Memory card madness

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by NoNameAtAll, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. NoNameAtAll

    Chris Brown Guest

    Chris Brown, Jul 22, 2004

  2. NoNameAtAll

    Zebedee Guest

    I'm always puzzled by people who want to use phones as anything other than a
    phone. I wouldn't even consider a phone that masqueraded as a PC, a games
    machine or a tea-making-machine. I like a phone that's just that - a phone.
    I'm quite happy with my old Siemens C25. It's small enough for my pocket. It
    has a battery pack with easily-replaceable tagged AAA cells. It allows me to
    make and receive phonecalls. What more does one need?

    --
    Yours

    Zebedee

    (Claiming asylum in an attempt
    to escape paying his debts to
    Dougal and Florence)

    Zebedee, Jul 22, 2004

  3. NoNameAtAll

    Zebedee Guest

    Since most problems are to do with the disk configuration tables or with
    registry errors then one does not need more than a simple floppy disk.

    Zebedee, Jul 22, 2004
  4. NoNameAtAll

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Many, if not most, of the 'convergence devices' are based on the
    handheld form factor. That is they are much larger than phones to
    accomodate a larger screen, and keys for easy text entry.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 22, 2004
  5. NoNameAtAll

    stewy Guest

    Compact Flash is a nice size and it's OK up to 1gb. XD cards are way too
    small and pricey too boot. Memory stick technology found it's limit making
    Sony come up with Memory Stick Pro - the new profit maker.

    Unfortunately every maker believes they have the holy grail in media. Give
    it 5 years to shake out the rubbish.

    stewy, Jul 22, 2004
  6. NoNameAtAll

    Chris Brown Guest

    It's not so much that you'd want to use a phone for these other things. It's
    more that some people want a PDA, and a phone, and find carrying both to be
    cumbersome.

    Clearly there is a large market for these convergence devices, because
    they're now outselling tarditional PDAs in Europe (and probably elsewhere)
    by a significant margin.
    I need (in so much as one "needs" anything) to make and receive calls. I
    need a PDA. I like having an MP3 player. If one device that fits in my
    pocket satisfies these multiple requirements then I'm happy.

    Chris Brown, Jul 22, 2004
  7. NoNameAtAll

    Chris Brown Guest

    Hardly. I use one myself, a Sony Ericsson P800. It is a similar size to an
    ordinary, non-folding phone. Perhaps slightly wider. This is an early model,
    newer devices are slightly smaller still. Text entry is accomodated via a
    Palm-like character recognition system via a touchscreen, and it works well.
    Granted, the Nokia Communicator "bricks" are huge, but they're yesterday's
    news. Some of the PalmOS based convergence devices from US companies are
    rather bulky too, but US companies being a little "traditional" in mobile
    phone design is hardly anything new. ;->

    Chris Brown, Jul 22, 2004
  8. NoNameAtAll

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Well, there are a few things that could be added to increase its value,
    given that I am already carrying it. A small LED flashlight, a weather
    radio with warning tone, a good 4 function calculator, and an AM-FM
    radio. I understand there are some models with one, or more, of these
    features, but I feel they should be a starting point. None of them
    would add significant weight, or size, and would increase their
    usefulness while not impairing their primary function.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 22, 2004
  9. NoNameAtAll

    Ron Hunter Guest

    But a CD drive is virtually required in modern systems, why keep the
    ancient, and storage impaired floppy?

    Ron Hunter, Jul 22, 2004
  10. NoNameAtAll

    Ron Hunter Guest

    The day will NEVER come when I resort to writing on a phone screen!

    Ron Hunter, Jul 22, 2004
  11. ??? People don't get lost. Cell phones have GPS receivers, and can download
    _accurate_ maps for every point in Japan. Anywhere in Japan. I can't imagine
    that the US (or whereever you are would be behind Japan in this technology,
    right??? <g>

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jul 22, 2004
  12. NoNameAtAll

    Chris Brown Guest

    Why not? It works very well, as anyone who's ever used a Palm will testify.
    As an experiment, I was just able to scribble out, "The quick brown fox
    jumps over the lazy dog." in 22 seconds on my P800 with no errors. It took
    me 6 seconds to type it, and 17 seconds to write it (somewhat messily) with
    a ballpoint pen. Writing on a touchscreen with a stylus isn't uncomfortable
    and you can discreetly flip the phone open, remove the integrated stylus,
    scribble a note, email it to someone, flip the phone closed, put the stylus
    back and and stick the phone back in your pocket in less time than it would
    take someone to boot up a Laptop, or operate a fax machine.

    It's really useful in other ways as well. Say you're meeting someone and
    they got lost. Use the integrated camera to snap your location, draw a quick
    map on the touchscreen, scribble down some directions (watching as the phone
    magically turns ones semi-legible scrawl into neat typed bullet points),
    stick the whole lot together as an MMS and send it to their phone.

    Chris Brown, Jul 22, 2004
  13. NoNameAtAll

    Zebedee Guest

    Principally because it's small and convenient.

    If they bring out and keep a standard storage medium that can be used by all
    motherboards both ancient and modern then certainly change. The fact is that
    there are still a lot of 286, 386, 486 etc systems still in use.

    Zebedee, Jul 22, 2004
  14. Ha. The USA (and Canada) have about 4 mutually incompatible signal
    formats for cellphones, all currently in use. Most cellphones still
    don't do general data transfer.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Jul 22, 2004
  15. NoNameAtAll

    Ron Recer Guest

    From: "Zebedee" [email protected]
    Many (perhaps even most) new computers don't have floppy drives. They are out
    dated and don't have enough capacity for useful amounts of data. Generally,
    they won't hold more than one high res jpeg photo and can't begin to hold a RAW
    or TIFF file. You would be lucky to find much useful software that would fit
    on a floppy.

    Ron
    in Oklahoma who doesn't miss floppy drives or zip drives

    Ron Recer, Jul 22, 2004
  16. NoNameAtAll

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In the USA perhaps. In Europe virtually all new phones sold have data
    services and all newest come with GPRS.

    Alfred Molon, Jul 22, 2004
  17. NoNameAtAll

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I bought a computer so that I don't have to write. I only sign my name,
    and otherwise avoid all writing. It hurts my hands, and my writing is
    only barely readable.
    One must be quite consistent in order for those programs to make sense
    of what you write.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 22, 2004
  18. NoNameAtAll

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Uhhh, the GPS sats you use ARE US sats. And, yes, we have cell phones
    with GPS, but they mostly don't have maps in them.
    The US market lags behind both Japan and Korea in adopting new, and
    expensive electronic technology.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 22, 2004
  19. NoNameAtAll

    Chris Brown Guest

    Japan has always led the way in this regard. I'm currently waiting for
    someone to do a UIQ smartphone with GPS built in before I upgrade my P800. I
    don't expect it'll take long. Currently one has to use an external GPS via
    Bluetooth.
    Er, yeah right. :p

    Actually I'm in Europe. Whilst Japan leads the way, we aren't far behind,
    and we *do* have the benefit of setting the wireless standards that everyone
    but the US and Japan uses.

    The US does seem to trail the pack quite significantly. Last time I was
    there on business, I still saw yuppies in airports ostentatiously waving
    their phones around and shouting into them very publicly, apparently in an
    attempt to show off. I haven't seen anyone doing that here in the UK since
    about 1997, when 8 year old girls started carrying around better phones than
    City traders. ;-)

    Chris Brown, Jul 22, 2004
  20. NoNameAtAll

    Chris Brown Guest

    Even prepay phones seem to have GPRS these days. I guess it's necessray,
    since you need GPRS for MMS (including picture messaging), prepay is mainly
    targeted at kids, and they're probably the biggest users of picture
    messaging.

    Chris Brown, Jul 22, 2004