    Is there magic wand that could work here?
    thanks,

    Perila

    perila, May 1, 2006

  2. perila

    BIG NIGE Guest

    BIG NIGE, May 1, 2006

  3. perila

    Tony Guest

    The messages are actually an image so any email client won't read the text
    of the message. The spamming *rse's are also using other peoples email
    addresses as return addresses as well as posting from multiple different
    servers (exploiting open relays) so virtually impossible to block.

    Its all part of a "pump and dump" scam -
    http://www.svpal.org/subscriber/pumpanddump

    I wish I could find out where they were coming from as the b*stards are
    using one of my email addresses as a return address.

    Tony, May 1, 2006
  4. perila

    Mike Easter Guest

    OE has extremely weak message rules which generally shouldn't even be
    used for trying to selectively divert spam from your Inbox.

    You should use a filter with power and which can use DNS blocklists and
    regular expressions in a manner similar to Spam Assassin, such as
    SpamPal.

    SpamPal can tag your spam and OE's simplistic message rule can divert
    the tagged spam into its own Junk folder. You shouldn't have to look at
    spamsubjects with human eyes to try to identify spam which can be
    identified much more finely and quickly and precisely and accurately
    before it ever gets to OE.

    Mike Easter, May 1, 2006
  5. perila

    Mara Guest

    Try looking here:

    http://www.spamnation.info/stocks/index.php

    and see if you see any familiar names.

    You can also report them to , and if the dealer is listed
    with NASD, . For other useful addresses, see:

    http://spamlinks.net/track-report-addresses.htm

    Forget reporting it to adelphia (if that's indeed your host) to try to get them
    to block it, though:

    Results 1 - 100 of 7,030 for adelphia group:news.admin.net-abuse.email

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?G37745B0D

    Results 1 - 100 of 38,300 for adelphia group:news.admin.net-abuse*

    "Maybe you should consider moving to a host that isn't part of the problem."

    Mara, May 1, 2006
  6. perila

    Mara Guest

    is not the answer. It's not even part of the question.

    Mara, May 1, 2006
  7. perila

    Whiskers Guest

    Can you disable 'inline display' of attachments in your email program? A
    lot of spam is using images to carry the message. That gets past any
    filters that only work on text.

    If you don't have the images de-coded and displayed in the message 'window',
    then at least you don't see them. You'll also be a bit safer from the
    hazards of spyware and nasties being embedded in images.

    'Hueristic' or 'artificial intelligence' spam filters tend to be quite
    effective. I don't know of there are any stand-alone programs for your
    operating system that would do that. There may be some email programs
    that include effective spam filtering tools; the email program built into
    the Opera browser certainly does.

    Whiskers, May 1, 2006
  8. perila

    Plato Guest

    Never use your real email address for webpages, purchases, etc. Use a
    disposable email address.

    Plato, May 2, 2006