Merry Xmas from the Commerce Commission - NOT

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by EMB, Dec 20, 2005.

  1. EMB

    EMB Guest

    EMB, Dec 20, 2005

  2. EMB

    David Guest

    How does this affect other ISPs? And what about the
    not-being-able-to-download-faster-than-4mbit-at-128k-up thing?

    David, Dec 20, 2005

  3. EMB

    Who Am I Guest

    The 128k uplink speed is to prevent the user from trying to do anything
    useful such as having multiple people within the same household use
    multimedia stuff such as webcams, skype, P2P, etc simultaneously, ie
    they don't want you using technology to be able to keep in touch with
    people around the world and not make a toll call at a much higher profit
    margin for them.

    Fortunately my link is a 192k upload because that is what they were
    contracted to supply before they cut it back. In effect the early
    adopters with Xtra got 192k uploads while telecom would only allow other
    ISPs to offer 128k. A complaint about unfair competition meant that
    everyone had to use 128k, but those who had already signed up for the
    better deal still go to keep it.

    Who Am I, Dec 20, 2005
  4. EMB

    -=rjh=- Guest

    OK, but what does that include - is that just access to UBS, so data
    will be extra, or is it like UBS offered to other ISPs, with limits
    imposed by Telecom (like the 10GB per month per customer we currently
    enjoy).

    And that's the price to TC, isn't it? So what will that translate into
    for their customers?
    Most people will neither know or care about this limitation, and if it
    does become obvious, why, Telecom can just offer another tier of
    products with 256K upstream :)

    -=rjh=-, Dec 20, 2005
  5. EMB

    EMB Guest

    That is the price to TC, but it's comparable with what the 2Mb/s plans
    are currently wholesaled at. And AFAIK it's only for backhaul as far as
    the ISP. However Telescum don't actually enforce any data cap, they
    just provide a (relatively small) fixed amount of backhaul bandwidth per
    connection thus limiting the overall data throughput between the ISP and
    the DSLAM. The bonus is that it will apply to business connections too
    so hopefully the outrageous price differential for a business ADSL
    connection will disappear.
    Effectively it makes running a server impossible, and caps the
    downstream to about 4Mb/s because 128kb/s won't carry the ACK packets
    generated by a faster downstream data rate.

    EMB, Dec 20, 2005
  6. EMB

    EMB Guest

    The other ISPs are going to have to negotiate with Telescum to get the
    same deal. I'm betting that Telescum will happily give it to them
    because if other ISPs have to chase another determination about it they
    will also be asking for a higher upstream data rate (to overcome the
    limitation you mention above).

    EMB, Dec 20, 2005
  7. EMB

    Bruce Knox Guest

    My connection with paradise is meant to be 256/128 but always connects
    at 320/160. A small bonus.
    Bruce.

    Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
    http://physio.otago.ac.nz

    Bruce Knox, Dec 20, 2005
  8. EMB

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    The 128k uplink speed is to prevent the user from trying to do anything
    useful such as having multiple people within the same household use
    multimedia stuff such as webcams, skype, P2P, etc simultaneously, ie
    they don't want you using technology to be able to keep in touch with
    people around the world and not make a toll call at a much higher profit
    margin for them.

    Fortunately my link is a 192k upload because that is what they were
    contracted to supply before they cut it back. In effect the early
    adopters with Xtra got 192k uploads while telecom would only allow other
    ISPs to offer 128k. A complaint about unfair competition meant that
    everyone had to use 128k, but those who had already signed up for the
    better deal still go to keep it.[/QUOTE]

    Meanwhile those of us on cable are moving to 2 Mbps upstream with static
    IP numbers, and with a choice of 2 Mbps or 10 Mbps down (2 is plenty, im
    my opinion).

    Bruce Hoult, Dec 20, 2005
  9. EMB

    EMB Guest

    That's normal and everyobe gets it - the extra is an allowance for the
    system overheads.

    EMB, Dec 20, 2005
  10. I believe it is done that way to account for all the data
    transmission overheads inherent with ADSL, in effect your connection is
    still only 256/128

    Pacific Dragon, Dec 20, 2005
  11. I've seen quite a few more than 4M connections and they wok fine. (even with
    TCP).
    ACK packets? there is much more than TCP. VOD over UDP will work fine.

    Even so the Recieve window on most OS's is not designed for high speed
    connections and
    changing it can make connections go faster.

    Thanks
    Craig

    Craig Whitmore, Dec 20, 2005
  12. EMB

    Allistar Guest

    It all depends on what sort of server you want to run. I run an ssh server
    with no issues over a 128kb/s connection. Try uploading a large file usig
    it though and you'll notice the limitation.

    128kb/s is NOT broadband. How most NZ ISPs get away with calling it
    broadband is beyond me.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Dec 20, 2005
  13. EMB

    Mutlley Guest

    Is this speed from your ADSL router panel or something like DW
    meter??

    Mutlley, Dec 20, 2005
  14. EMB

    Mutlley Guest

    I listen to a mouth piece from the CC on Nat radio this morning saying
    exactly that. This guy could have been a PR man for Telecom by the
    way he spoke.

    Mutlley, Dec 20, 2005
  15. EMB

    Mutlley Guest

    If there resale of Telecom's dial tone a year or two is anything to go
    by then don't expect and price or cap differences..

    Mutlley, Dec 20, 2005
  16. Plus getting charged 10 times the price for National traffic

    This is great progress

    Yours satirically
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Dec 20, 2005
  17. EMB

    Bruce Knox Guest

    It is the connection speed from the modem to the exchange (dslam?). As
    other have said I think it must be to allow for overheads. When I do a
    download test it comes out closer to the 256kbps.
    Bruce.

    Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
    http://physio.otago.ac.nz

    Bruce Knox, Dec 21, 2005