    latched onto by a group of Christianists because it is VERY profitable
    for them.

    Anyway, merry Christmas everyone.

    Cynicor, Dec 27, 2006

  2. Alan Browne

    Bill Funk Guest

    As I understand the story, the Rabbi had contacted a lawyer, which
    (reasonably enough) made the SEATAC airport management think a suit
    was forthcoming (why else use a lawyer?).
    The management, in turn, figured they didn't have the resources to
    become social anthropologists to figure out all the different symbols
    they would need to put up to satisfy everyone, so they decided instead
    to forget the whole holiday thing.
    The Rabbi, in his turn, expressed dismay that his request resulted in
    removal of the trees, and said he never wanted to sue (why the
    lawyer?), and dropped his complaint/request. Or, request/complaint.
    Whichever it was.

    Bill Funk, Dec 27, 2006

  3. Alan Browne

    Pudentame Guest

    If I could just get the believing christians to leave me alone...

    Pudentame, Dec 27, 2006
  4. Alan Browne

    Ron Hunter Guest

    A simpler response would be to have told him to bring in all the
    religious symbols regarding his religion, and they would find space for
    them. But then someone would have had to have gotten off his bottom and
    gone out into the terminal area to find space. SEATAC is a rather large
    airport, and one can walk miles in it. So, the easy response was to
    remove the trees, given that could be done with a phone call.
    Typical bureaucracy.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 27, 2006
  5. So long as I'm happy while I'm alive, I don't care when I die.

    Bruce.

    Bruce Chastain, Dec 28, 2006
  6. So long as I'm happy while I'm alive, I don't care when I die.

    I have this vision of arriving in Heaven and God holding out
    his hand and smiling, asking "Well, tell me, how did you
    enjoy it?"

    Me: "I didn't, I was miserable worrying about the oil running
    out and public transportation and starving Lemurs and
    Mama taking my Kodachrome away and ..."

    God: "And after I put all that effort into making the universe
    you refused to enjoy it. What an ingrate."

    God picks up the phone:

    God: "Hey, Luce baby, I have another one who would really be
    much happier down there with you. Got any openings?
    Good ol' Luce, he always has room for one more."

    Nicholas O. Lindan, Dec 28, 2006
  7. And you somehow imagine that I would be happier in Hell? That's truely
    bizarre.

    Bruce.

    Bruce Chastain, Dec 28, 2006
  8. Not a problem for us atheists, we don't believe in the devil either,
    which is why these scare stories written to try and make us conform,
    will never work.

    Harry Stottle, Dec 28, 2006
  9. Alan Browne

    Mark² Guest

    I don't think Hell is a big fire-pit.
    I think Hell will be the place where people recognize that they've utterly
    missed their opportunity to know God...and are then faced with the reality
    of being eternally alone. If there is "knashing of teeth..." I think it
    will be due to ultimate lonliness...rather than physical pain or physical
    torment.

    But who cares what I think...

    Mark², Dec 28, 2006
  10. I think you are in for a big disappointment.

    Harry Stottle, Dec 28, 2006
  11. Alan Browne

    hoarcroft Guest

    In <1JMkh.191491$>, on 12/28/06
    Regarding your views about "god," I could not agree more... -

    hoarcroft, Dec 28, 2006
  12. Alan Browne

    Annika1980 Guest

    So what stops an atheist from just going around stealing and killing
    people they don't like?

    Annika1980, Dec 28, 2006
  13. Alan Browne

    Cgiorgio Guest

    It maybe something called "common sense" and "ethics", not too widespread
    between religious fundies however (crusades, witch trials, suicide
    terroriste etc.)

    Cgiorgio, Dec 28, 2006
  14. Alan Browne

    J. Clarke Guest

    The same thing that keeps Muslims from going around stealing and killing
    people they don't like? Oops.

    J. Clarke, Dec 28, 2006
  15. Atheists don't believe in god, that has nothing to do with not believing
    in law and order, which can be easily achieved without the threat of an
    imaginary hell.

    Harry Stottle, Dec 28, 2006
  16. Alan Browne

    Mark² Guest

    Belief in Gad is not dependant upon a fear of "hell."

    Mark², Dec 28, 2006
  17. Alan Browne

    Bill Funk Guest

    If the atheists are right, he won't be disappointed.
    He won't be anything.

    Bill Funk, Dec 28, 2006
  18. Alan Browne

    Mark² Guest

    If there is any disappointment after death (or any thought at all, for that
    matter), then atheists may have some reason for concern. If they're right,
    then neither of us will care. If I'm right, there may indeed be
    disappointment.

    Mark², Dec 28, 2006
  19. Alan Browne

    Pudentame Guest

    Bill Cosby once had a routine about driving a Volkswagon in San
    Francisco. He was ok until he had to stop on a hill. Didn't know how to
    start again using the clutch and was stuck 'cause he didn't want to roll
    backwards and end up drowning in the bay.

    He said he could just envision it ...

    St. Peter: "And how did *you* die?"

    Bill Cosby: "I rolled a VW backwards into San Francisco bay and drowned."

    St. Peter: "You go to hell!"

    Pudentame, Dec 28, 2006
  20. Alan Browne

    J. Clarke Guest

    The thing about religion is that it allows a level of social control
    between that of "enlighened self interest" and that of "do this and those
    men over there will beat the crap out you and lock you in a cage".

    Doesn't always work, but neither does enlightened self interest or the
    threat of violence, just gives another option.

    Also, since it is possible for one who believes in God to blame God for
    unavoidable tragedies, and since there is no percentage at all in filing
    lawsuits against God, a widespread belief in such an entity can cut down
    on the lawsuits.

    J. Clarke, Dec 28, 2006