill-files. The advantage of
    useing nfilter is that you can eliminate crossposted junk completely, &
    there's nothing that the trolls can do to get around that. That just
    leaves the trolls who only post to this group, who you can easily
    killfile by author.

    usenet, Jul 21, 2004
  8. I would like to say right char and now!! that this sucker works!!
    if you get irritated with teh crap on this list, then go download this filter
    and .dat file and run it. superb doggie!

    if this is beyond you, and you are into CANON dslrs, then join the list..

    thanks again for the individual attention in setting the program up.

    really neat!!

    schuetzen - RKBA!, Jul 21, 2004