    Will someone please tell me how to get rid of this menace and I will be very
    grateful indeed.

    John

    JOHN, Jun 22, 2003

  2. JOHN

    °Mike° Guest

    <Canned response>

    You should install a firewall, since the messenger service uses
    ports 137-139 (NETBIOS), which should be blocked by your
    firewall.

    Right click on 'My Computer', select 'Manage' ... 'Services
    and Applications', double click 'services', double click
    'messenger' and press 'Stop' / Apply / OK.

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;Q330904

    Windows Messages
    http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

    How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger Service
    http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/messengerService.html

    How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
    XP-Based Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;Q302089

    Disable-Remove Windows Messenger

    Firewalls:
    ------------
    Outpost

    Sygate
    http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm

    Zone Alarm
    http://www.zonelabs.com/

    °Mike°, Jun 22, 2003

  3. JOHN

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Thund3rstruck mused:

    | Scroll down to messenger, right click on it, left click on
    | properties, then change "Automatic" to "Manual". (This stops it for
    | good) Click "Stop" to stop it for the remainder of your login session.

    Actually, it only stops it until something makes a call to start it
    again. Selecting "Disable" instead of "Manual" will stop it for good.

    mhicaoidh, Jun 22, 2003
  4. JOHN

    Richard Guest

    No problem. C:\program files\Messenger.
    Right click on the folder and select rename.
    I renamed mine to "no-messenger".
    If I ever want to use the damn thing all I have to do is to rename it the
    right way.
    Renaming causes the EXE file to be bypassed because it can't be found.
    Since messenger is an option, OE or what ever, assumes you have the option
    to activate the program turned off.

    Richard, Jun 22, 2003
  5. JOHN

    Richard Guest

    Rename the actual folder and you're guaranteed to never be bothered again.

    Richard, Jun 22, 2003
  6. mhicaoidh rambled on about something in
    Point well taken.

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Jun 22, 2003
  7. JOHN

    Jimchip Guest

    Typical of St00pid's advice- 'Rename the file or folder' instead of doing it
    right and telling the OS to turn it off. At least Rts didn't continue with
    "and search the registry for all instances and delete them".

    Troll-o-meter: "Richard" = Richard Bullis; Category = Kook
    -----------------------
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    -----------------------
    /\

    Don't listen to "Richard". If there is ever any truth to what
    he says it is for the same reason a broken clock is correct twice a day.

    An example of Richard Bullis' technical knowledge:
    "Ho hum. another loudmouth wise ass.
    first of all buddy boy, newsgroups are not attached to the internet.
    they are two seperate entities.
    as a matter of fact, the newsgroups were on line before the internet
    was."

    A recent reply to Richard Bullis:
    "I really hate to say this, but Bullis....you are an absolute idiot. I
    am in awe at your complete lack of comprehension ability, and your utter
    ignorance."

    ---*For More Information On NetKook Richard Bullis*---
    http://www.lart.com/rtsfaq/
    http://www.cabal.net/cenkoc/index1.html

    Jimchip, Jun 22, 2003
  8. Richard rambled on about something in
    OK. Let me get this straight.

    You want him to rename c:\winnt\system32 to something else? Doing
    so would really raise a lot of 'Computer Hell', especially when
    almost everything quit working.

    Shit, Debbie from ACS knows more about how computers work, than you
    appear...and she's wrong 99% of the time!

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Jun 22, 2003
  9. Richard rambled on about something in
    Wrong messenger. He is not talking about MSNIM. He's talking about
    the Windows Service Messenger. They are two totally different
    programs.

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Jun 22, 2003