    what score should we be obtaining on these tests before we can feel confident
    that we are able to take the REAL THING?

    Oh, and should we be using Certification Mode or Study Mode?

    Jo, Jan 31, 2007

  2. Jo

    TheITGirl Guest

    Hello Jo

    I think you may be referring to a post I made just over a week ago, just
    after I passed my 70-271 exam.

    I was getting 70% on the tests in certification mode (the questions in
    certification mode are much harder IMO than in study mode) and I passed the
    real exam with a score of 916. I admit that the high score was a surprise to
    me, as before I clicked the button to end the test I was not over-confident
    about some of my answers and thought I might just fail. I found the
    questions on the actual exam a mixture of difficulty levels; some answers
    were really obvious and others took a lot more thought. Overall I thought
    the questions were less "wordy" than those in the practice tests.

    The pass mark on the real exam is 700, so if you are getting 64% in
    certification mode on the practice tests you may well still be ready to take
    the test. Why not schedule a test for, say, four weeks' time? That will
    give you time to do some extra studying on those areas you are weaker on.
    You will also be more focused, as you will have a deadline to aim for.

    Obviously I really, really hope you pass, but even if you fail you will at
    least know what to expect next time and will have an idea of the areas you
    need to develop.

    Good luck!

    IT Girl

    TheITGirl, Jan 31, 2007

  3. Jo

    Jo Guest

    I appreciate your response and comments. I too have a less than confident
    feeling and am constantly afraid of failure - much like your comment made a
    few weeks back. I am confident in some areas, totally clueless in others.
    Unfortunately, I get too frustrated too quickly and think too much into the
    questions or second guess myself.

    Right now I am going back over the objective questions in the back of the
    Press Book and am doing quite well. Whether this constitutes a better
    understanding of the information in the book, I don't know.

    Yes, I am looking at taking the test soon - probably in two to three weeks
    time. I hope I can get through the practice tests better by that time frame.

    Thanks for the information regarding the test. It makes me feel better to
    know there are others out there that have the same fear when it comes to
    taking the REAL TEST.

    Jo, Feb 1, 2007
  4. Jo

    Manuel Moore Guest

    I did use the Practice Exams at first to, but I figured out, like the
    ITGirl did, that there are quite hard. After that I turned to the
    exams which are given to you under the Objective Review category. I
    found them to be an adequate preparation for the exam, too.
    You'll easily pass using them.

    Manuel

    Manuel Moore, Feb 1, 2007
  5. Jo

    JRE Guest

    Dale,

    re: The average is 80% of the
    people that take MS tests fail their first one.

    I just passed the 271 exam which was a bit different than the Measure up
    questions for 271 but the high scoring I was getting in the certify mode must
    have helped me pass on the first try -

    Q: do you have a link that supports your average failure rate, I have been
    searching all night for that info - hence I did not think i passed the test
    until I ended the test - What a surprise it was. I wanted to know what
    percent and present it to my work "What an accomplishment it is to pass on
    the first attempt" especially since we only support customers that call in
    with "home" computer issues with XP Home.

    Would highly appreciate your response
    Thanks
    JR

    JRE, Feb 4, 2007
  6. If you are asking the PASS/FAIL rate for Microsoft exams, they do not
    officially release this statistic. What amazes me after all these years
    is the statistic that individuals place on themselves with concerns to
    their odds of passing the first time. I have talked to individuals who
    give themselves less than 20% odds of passing the first time. Why take
    the exam then? Is it a lack of self confidence? Is it because they know
    that they did not do everything they can to pass the first time? If you
    have read anything I have written, you know I tell you to plan on not
    passing the first time around. However this does not mean to place all
    your stock in that reality. And it is just that; a reality. If you have
    the option of passing, you have the option of failing. But do not go
    into a test already defeated. If you know what you must do to pass,
    performed those operations in order to pass but still fail; evaluate
    what went wrong and correct it. However, I digress...

    Congratulation on your success. :)

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,