    Sue Guest

    Novice digital camera user! If I buy a memory card for my camera,
    will that also do the same job as a memory stick?

    Sue, Dec 11, 2003

  2. Sue

    Thor Guest

    Memory "stick" and memory "card" are probably different types of Digital
    Camera/flash memory. There are multiple memory form factors for cameras, and
    you need to make sure you get the type that your camera can use. Others will
    not fit.

    Here are most of the major formats

    Compact Flash (CF)
    Multimedia Card (MMC)
    Smart Media
    Secure Media Card
    MemoryStick (common on Sony products)
    MemoryStick Pro (new, higher capacity version of MemoryStick)

    There are others, but they escape my memory at the moment. The point is,
    make sure the type you buy is precisely the type your camera is supposed to
    use.

    Thor, Dec 11, 2003

  3. Sue

    Night_Seer Guest

    Memory sticks usually only work in Sony Products, though some newer
    Samsung products have been starting to use them. Like Thor said, they
    are not interchangeable (though I believe there are adapters to go from
    Compact flash to some others).

    Night_Seer, Dec 11, 2003
  4. Sue

    Thor Guest

    I use memory stick in my Sony camera. I wish they used a more universal
    format, but I'm happy with the performance of what i have, and memory stick
    readers are easy to find these days. Many multiformat readers have memory
    stick capability as well these days.

    Thor, Dec 11, 2003
  5. Sue

    Night_Seer Guest

    My new printer came with a reader built in...this is the greatest
    idea ever...well not the greatest, but still good. I think the worst
    thing about the memory stick format is now its divided between regular
    ones and the Pro version, which holds larger amounts (256 and up). They
    make a Memory stick duo (or dual i don't know), that holds 128 on each
    side and works in any of the readers. I have a Sony TV that takes my
    memory stick directly and lets me do a slide show from it, but only for
    the older format. What's up with this magic gate memory stick..what the
    hell is it?

    Night_Seer, Dec 11, 2003
  6. Special version that supports copy protection. Basically, you can't
    store copy-protected files on the standard version but you can on the
    MagicGate version-not sure how it works as I avoid copy-protected files
    like the plague.

    Calvin Crumrine, Dec 11, 2003
  7. Smart Media seems on its way out. Don't believe they make one greater
    than 256MB. (256MB might be plenty for still cameras, but the fact that
    they quit making them at that point indicates to me that the entire
    format is on its way out.)

    We've also had problems with SM cards & readers. At home I have an older
    camera that uses an SM card, but no reader-I always download directly
    from the camera. The card has worked fine for several years now. In the
    office we have several cards & a reader so someone else can use the
    camera while the first pictures are being downloaded. The result is that
    we're always swapping cards in the camera-and we replace the cards
    annually because they quit working. IMO the problem is wear on the
    contacts from constantly swapping them.

    At home I also have several Sony products that use memory sticks. I'm
    constantly swapping those & haven't had any problems yet-so I think the
    contact design is better than on the Smart Media. Not sure about the
    other formats as I have no experience with them yet. My next camera will
    probably use one of the other formats-not sure which one, yet.

    BTW, I ran across an interesting product relating to this-called the
    Jump Drive. It's a USB drive much like a keychain or thumb drive, but
    instead of having its own drive it's actually an adapter/reader for one
    or more types of memory cards. Lets you use the memory cards not just
    for pictures but also as (small) removable drives.

    Calvin Crumrine, Dec 11, 2003
  8. Sue

    Night_Seer Guest

    Ah yes...i'll avoid these sticks like the plague too...unless its
    something like those password protected USB keychain drives...that's
    always a nice thing to have.

    Night_Seer, Dec 11, 2003
  9. Sue

    Night_Seer Guest

    Yeah my memory sticks have been going and going...don't think I've
    ever seen a smart media card. The only other one i've used is a SD-MMC
    card in my MP3 player. seems to work ok, but I don't swap it very
    much...these are getting to be a very popular format, and larger sizes
    seem to be backwards compatible OK. My MP3 player now can hold 512MB
    (256 on board and a 256 SD_MMC card).

    Night_Seer, Dec 11, 2003
  10. Sue

    Thor Guest

    MagicGate is a secure format that allows you to "copyright" the pictures.
    Don't ask me what that means, but I assume it means the images cannot be
    retrieved unless you have the appropriate passwords/codes/software. I have a
    Dual 128 stick, and it works well. The pro sticks are only an issue in older
    stuff. My new camera accepts Pro, standard, and Magicgate.

    Thor, Dec 11, 2003
  11. Sue

    Night_Seer Guest

    Yeah My TV is about 14 months old, and won't accept Pro sticks, kind of
    sucks, but I guess if I used it often enough I can save an old stick and
    make a custom slide show all set up perfectly, though with only 128 MB
    of memory.

    Night_Seer, Dec 11, 2003