MCSE Curriculum - here is what was given, please tell me if this is appropriate.

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by none, Mar 15, 2006.

  1. none

    none Guest

    Course 2285 5 Days Managing MS Server 2003 Environment Exam 70-290 April 17-22, M-F 5:30-10:30, Sat. 8-4

    2275 3 Days Maintaining Server 2003 Environment Exam 70-290 May 8-10, M-W 5:30-10:30
    2276 2 Days Implement Server 2003 Infrastructure Exam 70-291 May 11-13, Thurs-Sat. 5:30-10:30, Sat 8-4

    2277 5 Days Managing Server 2003 Network Services Exam 70-291 March 27-31 or May 15-20, M-F 5:30-10:30,
    Sat. 8-4
    2272 5 Days Implement & Supporting XP Prof. Exam 70-270 May 1-6, M-F 5:30-10:30, Sat. 8-4
    2278 5 Days Planning Server 2003 Infrastructure Exam 70-293 June TBA
    2279 5 Days Planning Maintaining Active Directory Exam 70-294 April 24-29, M-F 5:30-10:30, Sat. 8-4
    Security + Certification 5 Days Security+ Certification CompTIA Security+ Elective-additional Microsoft
    exam/courses avail.
    2830 5 Days Designing Security for MS Networks 70-298 One Design Exam required, additional selections
    available
    Course 2285 5 Days Managing MS Server 2003 Environment Exam 70-290 April 17-22, M-F 5:30-10:30, Sat. 8-4

    2275 3 Days Maintaining Server 2003 Environment Exam 70-290 May 8-10, M-W 5:30-10:30
    2276 2 Days Implement Server 2003 Infrastructure Exam 70-291 May 11-13, Thurs-Sat. 5:30-10:30, Sat 8-4

    2277 5 Days Managing Server 2003 Network Services Exam 70-291 March 27-31 or May 15-20, M-F 5:30-10:30,
    Sat. 8-4
    2272 5 Days Implement & Supporting XP Prof. Exam 70-270 May 1-6, M-F 5:30-10:30, Sat. 8-4
    Course 2285 - 5 days - Managing MS Server 2003 environment - 70-290
    Course 2275 - 3 days - Maintaining Server 2003 Environment - 70-290
    Course 2276 - 2 days - Implement Server 2003 Infrastructure - 70-291
    Course 2277 - 5 days - Managing Server 2003 Network Services - 70-291
    Course 2272 - 5 days - Implement & Supporting XP Professional - 70-270
    Course 2278 - 5 days - Planning Server 2003 Infrastructure - 70-293
    Course 2279 - 5 days - Planning & Maintaining Active Directory - 70-294
    Security + Certification - 5 days Sec+ Cert / CompTIA Sec+ - Elective-additional MS exam/course ava
    Course 2830 - 5 days - Designing Security for MS Networks - 70-298

    Since we can't get live teachers to give us hands on instructions for own reasons, we are
    only able to do self paced learning, ie: trainsignal/cbt/learnkey etc. .etc along with other online services..... Any tips
    about how to go about all of this self paced with no instructor help?

    Ryan

    none, Mar 15, 2006

  2. none

    Neil Guest

    did you hear Ryan () say in
    since teh vast majority of those courses were Instructor lead MOC
    courses, I wont delve into how to get the courses (you goto the CPLS).

    as for another way around, there are book stores where you can obtain
    either the MS Press books for this or Sybex is another vendor that
    provides study guides. Get one that walks you through labs. Build
    yourself a lab. work with the product, first throuhg the book and then on
    your own. break, fix, repeat. Go through the exam guide that is found on
    the www.microsoft.com/learning site for each exam. if you come across
    something that is unfamiliar in the guide, go back you your lab and learn
    it. The more you work with the product the more success you are likely to
    have on the exams.

    Sadly the best part of any course is what the Instructor can provide.
    Thier real life problems can help you avoid the issues not listed in a
    book/cbt.

    Neil, Mar 15, 2006

  3. none

    none Guest

    Disregard old message, had formatting errors, use this one:

    none, Mar 15, 2006
  4. none

    Wayne Guest

    inline ...

    Wrong course number, 2285 is Windows XP 2 day course. No need to do this,
    2272 covers more.
    Course 2273 is a combination of 2274 (5 days) and 2275 (3 days) covered in 5
    days with additional self study.
    Good courses (my favourites, I'm a tcp/ip junky)
    Again, good course, with a good instrcutor, plenty of time to go deeper into
    XP
    Yuck, planning AD and Network ... but needed!!
    Excellent course! Lots of material, lots of fun!
    Good choice, but you still need another elective.
    Lots of pc's (or virtual machines) lots of hands on, playing, breaking,
    fixing, etc.
    As Neil said, check out MS-Press books.

    Wayne, Mar 15, 2006
  5. none

    Guest Guest

    Hi,

    I wonder if anyone can throw some light on the following question (with
    regards the requirements for MCSE : Security on MS Server 2003) that I first
    sent to Microsoft SA and then to MCPHELP. In the answer I received, it was
    suggested that I post the question in an MCP Newsgroup online and address it
    to Ken Rosen as the worldwide Program Manager for clarification.
    Unfortunately, I do not know if one can address something like this directly
    to another person!"

    "I am embarking in obtaining a MCSE : Security on MS Windows Server 2003
    certification. I have downloaded the list of the modules that I need to
    complete as well as the list of exams that I must pass in order to obtain the
    certification from
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/security/windowsserver2003.asp.

    From the list, I see that one of the Core Security Electives that one must
    take is Course 2810 : Fundamentals
    of Network Security, following which one must sit either exam 70-350
    (Implementing Microsoft Internet Security and
    Acceleration Server 2004) or else exam SY0-101 (CompTIA Security+). I did
    the Security+ course a couple of years ago, after which I did the CISSP
    (Certified Information Systems Security Professional) course as well.
    However, I decide not to take any of the exams straight away, but instead to
    wait a few years and obtain knowledge and experience in the field first.

    As it became my understanding that the CISSP examination was more advanced
    in terms of assessing a person's IT Security competence, and as most of the
    adverts for IT Security posts that I came across considered that a person
    with a CISSP qualification more desirable, last year I took and passed the
    CISSP examination (as compiled by ISC2).

    I have contacted the Training and Certification Department at Microsoft SA
    and asked them if the CISSP
    qualification would be considered in lieu of my taking taking Course 2810 :
    Fundamentals of Network Security, and/or then sitting the exam SY0-101
    (CompTIA Security+). Unfortunately they were unable to give me a proper
    answer in this regard, saying that if it is not listed on the Microsoft
    Certified Profession Training website, then it was not accepted." (add. edit)

    I received the following reply:
    When I said that I found it strange that Microsoft did not consider the
    CISSP qualification adaquate, as most security people that I know consider
    that, in terms of security competence, the Security+ qualification is to the
    CISSP qualification as a School-leaving Certificate is to a University
    Degree, and asked if the matter could receive some consideration, the answer
    I received was to post my question to Ken Rosen - as mentioned above.

    My question (to Ken Rosen if he is out there) : Can the CISSP qualification
    be considered in lieu of taking taking Course 2810 : Fundamentals of Network
    Security, and/or then sitting the exam SY0-101 (CompTIA Security+) ?

    Can anyone help me ?

    Thanx muchly.

    Guest, Mar 16, 2006
  6. none

    kpg Guest

    As VB once said in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse
    lol

    I would think email would be a better medium.

    Are you sure this was an official MS response? If so...I'm scared.

    kpg, Mar 16, 2006
  7. none

    Neil Guest

    First off, Ken might not be the right guy. Andy Ruth might be a better
    candidate, but irregardless of that, attending 2810 is not mandetory for
    the MCSA/MCSE:security. The course is intended to prepare you for the
    Security+ exam and this is the requirement that you need. If you hace
    obtained the CISSP, you will likely find the Sec+ exam very easy, but that
    is what the MS requirement is. IMHO you will likely have to write the Sec+
    exam. You are kind of saying "I've obtained my CCIE, does that count for my
    Net+?" They are very similar in that the CCIE is much harder to obtain, but
    they are different exams.

    MS will have partnerships with CompTIA but not with ISC2, and this is
    likely why you have to obtain the Sec+. Experience with Oracle, even if I
    have my OCP will not help get my MCDBA.

    Neil, Mar 16, 2006
  8. none

    Guest Guest

    Thanx kpg and Neil.

    Looks like the Security+ examination is a must.

    Cheers

    VB

    Guest, Mar 22, 2006