MCSD.Net electives????

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by Tom Fuller, Oct 29, 2003.

  1. Tom Fuller

    Tom Fuller Guest

    I'm finished with the four core exams for my MCSD.Net and
    I wanted to get everyone's opinion on the value of the
    listed electives.

    Here's my quandry, I really don't want to take the sql
    server 2000 elective because I want to learn something new
    so I've been focusing on the BizTalk elective. However,
    why in the world is the BizTalk 2000 exam listed (is there
    not a BizTalk 2002 exam)? I have also been looking for
    courses or materials that would assist me in my initial
    setup and exploration of BizTalk server and have been very
    frustrated by the lack of community support to educate
    developers on this server platform.

    Is everyone else out there feeling the same as I do, go
    sql server or sit and wait? I took 5 months to complete
    the first four exams with the hope of having these
    electives updated or extended by this time. Now that I
    finished my Solution Architectures exam I have to choose.
    Any advice would be appreciated!

    - Tom Fuller

    Tom Fuller, Oct 29, 2003

  2. Tom Fuller

    Jaime Guest

    Everyone pretty much takes sql server.

    Jaime, Oct 29, 2003

  3. Tom Fuller

    clyclopedic Guest

    inline comments

    Good for you.
    I don't think there is enough difference to warrant a new exam. I used
    BizTalk 2002 as I studied for the exam and can't recall any gotchas.
    I found the _MCSE Microsoft Biztalk Server 2000 self-paced training kit_ to
    be an excellent resource. There was one practice file missing from the CD,
    but I could clearly see what was being demonstrated for that exercise , so
    that was just a nit.
    An article by Tom Allen in this group (search google groups) helped me
    decide. I used this exam for the MCSD VC6 elective, so now that I've
    scrambled to get 70-300 under my belt before the voucher expired, I've got
    two down and 3 to go for .NET.

    Passing 70-230 was all the more satisfying since no practice test was
    involved, as Mr. Allen points out. I don't know if there are practice test
    products available for it now, but if so I advise you to avoid them and see
    how you do.

    clyclopedic, Oct 29, 2003
  4. I would recommend SQL Server 2000 (70-229) without a second thought. As an
    MCSD, you'll most likely be developing database oriented business
    applications. You're not going to store that precious data in BizTalk.

    IMHO, the SQL exam should be a required for the MCSD.

    BizTalk would be a nice addition, once you get the SQL out of the way.

    HTH,

    Leigh Kendall, Oct 30, 2003
  5. Tom Fuller

    Jaime Guest

    I totally agree, it should be a requirement.

    Jaime, Oct 30, 2003
  6. No doubt...

    A tad off topic, but this reminded me...

    There are some proposed changes for the new MCDBA track for Yukon.
    One change would includes a new SQL core exam, one that is primarily
    on the T-SQL language, similar to Oracle's 1Z0-007 exam (I think.)
    There might be one more Windows Server-type exam too, although I can't
    remember what it'd cover.

    Kael V. Dowdy, Oct 30, 2003
  7. Kael-

    Where did you hear/read this?

    Leigh Kendall, Oct 30, 2003
  8. Tom Fuller

    Kline Sphere Guest

    You're not going to store that precious data in BizTalk.

    No, but you might use it to manipulate it in some way.

    Kline Sphere, Oct 30, 2003
  9. No, but you might use it to manipulate it in some way.<<

    Absolutely. I wasn't trying to minimize the value of BizTalk. I was just
    pointing out that SQL Server would be a more useful and marketable
    "foundation" skill than BizTalk.

    Leigh Kendall, Oct 30, 2003
  10. Tom Fuller

    Kline Sphere Guest

    Absolutely. I wasn't trying to minimize the value of BizTalk. I was just
    Very true.

    To me biz talk is one of the few ms products which is under used by
    companies.

    Kline Sphere, Oct 30, 2003
  11. Tom Fuller

    Jaime Guest

    It also means you need 2 more tests for your mcdba after your mcsd, I
    believe.

    Jaime, Oct 30, 2003
  12. Tom Fuller

    clyclopedic Guest

    You're probably right, but I hope I never have to sell myself to that
    market. I'm a debugger developer by profession, but if I have any IT tasks
    to do, I use SAS. I passed the 'SAS Base Programmer' test on Saturday. SAS
    can take data (lots of it) from a vast number of sources, and drilling in on
    one vendor's RDB doesn't appeal to me. On the other hand, studying BizTalk
    opened my eyes to some interesting uses of several technologies and gave me
    a good "foundation" for understanding BPEL, which will be showing up in
    products from several vendors, and in difficult-to-debug distributed
    solutions.

    clyclopedic, Oct 30, 2003
  13. Hi, group. Happy Halloween!

    From my experience, It has been cost prohibitive. As a consultant who tried
    to sell Microsoft solutions, I was often asked by clients why they could not
    just whip up a few custom components that utilized MSMQ to do the same
    functionality at just the cost of development.

    I passed the BizTalk exam merely using the CHM file and personal experience
    as study materials.

    Davin Mickelson

    Davin Mickelson, Oct 31, 2003
  14. Leigh,

    I got a questionaire from Microsoft a few weeks ago asking about how
    you would feel about proposed changes to the MCDBA track. A few of
    the changes were a few new MCSE-type exams specifically geard to DBAs,
    a new SQL Server-specific exam, and (I think) one on XML. I now wish
    I saved this quesionaire B^)

    Kael

    Kael V. Dowdy, Oct 31, 2003
  15. Tom Fuller

    Kline Sphere Guest

    I was often asked by clients why they could not
    There are always more than one way to achieve the same results. Data
    driven systems where the exchange of complex information is concerned,
    would certainly benefit from biz talk, assuming a proper business
    level design was available!!
    Not done it myself, but heard it was easy with a very low passing
    score to boot.

    Kline Sphere, Oct 31, 2003