  1. except that he apparently read your CORRECTION before replying.

    u no i can't read.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jan 20, 2005

  2. Chris

    kpg Guest

    NEVERMIND...

    kp "saturday night live" g

    kpg, Jan 20, 2005

  3. Chris

    catwalker63 Guest

    As Kline stated, your best bet to find proper books is to read reviews at
    Barnes and Noble or Amazon websites. Most feel MS Press or Sybex are
    superior but there are exceptions to even this rule. Personally, I would
    not depend on one resource and get at least two books for each exam and
    then read relevant parts of the resource kit and help files (2000 and xp
    resource kits available online at microsoft as well as the help files) as
    well as KB articles, msdn, and technet. I always manage to learn
    something new about areas I think myself more than competent so don't be
    tempted to shorten time spent in those areas.

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    "I'm not bossy! I just know what nerdbunchanumbers should be doing!"

    catwalker63, Jan 20, 2005
  4. Chris

    The Eagle Guest

    I did it for NT 4.0 back in 1999. I am about to do it for 2000 and 2003.
    Seven exams I have to take, Microsoft tells me.

    Anyway, go to www.microsoft.com/learning and you will find information on
    home study kits, etc. A lot of people will tell you it can't be done, but
    it can.

    ges

    The Eagle, Jan 20, 2005
  5. Chris

    Sim Guest

    Kline Sphere & Catwalker63 thanks for your input and commenting to my
    original post, that's all I wanted.

    I must admit I do think quicker than I can type and do check my work but
    this time, I was blind and missed a very important little word and this
    changed the whole meaning.

    Once again thank you, I do have many other questions but I will use other
    resources to obtain my information as many people here are not interested in
    helping others and sharing their experiences but what is so sad is they have
    no respect for their own time and someone new to the NG is greeted with
    abuse.

    Yes there is a wealth of information out there, I come here first as I
    thought I will find people in similar circumstances, and thoughts with
    experiences when they first started their certification.

    Sim, Jan 20, 2005
  6. Chris

    LnkWizard Guest

    I feel the need to come to the defense of some of my fellow MCNGP
    members. We get asked the same question or a variation of it that you
    used in your first post over and over again.

    <<<"In order to achieve MCSE 2003 certification and using self study method
    could you please recommend on books required also the number of systems to
    build a study lab. Any links to study labs or any other information.

    Is it really possible to get certified using self study?">>>

    As an IT pro I am sure you get just as tired of answering the same
    question from your users, over and over and over and over again.
    If you had taken the time provide some additional input then you
    probably would have received an entirely different response. Here is
    an example of that additional input:

    1. Explain your background, 20 in IT years means you're not a noob
    trying to weasel your way into an already crowded field.

    2. Maybe some detail about why you wanted your MCSE, instead
    of the get rich quick dipwads who are usually asking.

    3. Why you came to this newsgroup instead of doing the research
    on your own, or if you had already done some research and
    were looking for additional input or even possibly initiating your
    research from this point..

    If you look at your first post, it is somewhat sparse in detail, and if you
    do
    a search or even read back through a couple of months worth of older
    posts I think you might agree that this could lead others to believe it is
    from just another wannabe looking to jump on MCSE bandwagon.

    I do realize that some of our answers were harsh, smarta$$ed, and
    not very professional, but this is one of the few places where we
    can express our true feelings without fear of financial or employment
    related repercussions. Let's face it, if we lambasted every clueless
    user whom we were frustrated with, we would very shortly be unemployed.

    Hopefully you can relate to the circumstances and come to understand
    that we are not a bunch of mercenaries out to flame every person who
    comes into this newsgroup. We are only after those who appear to want
    their MCSE for the wrong reason and want to get it any way they
    can, just so long as they don't have to put forth any effort on their part
    to get it.

    Lnkwizard2 MCNGP 2^5
    'apologies for the top post'

    http://www.mcngp.com

    LnkWizard, Jan 20, 2005
  7. Chris

    Guest Guest

    Based on the last 15 minutes of my time wasted on here looking through the
    first good few threads which have nothing to do with studying for an MCSE, or
    in fact nothing to do with people helping others trying to get through an
    MCSE... I know I'm gonna get flamed for this.

    I came here to get information - which books are best, do's and don'ts from
    those who have been and are going through an MCSE, but all that's here is a
    bunch of idiots flaming and posting crp. I'm sure there's other places for
    you kids to play, shame you're wasting a valuable resource for people who can
    benefit from it.

    Helping words of an MCT ...

    "A good tip is to study. A great trick is to study and gain real world
    experience. A really good dump is when your sitting on the toilet and you
    strain so hard it makes you sweat then with a quick release you drop a log
    sized turd, then stand up and admire your creation, which you are very proud
    of.

    As far as other related information I direct you to: google.com and
    microsoft.com/learning I would also check out Amazon.com as well as other
    book sites to purchase study material. Also it would be a great idea to read
    some of the other posts before undertaking such a post as this. All your
    answers are already here."

    Shame.

    Guest, Jan 20, 2005
  8. Chris

    catwalker63 Guest

    <self-righteous crap snipped>

    whatever

    catwalker63, Jan 20, 2005
  9. And I will continue to make these statements to people who wish to devalue
    my certifications by perusing brain dumps. Now if you took two minutes to
    eradicate you your cranium from your rectum you might observe the commentary
    I've made to people legitimately in need are of a genuine assistance.
    Unfortunately it appears that troll after troll (you too) come and ask some
    of the stupidest questions, not to mention the incalculable spammers that
    want to get their crappy sites noticed so that people will buy their brain
    dumps that they bought from some other crappy brain dump site. In context as
    to what I said; the guy asking his question was looking for freebies and
    test answers. And quite frankly that pisses me off. I've been in IT for long
    enough doing my own thing that I've developed a small lenience for idiocy,
    but when it comes to you cheating on an exam to get a certification I fell I
    truly earned than I say piss off.

    Ask a serious question and I guarantee you will get an answer that is more
    to your liking. Garbage in garbage out. As for the rest I can't seem to find
    one solitary cerebral question you've submitted. Not to mention you can't
    even be bothered to give a actual name. I am who I am with no repudiation
    and I say what I say because I can. Gotta problem with it? Too bad buddy.
    Take it or leave it. Wanna ask me something else?

    --
    "The Rev"
    Microsoft Certified Trainer

    ..

    Stephen Charles Rea \(MCT\), Jan 21, 2005
  10. It is very possible if you actually take the time to learn everything from
    your home lab. I suggest your lab be at least three computers [old PII
    Dell's on Ebay are fine], a couple of monitors, a KVM switch, and some of
    those removable drive trays that you can buy at compgeeks.com for around
    $10. Then get the evaluation editions of W2K and W2003 and with multiple
    hard drives in dual/triple boot mode you can have a small network that can
    do about everything - forests, child domains, additional domain controllers,
    etc. Most of the exam books have work along labs. The exam books and online
    sources will have end of chapter questions and/or practice exam questions.
    Do not dwell on questions that rely on rote memorization questions. The real
    exam questions are mostly problem and solution format of some kind. Know all
    the main server utilities but don't worry about all the syntax [ no on could
    possibly know all the syntax for netsh] , with the exception of ipconfig.
    For the rest know what the utilities are used for, the major syntax uses,
    and how to interpret results. Go to cramsession to read exam reviews and
    tips.

    http://www.cramsession.com/certifications/microsoft/mcse-2003.asp

    There are many books available for the individual exams. I suggest you read
    the reviews at Amazon to help choose those. However I highly recommend that
    you buy Mark Minasi's Mastering Windows 2003 Server for you base learning
    book to read first. However it is not an Exam guide but it will do an
    excellent job of teaching you Windows 2003. Then buy the Windows 2003 Pocket
    Consultant to carry with you everywhere for learning Windows 2003. It is a
    compact cut to the bones admin book. Also buy the Microsoft Press book for
    70-299 on implementing security as the other non security exam books do a
    poor job on covering security and the W2003 exams are much more geared to
    security than W2000 [at least the upgrade exams were]. The Labmice is an
    excellent resource to Windows 2003 resources as is the Windows 2003 Server
    Deployment Kit which is a free download. You can download individual
    chapters also. Good luck. --- Steve

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/windows2003/default.htm
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/reskit/deploykit.mspx

    Steven L Umbach, Jan 21, 2005
  11. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has helped
    answering the original question.

    Best regards

    Chris, Jan 21, 2005
  12. In my opinion, that means every single response.

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Jan 21, 2005
  13. How nice.
    I take offense to your "blind" remark. I *AM* blind, and I would never have
    made such a major mistake.
    Dude, you really have no clue, do you. Keep your left-handed compliments to
    yourself. You posted a REQUEST FOR [email protected] you moron. When you realized
    your mistake, you should have GRACEFULLY apologized, but you continue to
    claim abuse.
    Most of us had more of a clue when we started. And most of us HATE
    cheaters. So you're (supposedly) not a cheater. You're still clueless.
    You would have had a warmer welcome had you humbly apologized for your
    mistake instead of making excuses. You're not the first one to ever make
    that mistake, you know. You are the first, however, to be so arrogant about
    it.

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Jan 21, 2005
  14. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I agree that there many people on this NG ask the same questions everyday
    and the regular participants do get frustrated. Someone should setup a FAQ
    site with the most common questions asked. The different ways to obtain the
    certification, classroom, video, self study. This can show a sample of
    people and the study method they used and why they chose this. The plus and
    minus points. A top ten list of books that most students recommend that
    helped them study, what is required for a lab.

    When a new comer asks all those silly questions, like myself, they can be
    redirected to this site.
    The new comer is explained why they have been redirected here and the
    information they require will be found here. Only discuss the main
    objectives in the NG.

    Yes, I like to thank everyone for your contribution.

    Chris, Jan 21, 2005
  15. Chris

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    That's a great idea, but the problem is, there are already FAQ sites that
    people don't bother to check. They don't even think about going to
    www.microsoft.com to learn about a Microsoft certification. You expect them
    to learn to use the inTArWeB to research? Seriously, 95% of the questions in
    here are something to the effect of:
    "DEAR RESPECTED SIR,
    I WANT START MCSE CERTIFICATION. WHERE TO FIND DUMPS AND HOW MUCH TO WRITE
    EXAMS? OKAY BYE.

    RGS,

    RAMEN NOODL"

    Why is it so hard for these tools to go to the microsoft website? Another
    site for them to ignore will be a futile attempt at harnessing the energy of
    the stoopid.

    Ken

    Ken Briscoe, Jan 21, 2005
  16. Chris,

    I am sorry that we seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot. I agree
    with the idea of a FAQ, but you'd be surprised. Not everyone (see: nearly
    no-one) that comes to this group bothers to even read EXISTING messages
    before posting their questions. Some (see: most) of them don't even come
    back to read replies. Many well-intended people have come in here over the
    years and criticized the way the regulars (MCNGP and others as well) handle
    this situation. They then become Don Quixote and intend to show us the
    "proper" way to handle these inquiries. After a few days, sometimes maybe
    as long as a week, they give up out of frustration.

    In a perfect world, many of us regulars would help those who truly need
    help. But the main idea behind becoming an IT professional, particularly an
    MCSA/MCSE is to be able to do research in the first place. Finding this and
    other certification-related newsgroups and posting a question (that has been
    asked and answered hundreds of times) does not constitute research. Anyone
    who starts off on that foot is getting into the wrong career field. I'm not
    saying that you particularly fit that mold. Your question was on
    recommended reading. I can understand why someone would post that question,
    but people in here are pretty much tired of answering that question.
    Someone suggested reading book reviews on Amazon. At least you didn't ask
    how many questions, how much money, how much time, etc. etc.

    Stick around this group (the microsoft one, not the alt one) for a while,
    and you'll get a better feel for what this place is like, and why we are the
    way we are. You might even become helpful here yourself.

    --
    Fris "I hate being serious" beeĀ®, MCNGP #13

    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help!
    http://www.mcngp.com

    Certaholics

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Jan 21, 2005
  17. Chris

    Chris Guest

    In my defence, I had a look at the Microsoft site and the Amazon site but I
    can never decide on a book, I see one bad review or one less star, I'm not
    convinced to buy it, until I get a personnel experience, as I don't have the
    time to waste and funds. When you have a large mortgage (this is London),
    wife at home with young kids you have to spend your money wisely and be
    absolutely sure. As mentioned previously slowly support roles are being
    transferred to India. Just one book is not going to get me through and I
    will have to purchase many other books, possibly equipment and testing
    software to ensure that I'm learning and retaining the information.

    Also working in a very busy environment, where I'm hardly at my desk, I'm in
    the server room and some meetings. I work in open plan office it is
    difficult to spend the time to do the research. I know this is very
    important but through a bit of laziness and lack of time, I just fired off
    the question to the NG and thought the response or the aid I get I will use
    that as my base and work from the recommendations and experiences as someone
    has taken the time to advise me.

    Chris, Jan 21, 2005
  18. "A good tip is to study. A great trick is to study and gain real world
    the absolute truth, I can't honestly see a problem with this advice.

    You people don't seem to realize that there is very little which can
    be revealed without breaking the dna. As for the rest, well the above
    snip just about covers it. Sorry life is not full of free rides.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jan 21, 2005
  19. exactly.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jan 21, 2005
  20. I am sorry that we seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot. I agree
    Hermit Dave posted an FAQ for the mcsd group. Did it make a
    difference? yeah right!!!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jan 21, 2005