    insurance for uninsured children in central Texas while the legislature
    debated their program to death. That has to go on the plus side of the
    ledger.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 30, 2006

  2. Alan Browne

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Perhaps that is because you have never met the man, spent time with him,
    or observed him about his daily business. Perhaps you could ask some of
    his neighbors, or friends, or maybe the people who work in the White
    House. I am sure they could give you some insight.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 30, 2006

  3. Alan Browne

    Mark² Guest

    The difficulty comes because the "proof" of God doesn't come in a
    scientifically measurable form.
    There will always be that disparity, so if the scientist insists that God
    follow this formula, you may simply be ensuring yourself that you miss it.

    Believe me when I say how I wish it could be proven "scientifically" Alan.
    I struggle with the propensity to demand scientific proof, and you're right
    that faith becomes a clear factor. In the eyes of science, faith seems
    foolish, and to those of us who value scientific thinking, this becomes a
    problem. I haven't solved that problem even in my own thinking, so I really
    do understand your point. I am convinced, though, that there is more to
    existence than can be measured. I guess that in itself is a kind of faith,
    regardless of whether I attribute that to God...but there it is. Not all
    things can be logically explained. I think that's the ultimate
    disparity...since the basic principle of science is that ALL things have a
    coherant explanation...and that for those areas we don't understand, it's
    merely because we haven't yet identified the logical explanation. I am
    convinced that there are some areas that are, and will remain, beyond the
    reach of scientific explanation. -Not because they are just too difficult
    to get at, but because their very nature is at odds with scientific
    laws/thoeries, etc. The concept of ultimate "beginning" will
    never...ever...be explained. It is literally impossible to comprehend the
    idea that there was ALWAYS matter of some kind. You can't comprehend it,
    because it simply doesn't make scientific sense, and it NEVER will. At some
    point, you bump up against that. Does this automatically point to a deity?
    No. But...it the point at which science also falls apart. There will NEVER
    be an explanation that accounts for the timeless existence of matter. -What
    came before the big bang? How did that get there? What came before that?
    How did that get there? What started it all? And what started the stuff
    that started it all. This is doomed to being a forever-imponderable, and is
    an example of a concept that will never be explained by science...or
    religion.

    Mark², Dec 30, 2006
  4. Alan Browne

    Mark² Guest

    Tell that to the founding fathers.
    They were clearly nuts...if it's nuts to believe you are led by God.

    Mark², Dec 30, 2006

  5. I've posted from time to time the following tag:

    In addition to it's, we can have hi's, her's and their's!!!

    Help stamp out repetition, gratuitous apostrophe's, and NEEDLESS',
    redundant, and WHOLLY UNNECESSARY CAPITALIZATION, **AND**superflous
    *EMPHASIS*. And tautological statements which waste space and can be
    repetitive or even wordy in and of themselves', thus taking more time to
    read, or even think about; it's tedious and enervating.

    These are *THE* internet *SCOURGES'*, along with exclamation point'In
    additon to it's, we can have hi's, her's and their's!!!

    It, above, that is, is a bit much, tho. There're a couple of extras in
    the subject line.

    John McWilliams, Dec 30, 2006
  6. Alan Browne

    Mark² Guest

    Sure. It's good.
    He also made sure that you heard all about it, and thatyou gave him "credit"
    for it.
    One of my pet peeves is when companies write a HUGE, 4-foot-long check to
    some charity, and then throw themselves a big party to show how charitable
    they are.

    Yes...it's good and nice for the receiver...but it also becomes self-serving
    at some point.

    Mark², Dec 30, 2006
  7. Alan Browne

    Justin C Guest

    I agree with that. I do, however, take pleasure in signs for businesses
    that are obviously expensive but which they couldn't be bothered to
    proof. The sign writer is at fault also, but if the customer insists I
    think it only correct that we ridicule them.

    Justin C, Dec 30, 2006
  8. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    I get ya. My SO and you would get along just fine.

    Everytime scientists dig down (or out) there just seems to be more and
    more to discover and it is harder and harder every time. I believe that
    nature is so exceedingly complex and infinitely divisble that we'll
    never glimpse the whole story, not even a significant part of it. And
    that is okay.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Dec 30, 2006
  9. I hope God also remembers the countless times that I have cussed Gates out
    for having to fight with his miserable operating system, where the "Help"
    vocabulary and the "error message" vocabulary have absolutely nothing in
    common.....

    Meanwhile you have people

    William Graham, Dec 30, 2006
  10. If Atheism is a religion, then you must admit that the word, "God" should be
    stricken from all public records, buildings, statues, flags, pledges, and
    etc.........Even I, as an atheist, wouldn't blame the holocaust on the
    Christians........

    William Graham, Dec 30, 2006
  11. But it was Congress who changed the pledge of allegiance to the flag to
    include the words, "under God" instead of "indivisible", back in the
    50's......

    William Graham, Dec 30, 2006
  12. Actually, if atheism was considered a religion legally, it would
    probably be difficult to remove the word God as that would mean that
    Congress was preferring a particular religion, Atheism.

    Barry L. Wallis, Dec 30, 2006
  13. Yes. Hitler, (for one) believed in astrology.....He looked to the stars for
    justification of his decisions.....There is the story of how, in 1944 he
    went out on the veranda of his castle one evening in Bertesgarten, and
    looked at the sky and knew that Germany was going to lose the war.....The
    sky was black with B-17's.........

    William Graham, Dec 30, 2006
  14. Alan Browne

    Pudentame Guest

    Yes, but which group are you cross posting from? Hmmmm?

    Pudentame, Dec 30, 2006
  15. Seems pretty convoluted to me......Like the NLRB election they held where I
    worked back in the 70's.....They had four unions and "no union at all" on
    the ballot. "No union at all" won with about 35% of the vote....So....they
    threw out "no union at all" (because it got less than 50%) and held another
    election with just the four unions....... That's the same sort of convoluted
    reasoning that would insist on the word "God" being there, because more than
    50% believed in some God or other.....
    Fortunately, it wouldn't matter....We atheists have no ax to grind....We
    could care less, because we've got nothing to lose other than the miniscule
    amount of taxpayers money it takes to carve the word, "God" into the stone
    faces of the buildings.....It's the true believers who are hell bent on
    killing each other over whether (for example) full immersion is necessary
    for true baptism....:^)

    William Graham, Dec 30, 2006
  16. Alan Browne

    Pudentame Guest

    Actually, he said god tells him what to do.

    "God told me to strike at al Qaeda and I struck them, and then He
    instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined
    to solve the problem in the Middle East. If you help me, I will act, and
    if not, the elections will come and I will have to focus on them."

    GWB to Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abas, June 2003

    Palestinian negotiator Nabil Shaath attended the meeting and says:

    "President Bush said to all of us: 'I'm driven with a mission from God.
    God would tell me, George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan.
    And I did, and then God would tell me, George, go and end the tyranny in
    Iraq... And I did.

    "'And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, Go get the
    Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get
    peace in the Middle East. And by God I'm gonna do it.'"

    Pudentame, Dec 30, 2006
  17. Alan Browne

    Pudentame Guest

    Which obviously he does. Goes in one ear and right out the other.

    Pudentame, Dec 30, 2006
  18. Alan Browne

    Mark² Guest

    Wow. Now THERE'S a reliable source (not!).
    Don't be a sucker.

    Mark², Dec 30, 2006
  19. And he would, unless the evil Democrats come along, and put an end to his
    efforts........

    William Graham, Dec 30, 2006
  20. Alan Browne

    Pudentame Guest

    OTOH, the President swears an oath to "preserve, protect and defend the
    Constitution of the United States". Amendments binding Congress not to
    make laws bind the executive not to go outside the law.

    The purpose of the 1st Amendment is as much to keep government out of
    religion as it is to keep religion out of government.

    Pudentame, Dec 30, 2006