MCTS - 70-431 MS Press Training Kit Exam Software

Discussion in 'MCTS' started by Simon Doubt, May 13, 2007.

  1. Simon Doubt

    Simon Doubt Guest

    I am currently studying for the 70-431 exam. I have been preparing since
    December, and hope to take the test in about a month or so.
    As a final aspect of my preparation, I have been spending time taking the
    practice exams included with the MCTS 70-431 Training Kit.

    I have been frustrated recently by the seeming lack of consistancy between
    what the Training Kit manual, Books Online and other resources say, and what
    the MS Press Practice Test seems to think is correct. The test is "powered by
    MeasureUp".

    For example, a recent question on database mirroring in the sample test
    claimed that the default state for an endpoint is STARTED, when all the other
    materials say that the default state is STOPPED.

    Another question on the mock test asked which command produced a list of Sql
    Server Agent jobs that had been cancelled.
    I thought that the correct answer should have been sp_help_jobhistory
    @run_status=3, but that choice was not available.
    The "correct" answer, according to the test software was sp_help_jobhistory
    @run_status=5. I checked Books Online
    (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188025.aspx), and a value of 5
    indicates status = "Unknown".
    Books Online also clearly stated that jobs that had been cancelled returned
    an integer 3.

    I am frustrated and discouraged by these results.
    Should I assume that the actual certification exam maintains these
    inaccuracies, or should I assume that the practice test software is buggy?

    Any input here would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Simon Doubt

    Simon Doubt, May 13, 2007

  2. I'm studying for this exam to but just started a week ago.... but I had the
    same problem with another exam, the 70-445 exam. When I pass the real exam, I
    did not had the same problem.

    The best advice I can give you is to verify things that seem strang to you
    by trying it, it's the best way to be sure of the real answer.... if of
    course its possible to test it :)

    But don't worry, real exam didn't have those problem in my case
    thx bye
    Bill

    Billy Bernard, May 25, 2007

  3. Simon Doubt

    Simon Doubt Guest

    Bill:

    Thank you very much for your feedback - I appreciate it.
    I'm glad to hear that the read exam is not buggy.

    Regards,
    Simon

    Simon Doubt, May 26, 2007