    Gee. Can you think of any way this might POSSIBLY be a problem with
    translation?????
    Come on Alan. Don't be a sucker.

    Mark², Dec 29, 2006

  2. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Your sensitivity is showing. I prefaced that with "hearsay" as the
    quotation I presented was reported second-hand.

    In a country that has a fundamental separation of Church and state, it
    is a bit irksome (at least) when Bush is on the record as saying:

    "I appreciate that question because I, in the state of Texas,
    had heard a lot of discussion about a faith-based initiative
    eroding the important bridge between church and state." GWB

    Bush makes a lot of references to God in his speeches.

    The US Supreme Court has historically been very conservative in its
    interpretation of the establishment clause. In great part to avoid the
    influence of any religion on government which was a plaguing problem in
    Europe for the last 1000 years.

    BTW: I have no "anti-religious" bias. OTOH, I don't have a moment of
    patience for those who assert creationism as being truth.

    What does George believe? Evolution or creationism?

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Browne, Dec 29, 2006

  3. Alan Browne

    Cynicor Guest

    So you were there in Smoketown, PA when he said or didn't say "God
    speaks through me?" I'll take the word of the reporter over the word of
    the White House press secretary on this one.

    Cynicor, Dec 29, 2006
  4. Alan Browne

    Cynicor Guest

    That's scary enough, because he uses it as justification for killing
    600,000 civilians in a war without having any plan to win it. I doubt
    that's what God would have told him to do, and frankly his insistence
    that it's what God told him to do is delusional.

    Cynicor, Dec 29, 2006
  5. Alan Browne

    Mark² Guest

    I say it with confidence only because I know that that statement is not
    consistent with his beliefs.
    The White House specifically addressed such a question after it came up due
    to a triple translation gaff where an arabic man took notes in arabic
    regarding words Bush spoke in english...after the arabic notes of an english
    speech were again translated back into english...reandering the word
    "through" instead of "to."

    This was widely covered some time ago.

    Mark², Dec 29, 2006
  6. Alan Browne

    Mark² Guest

    Most Christians would use a phrase like that to describe the influence of
    God in their lives. If it's scary to you, it's likely because you're simply
    unfamiliar with the use of this phrase. It doesn't mean anyone is hearing
    little voices, etc. Don't make a mountain out of a teaspoon.

    Mark², Dec 29, 2006
  7. Alan Browne

    Mark² Guest

    The question isn't that simple. There are many forms of "creationism."
    Do I think God had something to do with the universe? Yes.
    Do I think he did it in 7 days? Nope.
    Do I think it matters HOW he did it? Nope.
    Is it in conflict with the accepted laws of science? Not in my view, no.
    Some creationists assert a stance that excludes the concept of billions of
    years, etc. I think they're full of it, and do a disservice to Christians
    by pretending they speak for Bible believing folk. There is room for
    science under the umbrella of a creator.

    Mark², Dec 29, 2006
  8. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    The spin house addressed that? Oh! Sorry. My mistake!

    ( <g> )

    Seriously, it's bad enough when a reporter misquotes or when a reader
    misinterprets, but when the "White House" then "tells us what he said"
    then there is no possible way to know what:
    -he believes he said
    -he meant to say
    -what was said
    -what was interpreted to be said
    -what others (cleaning up the mess) are telling us he said
    -what Mrs. Shapiro told Mr. Greene what she thinks he meant to say and
    isn't it a shame that Mrs. Cooper is a you-know-what?
    -why the price of copper is so high
    -etc.

    But I've done some research and I will now tell you what Bush said
    (since eveyone seems to need somebnody else to say what he said.

    Remember, you heard it here first.

    This is what Dub-ya said: "Look, have a photo taken with me and I'll,
    you know, fund some new faith based initiative scissors for your beards.
    You gotta, you know, cut them off. You know, you look like terrorists
    to me. You can't get fooled again."

    And that phrase was misquoted as "God speaks through me." You can see
    it was an honest misquote. Misquotations and Bush seem, you know, to go
    together.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Dec 29, 2006
  9. That's indeed the trouble with people like you.

    Q.G. de Bakker, Dec 29, 2006
  10. Alan Browne

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Yes, but then so did JFK, and George Washington, and Abe Lincoln.

    As for the last question, why does that matter to you?
    Some of us believe in both.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 30, 2006
  11. Alan Browne

    Ron Hunter Guest

    When you read the creation account in Genesis, and compare it with the
    current 'big bang' theory, they are quite similar. If fact, I consider
    the account to be about as good a non-technical explanation of the Big
    Bang theory as any I have read.
    The difference is in the time element, which we are quite sure couldn't
    have been measured in that actual situation.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 30, 2006
  12. Alan Browne

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Reading Stranger on Valentine's day would be highly appropriate, given
    the name of the main character...

    Ron Hunter, Dec 30, 2006
  13. Alan Browne

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Am am NOT the one who is nighr-blind driving on an unlit road at night,
    YOU are. Now who is a stupid ass?

    Ron Hunter, Dec 30, 2006
  14. Alan Browne

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I think you are confusing him with Oral Roberts, or maybe Pat Robertson.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 30, 2006
  15. Alan Browne

    Mark² Guest

    I believe in what I'd call theistic evolution.
    I think God is in charge, but see no reason why his means of creation would
    have to be incompatible with scientific principles. The Bible's reference
    to time is very loose and uses language devices of the day, and should not
    be taken like clockwork. I don't have a problem at all with the concept of
    evolution somehow being incompatible with God.

    Mark², Dec 30, 2006
  16. Alan Browne

    Mark² Guest

    Right.
    If the "story of creation" came to Moses or other early writers, they would
    have to write it using terms they understood. Suppose an eon passed before
    your eyes in a matter of moments. How would you describe what you saw? How
    would you describe it in the language of thousands of years ago? You most
    definitely would NOT have the terminology of describe it in terms that are
    scientifically used today. You'd tell a story of it. You'd describe it in
    human terms. I believe the Genesis account is just that. -A description of
    the birth of the universe, earth, etc. And I agree...that the description
    follows a clear path from simplicity to complexity. Chaos...to order.
    Sound familiar, scientists?

    Mark², Dec 30, 2006
  17. Alan Browne

    Mark² Guest

    Oops. Misspoke. -Should have read, "I don't think the concept of evolution
    is somehow incompatible with God."

    Mark², Dec 30, 2006
  18. Alan Browne

    Mark² Guest

    There are indeed some misguided folks out there, and I think you've named
    two.
    Oral Roberts more so, but both are indeed misguided, IMO.

    Mark², Dec 30, 2006
  19. << Snipped bits out >>

    Gentlemen, Princes of the OT:

    Now you've both gone over the limit of decency, so let's call it off,
    O.K.?? Please, both of you take some time off, or at least kf one
    another. Please.

    Note the ironic Subject Line, too, for a wee hoot.

    John McWilliams, Dec 30, 2006
  20. I thought God speaks to all Christians....Surely they wouldn't believe in
    such a ridiculous entity unless He spoke to them from time to time? He
    certainly never actually DOES anything for them......

    William Graham, Dec 30, 2006