MEDIA censorship and propaganda inthe US

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by JA, Feb 22, 2005.

  1. JA

    JA Guest

    How is it that more than 40 percent of Americans still believe Iraq has
    weapons of mass destruction even though President Bush personally has
    admitted there are none?

    How is it possible that millions of Americans believe the recent election in
    Iraq showed that Iraqis are in favor of the ongoing occupation of their
    country? In reality, the determination displayed by the roughly 59 percent
    of registered voters who participated in the election did so because they
    felt it would bring about an end to the U.S. occupation.

    How do so many Americans wonder why more Iraqis each day are supporting both
    violent and non-violent movements of resistance to the occupation when after
    the U.S. government promised to help rebuild Iraq, a mere 2 percent of
    reconstruction contracts were awarded to Iraqi concerns and the
    infrastructure lies in shambles?

    It's because overall, mainstream media reportage in the United States about
    the occupation in Iraq is being censured, distorted, threatened by the
    military and controlled by corporations that own the outlets.

    Recently at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Eason Jordan, a
    CNN executive, told a panel that the U.S. military deliberately targeted
    journalists in Iraq. He said he "knew of about 12 journalists who had not
    only been killed by American troops, but had been targeted as a matter of
    policy," said Rep. Barney Frank, a Democrat from Massachusetts who was on
    the panel with Jordan.

    When we hear this statement with the knowledge that 63 journalists have been
    killed in Iraq, in addition to the fact that in a 14-month-period, more
    journalists were killed in Iraq than during the entire Vietnam War, one
    begins to get the feeling that the military clampdown on the media is more
    than a myth or a conspiracy theory.

    (Editor's note: Jordan has since resigned from CNN, telling fellow CNN
    staffers: "I never meant to imply U.S. forces acted with ill intent when
    U.S. forces accidentally killed journalists, and I apologize to anyone who
    thought I said or believed otherwise.")

    I've personally witnessed photographers in Baghdad who have had their
    cameras either confiscated or smashed by soldiers, who were, of course,
    acting on orders from their superiors. And no, the journalists weren't
    trying to photograph something that would jeopardize the security of the
    soldiers.

    Even Christiane Amanpour, CNN's top war correspondent, announced on national
    television that her own network was censuring her journalism.

    Most Americans don't know that on any given day, an average of three U.S.
    soldiers die in Iraq as a result of 75 attacks every single day on U.S.
    forces or that Iraqi civilian deaths average 10 times that amount.

    Most Americans also don't know there are four permanent U.S. military bases
    in Iraq, with the Halliburton subsidiary Kellogg Brown and Root diligently
    constructing 10 others.

    Most Americans don't know overall troop morale in Iraq resembles that of the
    Vietnam War, with tours being extended and stop-loss orders imposed.

    Nor do most folks know where billions of their tax dollars have been spent
    that were supposed to be used in the reconstruction of Iraq.

    But who can blame Americans when the military and mainstream media continue,
    day in and day out, to distort, deny and destroy the truth before it reaches
    the audience back home? An international peoples' initiative called the
    World Tribunal on Iraq met in Rome to focus on media complicity in the
    crimes committed against the people of Iraq as well as U.S. citizens who are
    paying with their blood and tax dollars to maintain the occupation. The
    tribunal found Western mainstream media outlets guilty of incitement to
    violence and the deliberate misleading of people into the war and ongoing
    occupation of Iraq.

    Makes you wonder what else Americans aren't being told about Iraq. After
    spending eight of the past 14 months reporting fromIraq, I can tell you the
    points made here are just the tip of the iceberg.

    JA, Feb 22, 2005

  2. JA

    Brenda White Guest

    Brenda White, Feb 22, 2005

  3. JA

    Bill Turner Guest

    How is it possible someone could post this question to a DVD discussion
    group? Are they dumber than Bush?

    Bill Turner, Feb 22, 2005
  4. JA

    Alex Smith Guest

    Gonna have to explain further for this liberal boy. What is the analysis
    behind the argument that 'liberals hate mankind'? I always thought it was
    the right and fascists who are indifferent to people, and this is spelled
    out through wars, oppression, and supreme arrogance by republicans over the
    past 3 or so years.

    Alex Smith, Feb 22, 2005
  5. JA

    SteveL Guest

    Nah. There has been a concerted history revision exercise whereby
    Nazism and fascism is to be regarded as a leftwing/liberal creed.

    The exercise has been remarkably successful with a significant number
    of the dumber and more hate-filled neocons.

    SteveL, Feb 22, 2005
  6. JA

    Guest Guest

    Bill Turner posted:

    there is a popular DVD out there on the matter.

    Guest, Feb 22, 2005
  7. JA

    Stan Brown Guest

    How is it that morons keep posting politics to alt.video.dvd?

    (followups redirected)

    JA, Feb 23, 2005
  9. JA

    JA Guest

    Because there are many DVD's on this subject:

    Control Room
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...31371/sr=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/104-1616979-1763957
    Uncovered - The Whole Truth About the Iraq War (2003)
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001IXT36/104-1616979-1763957?v=glance
    Outfoxed - Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ext_1/104-1616979-1763957?v=glance&s=dvd&st=*
    The Corporation (2004)
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_5/104-1616979-1763957?v=glance&s=dvd
    Fahrenheit 9/11 (2004)
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...d_sim_dv_1/104-1616979-1763957?v=glance&s=dvd

    and one of the best: Manufacturing Consent - Noam Chomsky and the Media
    (1993)http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_2/104-1616979-1763957?v=glance&s=dvd

    and coming soon! Noam Chomsky:Rebel Without a Pause
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_6/104-1616979-1763957?v=glance&s=dvd

    No. Few are.

    JA, Feb 23, 2005
  10. JA

    RichA Guest

    That's absolutely right. They moved them all to Syria
    prior to the U.S. invasion.
    -Rich

    RichA, Feb 24, 2005
  11. JA

    JA Guest

    There is just as much proof that they moved them to Mars, RichA! And why
    does the world think most Americans are so gullible!?

    JA, Feb 24, 2005
  12. JA

    Jim Lovejoy Guest

    Could it be because those Americans like RichA are so gullible?

    Jim Lovejoy, Feb 25, 2005
  13. JA

    RichA Guest

    I'm not American. But I'll tell you what; You announce an invasion,
    you give me 5 months to prepare for it, in a country as large as Iraq,
    and I guarantee you when you show up with your troops, you won't
    find one single WMD. I'd have hidden them all and you would never
    locate them. The ONLY times they've been able to find weapons is when
    they are tipped off by someone. Think needle in a haystack.
    -Rich

    RichA, Feb 25, 2005
  14. JA

    JA Guest

    I tell you what, if you are in a country in the middle of the world's
    largest oil producing region (over the second largest known oil reserve in
    the world). And I'm in a country that uses 25% of the world's oil...and have
    a largest military than the rest of the world combined (and with many
    WMD's), we will make up whatever excuse it takes to invade, and if these
    lame pretexts don't work; we'll then say that we are introducing democracy
    (no matter that we supported and backed more dictators than you can shake a
    stick at...and still do).

    Remember this invasion/occupation is still considered illegal by
    international laws standards by most international law experts.
    Maybe...and maybe they didn't exist as most experts have said... and maybe
    they are hidden by Martians.

    Believe what you want - as we kill thousands every week, if it helps you
    sleep at night.

    JA, Feb 26, 2005
  15. JA

    JA Guest

    I'm an American living overseas, and always having to apologize for people
    such as he.

    JA, Feb 26, 2005
  16. JA

    RichA Guest

    Speaking of deluded. Thousands every week??? Crack addict.
    -Rich

    RichA, Feb 27, 2005
  17. JA

    JA Guest

    100,000 civilians have died as a result of the war and "the risk of death
    for Iraqi civilians was 2.5 times greater after the invasion" according to
    the Lancet medical journal.

    "An estimated 100000 civilians have died in Iraq as a direct or indirect
    consequence
    of the March 2003 US-led invasion, according to a new study."
    www.nytimes.com/2004/10/29/ international/europe/29casualties.html

    This figure has been widely broadcast...(yes, thousands a week on average)
    ...all to establish military bases in the world's largest oil producing
    region... democracy!? Zogby poll:.
    Sunni Arabs who want the US out of Iraq now or very soon: 82%
    Shiites who want the US out of Iraq now or very soon: 69%

    Even Time admits the US will not consider removing its new Halliburton built
    bases.

    JA, Mar 1, 2005
  18. JA

    bostnbob Guest

    Suppose for the sake of argument, Rich, that you are correct. Then
    Saddam Hussein had complied with U. S. demands and no longer possessed
    weapons of mass destruction. What possible justification could there
    be for an American attack on his country under those circumstances?

    -- bostnbob

    bostnbob, Mar 31, 2005
  19. JA

    G. M. Watson Guest

    Trying to use logic with RichA is like trying to feed whole-grain bread to a
    wolverine. In other words, good of you to try, but you're wasting your time.

    G. M. Watson, Mar 31, 2005
  20. JA

    Rob Guest

    How is it that more than 40 percent of Americans still believe Iraq has
    Because Bush told you?? Bush has been lying to you and the world since he
    learned how to talk.

    Rob, Mar 31, 2005