Memory card madness

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by NoNameAtAll, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. xD too small? not for cell phone size applications :)

    Artie

    Arte Phacting, Jul 21, 2004

  2. Perhaps one should not be quite so careless?

    Artie

    Arte Phacting, Jul 21, 2004

  3. NoNameAtAll

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Cell phone usage isn't exactly the same as camera usage. One is likely
    to insert the xD card in a phone, and never remove it. Indeed, most
    seem to mount UNDER the battery, making it a bit less than convenient to
    change them. Camera's, on the other hand, generally have the cards
    handy so they can be swapped when full.
    It is the small size, coupled with frequent handling that renders them
    'too small' in a camera, at least for my old, clumsy fingers.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 21, 2004
  4. NoNameAtAll

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Tell my mother that. It's in the genes.
    And it is clumsy, not careless.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 21, 2004
  5. If prior knowledge exists strategies can be developed

    Artie

    Arte Phacting, Jul 21, 2004
  6. NoNameAtAll

    WhaleShark Guest

    I definitely prefer Compact Flash, and that is one of the main reasons
    I will continue to buy Canon. The only thing that worries me a bit is
    the pins inside the camera, But I recon as long as you are careful
    they should be OK.

    --

    QUIPd 1.02: (294 of 679)
    -> No use crying over spilt milk - makes it salty for the cat

    My photo albums: http://www.pbase.com/sny

    WhaleShark, Jul 21, 2004
  7. NoNameAtAll

    Big Bill Guest

    There are many reasons for the things you see.
    Compact Flash will be around for a long time despite its size because
    it has a huge installed base, has a virtually unlimitied capacity, and
    is so easy to adapt hardware to.
    Other formats came about because there was/is a perceived need; the
    small size of many is a driving factor, becasue a smaller card enables
    a smaller device.
    As for why manufacturers can't (won't) agree on a single format is
    simple: money. As usual.

    Designing a DSLR around CF makes sense; it's inexpensive, it works,
    and the size doesn't bother anything.
    But smaller cards enable much smaller cameras; the current crop of
    "credit card" cameras wouldn't be possible with CF cards.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Jul 21, 2004
  8. NoNameAtAll

    Alfred Molon Guest

    David J Taylor <-this-bit.nor-this-
    When 500MP cameras hit the market, we'll most likely be using a
    different storage technology anyway.

    Alfred Molon, Jul 21, 2004
  9. NoNameAtAll

    Alfred Molon Guest

    If all that happens, we will be using a different storage technology. Or
    do you really think that in 50 years we'll still be using CF ?

    Alfred Molon, Jul 21, 2004
  10. NoNameAtAll

    Zebedee Guest

    A gigabyte? Compact Flash (not those microdrive things) is already up to 4
    gigabytes.

    --
    Yours

    Zebedee

    (Claiming asylum in an attempt
    to escape paying his debts to
    Dougal and Florence)

    Zebedee, Jul 21, 2004
  11. NoNameAtAll

    Alfred Molon Guest

    It's not a good idea to use the same memory card in a digital camera and
    different devices. There have been enough horror stories of people who
    suddenly lost all images due to formatting issues.
    My PDA takes SD cards - which my current camera can't read. My next
    camera won't be able to read SD cards (still uncertain between an Oly
    8080 and a DSLR) and in any case I won't buy a camera just because it
    takes SD cards.

    Alfred Molon, Jul 21, 2004
  12. NoNameAtAll

    Chris Brown Guest

    What do you mean, "if"? It's already happening, and it's happening now. The
    current generation of convergence devices support memory cards of up to a
    gigabyte (that's right, a gigabyte in your phone), which is an eightfold
    increase over the 128 megs of the previous generation.

    If this trend continues, and there's no real reason why it shouldn't -
    convergence devices are still in their infancy, then we'll be looking at >8
    gigabyte convergence devices within two to three years. At that point,
    convergence devices will be true alternatives to laptop computers for many
    people (they're already getting close). Would you buy a laptop that had a
    maximum harddisk size of 8 gigabytes? I doubt it.
    I'm not talking about in 50 years. I'm talking about next year, or the year
    after. Convergence devices are here *now*. Take a look at this:

    http://my-symbian.com/uiq/p910_review.php

    This isn't some futuristic mockup, it's a shipping product. At the moment,
    it has a pretty weedy VGA camera, but it is capable of capturing video. I
    expect its successor will have at least 1 megapixel, perhaps more.

    And, you can use them as an MP3 player, in place of an iPod (camera, phone,
    PDA, MP3 player, etc. That's why they call them "convergence devices").
    Notice that Apple are already selling iPods with considerably more than 8
    gigabytes capacity...

    Chris Brown, Jul 21, 2004
  13. NoNameAtAll

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I don't know. Look how long floppy disks have been around. And the CF
    card is a LOT better than a floppy disk.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 21, 2004
  14. NoNameAtAll

    Zebedee Guest

    Floppy disks are pretty well essential sometimes. When there's something
    wrong with the computer then often it's a case of booting from floppy with
    some fixing utilities.

    Zebedee, Jul 21, 2004
  15. NoNameAtAll

    Alfred Molon Guest

    On the other hand a CF card is too huge for such a tiny portable device
    (which is why most of these devices use SD or similarly sized cards).

    By the way, if I'm not mistaken 8GB is sufficient for two or three hours
    of high quality DVD video. But never mind, nobody suggested to use xD
    cards in camcorders.

    Alfred Molon, Jul 21, 2004
  16. NoNameAtAll

    Chris Brown Guest

    There are no convergence devices that will accept compact flash - it's too
    big for the form factor. Even Memory Stick was too big, which is why Sony
    Ericsson went for the smaller Memory Stick Duo format.

    Chris Brown, Jul 21, 2004
  17. NoNameAtAll

    Chris Brown Guest

    Huh? Is this an entry for the "nonsequitur of the month" award?
    For many people, their next camera *will be* their PDA, and their MP3
    player, and their phone, and a lot else besides. That's not to say that
    dedicated devices will disapper - they won't, but convergence devices are
    the future for the mass market. They're already outselling PDAs by
    two-to-one in Europe, one of the lead markets for mobile devices.

    In this climate, designing in a limit of 8 gigabytes in a small form factor
    flash format shows questionable business judgement.

    Chris Brown, Jul 21, 2004
  18. NoNameAtAll

    Steve Guest

    I use a 1 gig microdrive and can fill it up pretty quick when shotting
    RAW in burst mode.

    Steve, Jul 21, 2004
  19. NoNameAtAll

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Most new computers can do that with CDs, which can store a LOT more
    utilities for fixing problems.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 22, 2004
  20. NoNameAtAll

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Too big? Hardly. MOst handhelds are quite large enough to accomodate a
    CF card. Phones aren't, usually, but I have seen some lately that are
    as well.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 22, 2004