    recruiting resources.

    Thanks for the assistance.

    Session

    Session, May 27, 2004

  2. Session

    Guest Guest

    Working on contracts through a recruiter is like buying seafood at a
    discount grocery store. Regardless of how good it may look, you had best
    sniff it over before accepting.

    Guest, May 27, 2004

  3. Why any independent/freelance 'consultant' would should use a third
    party, it quite beyond me.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 27, 2004
  4. Session

    Alistair Guest

    Because when you're starting out (the OP said he's only
    recently completed his MCSD.NET) you probably won't have
    much of a network of contacts, so you'll be forced to rely
    on recruitment agencies to get work, even though (as most
    people already know) they skim off the top and
    misrepresent the vast majority of contracts they offer.

    This may be the only way to pay the rent, but I strongly
    recommend joining a local dot net users group for building
    contacts.

    Alistair, May 27, 2004
  5. Because when you're starting out (the OP said he's only
    Which mean's he/she would not have experience [yet] to be considered a
    'consultant'.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 28, 2004
  6. There's no question that some folks in the tech biz lack the business savvy
    that's necessary to go out and beat the bushes for engagements. I know
    several techies that couldn't negotiate their way through a paper bag. And
    it's tough to put together an "I love me, so should you" approach to talking
    to potential clients.

    That said, remember that the only person who has your long-term interests in
    mind is...you. Unless you have a stalker. But even then, the stalker might
    have ulterior motives that involve syrup and squirrels.

    RL \(Bob\) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT, May 29, 2004
  7. There's no question that some folks in the tech biz lack the business savvy
    surely those techies cannot be freelance can they(?).
    now that's just sick!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 29, 2004
  8. Absolutely they can freelance. But they're dependent on somebody else being
    their go-between. For example, if I have a project that needs a technical
    skill that I don't have, I wouldn't hesitate bringing that person in.

    The biggest problem I see is when a marketing-business challenged freelancer
    doesn't recognize their weakness. That's when they see problems. And often
    they tend to get frustrated and blame it on the economy, outsourcing and
    other issues.

    And don't knock the squirrels and syrup til you've tried it<g>!

    RL \(Bob\) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT, May 29, 2004
  9. Absolutely they can freelance. But they're dependent on somebody else being
    Yep, poorly worded statement on my part. However, when you or any
    other company want those skills, you go to those people or companies
    which provide the service, not to a third party who would in turn
    simply go and find some bod for you and charge you more for it! That
    was my original point, which got lost in translation (must be those
    here squirrels!)
    Yep, basic economics - supply and demand.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 29, 2004