Meet my new video card...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Aconitum Acidifaciens, Nov 5, 2004.

  1. After having been less than impressed by ATI support under linux, I bought a
    cheap nVidia GeForce 5500 last month to replace my 9800XT while I decided
    which nVidia video card I was going to settle on.

    My new toy is the ASUS V9999 ULTRA 2DT, which out-performs, by far, its ATI
    equivalent, the x800Pro. In fact, even the 6800 GT beats the x800Pro,
    according to Anandtech:
    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2113&p=18

    Numerous reviews listed the 6800 GT class as being better value than the
    6800 Ultra because the GT has around 85-90% of the performance of the Ultra
    and is $US100 cheaper, though the lesser GT card is missing four pixel
    pipelines. Other reasons offered by the reviews to spring for a GT instead
    of the Ultra include the better availability of the GT over the Ultra; the
    assumption being that the Ultra cards will be difficult to get.

    However local prices, coupled with this country's you beaut low tax regime
    on computer equipment, put the Ultra card within 35 Australian pesos of the
    lower performing GT card on a local price comparison search. And it just so
    happens that my supplier, who matches prices, has an Ultra in stock. I'll
    have it on Tuesday.

    http://usa.asus.com/products/vga/v9999ultra-2dt/overview.htm
    http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?page=2&articleid=588&cid=2

    Does anyone know if Doom III can keep up 100fps on dual 21" Trinitrons at
    [email protected] with 8x anistropic antialiasing enabled?

    Aconitum Acidifaciens, Nov 5, 2004

  2. <snip blowhard bullshit>

    I think the cards bounce off the screen faster when you win at Sol with
    one of them.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 5, 2004

  3. So you've managed to find the ONE VIDEO CARD that actually has Linux support!
    Good for you!
    Doom III under Linux can barely keep up with Tux Racer with 3d turned off.
    It's a SLUGGARD!
    QBFS

    q_ball_feedstop, Nov 5, 2004
  4. Aconitum Acidifaciens

    Liam Slider Guest

    Actually ATI cards *can* work, but they are *shitty* cards. Why use them?
    The nVidia cards are just better.

    Liar

    Liam Slider, Nov 5, 2004
  5. Aconitum Acidifaciens

    Roy Culley Guest

    I have no choice on my HP laptop. Best PC I've ever had by the way. It
    uses the Centrino chip which is blindingly fast. A colleague has a Dell
    with the same processor (his is 2GHz compared to the HP which is 1.7GHz).
    Compilation times are not much different.

    glxgears is far faster on his Dell though as it has an nvidia chip. No
    real problem for me as I don't need 3D accelerated graphics most of
    the time. At least ATI do provide Linux drivers. I'm sure they'll
    improve the 3D performance over time.
    All wintrolls lie. Some just more so than others.

    Roy Culley, Nov 5, 2004
  6. Aconitum Acidifaciens

    JEDIDIAH Guest

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.advocacy.]

    In the 10 years that I've been using Linux, I have always been able to
    find repectable video cards that worked well under Xfree. Admittedly, I've
    never tried anything from ATI since I tend to abandon any brand that gets a
    reputation for bad drivers (Win16 drivers to be precise).

    The Win32 market leader in video cards provides supported drivers
    for Linux that are quite complete and quite repectable. It doesn't get much
    more supported than that.
    [deletia]

    JEDIDIAH, Nov 5, 2004