    Ultimate in order to practice other things. Just wondering how long I should
    take before I go ahead and take the REAL test. Any info would be
    appreciated. Thanks.

    Jo, Oct 31, 2008

  2. At least until you finish the book!

    You're getting 78% on the test exams and you're only on Chapter FOUR!?

    Just Keep Reading!!

    The differences between Vista Business and Vista Ultimate aren't significant
    enough to worry about getting an actual installed copy of Ultimate if you
    have a working copy of Business.

    To refresh what you should have retained from Chapter 1 or 2...
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/default.aspx

    Ultimate contains (not in Business):
    - Media Center
    - DVD Maker
    - Movie Maker
    - Extra Games
    - Bitlocker

    With the exception of Bitlocker, I wouldn't expect any of the entertainment
    or multimedia stuff to be on the the cert exams (except possibly on the
    MCITP: Consumer Support Technician exam, where 50% of that works going to be
    involved in multimedia applications).

    At least until you finish the book and can get 80% on the practice exams.
    :)

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Oct 31, 2008

  3. Jo

    Jo Guest

    Then why do they emphasize upgrading to Ultimate in the 70-620 Press Book?
    Michael - want to comment on this. You mentioned Business "wasn't enough".

    Hmm...

    Jo, Oct 31, 2008
  4. <cynicism mode=on>
    Because the retail price for Ultimate is $319 and Business is $299, and they
    want the extra $20 of revenue.
    </cynicism>

    Actually, I believe, because it's important to understand how the Upgrade
    Anytime technology works, since it's new to Vista, and the only way to do
    that is to actually *do* an upgrade.

    (Actually, given the fact that there's only $20 difference between Business
    and Ultimate, and Business doesn't have Bitlocker -- why would anybody
    actually buy Business?!?)

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Oct 31, 2008
  5. Jo

    Jo Guest

    I didn't "purchase" business. My boss was kind enough to "give" me business
    so that I could start into the book. If I had known, prior to purchasing the
    Press Book that I needed Ultimate, I would have asked for that. Microsoft
    just wants to squeeze every penny out of you while you study for a
    cert....."now let's upgrade from Ultimate to Windows 7 in order to progress
    to chapter 5."

    Yes, I am getting a 78% on the practice tests in certification mode...and
    YES, I'm only on chapter 4. Most of Vista is nothing more than putting XP
    into a blender and letting the pieces settle.

    Jo, Nov 3, 2008
  6. Never said you did. I was just making a side comment on why (for $20 a pop
    retail -- which is significantly less in volume licensing scenarios),
    anybody wouldn't opt for Ultimate -- if at least to get BitLocker -- if not
    DVD authoring capabilites.
    Jo... don't stress out... go back and reread Chapter ONE, where that book
    points out that all installations of VISTA have a 30-day activation grace
    period...

    So... dig out the Vista DVD, "upgrade" to Ultimate, play with Ultimate for
    30 days until your grace-period expires, and then strip the machine and
    reinstall Business from scratch (which will also be GOOD practice).
    Hey! That was a COMPLIMENT! The fact that you're scoring that well and not
    even halfway through the book is a GOOD THING. :)
    Yeppp!!!!

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Nov 3, 2008
  7. Jo

    David Guest

    I'm not so sure Microsoft is trying to squeeze every penny out of us while
    we study for a cert. They let you download a free VHD of Vista Ultimate
    and run it on a virtual machine. You could use that to practice the
    features included in the Ultimate version.

    David, Nov 4, 2008
  8. My only comment on that....

    If I was going to download a VHD to run in a virtual machine, there's not
    much point in it being any higher of an edition than Home Basic.

    With no video/graphics capabilities, no USB, and marginal disk performance
    in a desktop environment, trying to run Vista Ultimate in a desktop VM is an
    exercise in futility. If you need to learn those features, then you need to
    *use* those features, and using them in a VM with an emulated Trio3 chipset
    and 4MB Video Ram ain't gonna do it.

    In fact, now that I think about it -- by definition a Virtual Machine
    environment doesn't even meet the minimum installation requirements for
    Vista!

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Nov 4, 2008