    programs that were certainly not running when I turned off. It doesn't seem
    to be causing any probs. But surely this is not right. Any help
    appreciated.

    Jen, Oct 4, 2005

  2. Jen

    Unk Guest

    Click Start - Run - Regedit
    Navigate to the following Registry key:
    HKEY CURRENT USER\Control Panel\Desktop\
    Double click on the 'AutoEndTasks' entry and replace the 0 with a 1 in the Value data text box

    Click File, Exit

    Unk, Oct 4, 2005

  3. Jen

    Jen Guest

    I tried it, but it didn't work. Any other ideas?

    Jen, Oct 4, 2005
  4. Jen

    Unk Guest

    I should have added "Reboot for the changes to take effect".
    Here's another that will speed up things...

    Windows caches .dll files to speed disk I/O. However, even after you close the calling program,
    the .dll file remains cached. To stop Windows from caching .dll files after you've closed the
    calling program, perform the following steps:

    Click Start - Run - Regedit
    Navigate to the following Registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\
    From the Edit menu, select New, DWORD Value.
    Enter the name AlwaysUnloadDLL , and then press Enter.
    Double-click the new value, set it to 1, and then click OK.
    Close the registry editor, and then reboot the machine for the change to take effect.

    To create a patch to do this for you, create a text file called DllCache.txt
    Select the below text beginning with the 'R' in REGEDIT4 and ending with the end of the blank
    line. Copy it to the clipboard and paste it into the text file and save. Rename it to
    "DLLCache.reg" and double click it to modify the registry.

    ------------- copy below this line -----------------------
    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer]
    "AlwaysUnloadDLL"=dword:00000001

    ------------- copy above this line -----------------------

    Unk, Oct 4, 2005
  5. Jen

    Jen Guest

    I just discovered that actually.
    I've now done that as well. Can you tell me what these things actually do,
    and how come they were changed. Thanks.

    Jen

    Jen, Oct 5, 2005
  6. Jen

    Unk Guest

    sound like it does to you?
    That kind of explains what it does, don't it?

    Unk, Oct 5, 2005