Memorex media problems??? Toasty media???

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Chuck, Dec 14, 2004.

  1. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    I've been burning video DVD's to 4X DVD+R Memorex media for some time now,
    with very few media quality problems. I lately find that, on multiple PC
    and TV DVD players, some of my newly-burned DVD's start skipping, hanging,
    and finally just give up with a 'disk error' when I try to play them.
    One thing I have noticed on DVD's where I encounter a problem, is that the
    playing may have been interrupted by a 2-3 minute pause, or lots of skip
    forward/backward activty or such. I have also noticed that sometimes, it's
    just about an hour into the playing when the problem starts. When I
    encounter one of these problems, I can take the media out and it feels
    *warm* to the side of my face. Once, I briefly took one of the warm DVD's
    to the freezer section, cooled it down a minute and it resumed playing
    correctly.
    I know it's normal for a reader to generate heat as it plays a DVD (or CD),
    but should this cause the media to go wacky? I have never seen this
    behavior in a DVD which I've purchased, or rented, for viewing.
    Any similar situations out there? Any ideas for improvement? I may just
    have a bad batch of Memorex DVD's, or maybe the brand is marginal at best.
    Thanks in advance for your input.

    Chuck, Dec 14, 2004