Memorex Travel USB drive 256MB

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by geothermal, Aug 16, 2005.

  1. geothermal

    geothermal Guest

    My mom bought a USB necklace drive 256MB and we can't
    get it to work. It keeps giving us a write protection error on my two
    XP boxes and her XP box as well.

    I don't see anywhere that it is write protected/ *shrug*
    I right click on the G: USB drive icon and choose properties
    and all looks good. XP recognizes the drive when I plug it in.

    I have tried both hot swapping mode and safety modes of the USB drive.

    One of my XP boxes has a slower USB port and the other one
    has a high speed USB port.

    I searched the Memorex FAQ company site, but nothing much there about
    write protection.

    I've tried drag and drop and I've tried Send To.

    Any ideas on what to try next ?

    geothermal

    geothermal, Aug 16, 2005

  2. geothermal

    FML Guest

    Have you tried flipping the "write-protect" switch on the drive.
    When all fails, RTFM.

    FML, Aug 17, 2005

  3. geothermal

    dworkin Guest

    There is a tiny slider that switches it from Read/Write to Read Only.
    Look at your drive carefully.

    http://www.memorexthumbdrive.com/products/idx_32507725.htm

    Dworkin

    dworkin, Aug 17, 2005
  4. geothermal

    geothermal Guest

    Thanks FML !

    I searched the manual pdf file for helpful words, but reading it cover
    to cover should have hit my brain at some point. LOL I have helped
    so many people with easy solutions on 24hour and other message boards
    that it is good to have it happen in reverse. (^:

    take care,

    geothermal

    geothermal, Aug 17, 2005
  5. geothermal

    FML Guest

    I know what you mean. I remember back when 3.5" floppies first came out,
    I actually replaced the floppy drive on a machine for pretty much the
    same reason (somebody had gone thru a box of floppies and flipped the
    tab to "write-protect" on all the disks). After I couldn't write to 3 or
    4 of them, I determined that it was a bad drive. It wasn't until the new
    one did the same thing that it dawned on me about the tabs being
    flipped. LOL, you live you learn.

    FML, Aug 17, 2005