    won't even load up my profile..help!

    Thanks

    Sar

    queeniesara, Feb 25, 2005

  2. queeniesara

    Punchy Joe Guest

    Try loading windows in safe mode and deleting the program from the
    add/remove thingy

    Punchy Joe, Feb 25, 2005

  3. queeniesara

    James Guest

    James, Feb 25, 2005
  4. queeniesara

    Norma Guest

    Do you have multiplle surveillance programs for viruses, etc.??? This
    happened to my computer after my son put one too many on mine. I had to
    call the helpdesk for the manufacturer (Gateway in my case), and uninstall
    and re-install everything. It wasn't difficult, although it took a little
    time. But if you have the Wndows discs, it is an easy thing to do. I am
    assuming you have checked for viruses or checked the system for other
    problems. Norma

    Norma, Feb 26, 2005
  5. queeniesara

    Ron Martell Guest

    Those type of error message generally indicate a programming fault
    rather than a hardware problem.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Feb 26, 2005
  6. queeniesara

    Joel Rubin Guest

    I'm not sure how an end user (let alone the writer of the program)
    could begin to debug such an error but the only situation I can think
    of in which "memory can't be written" is that some other program owns
    the memory. An operating system which can run more than one program at
    one time had better have a way of preventing one program from
    stumbling over another and in particular, one program had better not
    be able to write to the memory being used by another.

    Of course, programs ask the operating system "please give me a block
    of so much memory to use". Perhaps the program is trying to use the
    memory before it successfully requests it?

    Joel Rubin, Feb 26, 2005

  7. Norma - reinstallation was completely unnecessary (unless it was NAV as that
    has a tendency to get everywhere and that can result in a reinstallation) as
    the applications could be removed quite easily without. Gateway (like HP
    and, to a lesser extent, Dell - though they have been better in recent
    years) don't know the first thing about technical support. Case in point: A
    couple of years back I was called by the wife of a friend of my father's
    because she couldn't get her new Gateway online (it wasn't picking up the
    modem - she only had dial up back then). Gateway said that something must
    have gone wrong with the Windows installation and had her reinstall - three
    times. Because she was a complete neophyte, she believed that 'technical
    support' meant exactly that - technical expertise from a knowledgeable
    professional. WRONG! Anyway, I looked at it, checked the settings and it
    definitely wasn't there; powered down, got out me trusty screwdriver,
    removed the chassis panel and, the problem was obvious - the modem card was
    floating around six inches from its slot! Plugged it back in, switched it
    back on, Windows picked it up, installed the driver, entered her ISP details
    and away she went - the whole job had taken no more than 10 minutes, if
    that. Result, one happy bunny and she has called me ever since.

    Technical support lines know nothing - they're only there to fob off newbies
    who know absolutely nothing.

    Miss Perspicacia Tick, Feb 26, 2005
  8. queeniesara

    James Guest

    Sounds like a bad pointer -

    James, Feb 26, 2005
  9. queeniesara

    queeniesara Guest

    *Thanks so much for your help everyone..and yes i agree about th
    technical ASSistance..haha. I just did a system restore and things ar
    working OK for the time being..I appreciate your response
    everyone..cheers!

    queeniesara, Feb 27, 2005
  10. queeniesara

    queeniesara Guest

    Oh, and on a further note, I still have NO idea why the heck it qui
    working...I asked a friend "can programs just stop working out o
    nowhere??" and he goes "believe it or not, yes...when it all comes dow
    to it, its magnetic...so yea..things just quit with no rhyme or reason
    hmmm...very interesting :

    queeniesara, Feb 27, 2005