    couple that I think may have issues (were cheap no branders that were
    bought for me, not my choise) and want to be sure if its the cards that
    have caused a couple of corrupt images or what.

    Richard, Feb 3, 2008

  2. Richard

    peterwn Guest

    I see testing them as problematic, since they are only 'good' for so
    many 'writes'. Hence programs that write and read random bytes would
    prematurely wear them out.

    I have discarded a memory stick because of probable corruption.

    If writing the stick / card from a computer, you could do a md5 check
    sum on the original and copy.

    See http://www.md5summer.org/ for suitable software.

    peterwn, Feb 3, 2008

  3. SRCDIR=/directory_containing_just_sufficient_files_to_fill_card
    DSTDIR=/media/card # or wherever card is mounted
    cp -a $SRCDIR $DSTDIR && diff -u $SRCDIR $DSTDIR

    Assuming the card was empty to begin with and tne copy completes
    successfully, if the diff shows any differences, then the card has
    problems.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 3, 2008
  4. Richard

    noone Guest

    I think here is Referring to memory cards Not Sticks..

    noone, Feb 3, 2008
  5. Richard

    peterwn Guest

    If OP is referring to memory cards as used in cameras etc, there is no
    significant difference between these and USB memory sticks for the
    purposes of this query.

    If OP is referring to 'sticks' that form part of a computer's memory
    (seems unlikely), then a thorough 'workout' by a testing program is
    feasible.

    A suitable one is on the systemrescuecd see:
    http://www.sysresccd.org/

    There are others kicking around too.

    peterwn, Feb 3, 2008