    a.. Professional Developer: Enterprise Applications Developer

    There seem to be 3 of them. Does Enterprice Application Developer cover both
    Web and Window Developer ? Or is it something totally different?

    Arsalan, Apr 29, 2006

  2. The 3 are MCPD, and the 3rd one cover the other 2

    Regards,

    Daniel

    Daniel Carbajal [MVP], Apr 30, 2006

  3. Arsalan

    Cerebrus Guest

    The third one is the "Papa" of the first two ! ;-)

    Cerebrus, Apr 30, 2006
  4. Arsalan

    Arsalan Guest

    Haha, so is the exam available yet?

    Arsalan, May 5, 2006
  5. Arsalan

    Cerebrus Guest

    so is the exam available yet?

    In beta, YES.

    Cerebrus, May 6, 2006
  6. Arsalan

    Guest Guest

    How abt the exam prep materials? Can you please suggest any good books?

    Thanks,
    Vee.

    Guest, May 9, 2006
  7. Arsalan

    Guest Guest

    Here is examwise list for books as suggested by Microsoft.
    All the books are NOT Available yet.
    I am mentioning date of availability of book along with names of the books
    in following list.

    Professional Developer: Enterprise Applications Developer

    Exam 70–549: PRO: Designing and Developing Enterprise Applications by Using
    the Microsoft .NET Framework
    1) MCTS/MCPD Self-Paced Training Kit (Exams 70-529 and 70-549): Distributed
    Application Development/Developing Enterprise Applications -- 10/04/2006
    2) Programming Microsoft Visual C# 2005 Core Reference -- Available
    3) CLR via C#: Applied Microsoft .NET Framework Programming, second
    Edition-- Available
    4) Debugging, Tuning, and Testing Microsoft .NET 2.0 Applications --
    9/27/2006

    Exam 70–536: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 - Application Development
    Foundation

    1) MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-536): Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
    Foundation -- 06/07/2006

    2) Programming Microsoft Visual C# 2005 Core Reference -- Available

    Exam 70–528: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 - Web-Based Client Development
    1) MCTS/MCPD Self-Paced Training Kit (Exams 70-528 and 70-547): Developing
    Web Applications -- 10/04/2006
    2) Programming Microsoft Visual C# 2005 Core Reference -- Available
    3) Programming Microsoft ADO.NET 2.0 Core Reference -- 06/14/2006
    4) Programming Microsoft ASP.NET 2.0 Core Reference -- 11/02/2005
    5) Programming Microsoft ASP.NET 2.0 Applications: Advanced Topics

    Exam 70–526: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 - Windows-Based Client
    Development
    1) MCTS/MCPD Self-Paced Training Kit (Exams 70-526 and 70-548): Developing
    Windows-Based Applications
    2) Programming Microsoft Visual C# 2005 Core Reference -- Available
    3) Programming Microsoft ADO.NET 2.0 Core Reference -- 06/14/2006

    Exam 70–529: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 - Distributed Application
    Development

    Guest, May 10, 2006
  8. Arsalan

    Cerebrus Guest

    Thank you for that compilation, Archana !

    Cerebrus, May 10, 2006
  9. Arsalan

    Guest Guest

    Archana,
    Thanks very much for the info Archana.
    I'm planning to take 70-536 first. However the Amit kalani books are not
    available yet.
    I understand from your message that for Exam 70–536:
    "Programming Microsoft Visual C# 2005 Core Reference -- Available"
    Are there going to be questions from C# too? I do have knowledge in C#, but
    primarily I program in VB (.Net). Also when I checked abt the exam, it was
    mentioned that "When the exam begins, you can choose the programming language
    in which the code segments will appear."
    So do you think I should still prepare for C# too? I'm realy confused.

    Please explain.

    Thanks..

    Guest, May 11, 2006
  10. Arsalan

    Guest Guest

    Daniel and others: the 3rd one (MCPD - Enterprise App Dev) doesn't cover the
    other 2 (MCPD - Web Dev and MCPD - Windows Dev). That means MCPD - EAD is NOT
    the super set of Web and Windows tracks. If you have MCPD - EAD you'll still
    need two exams (70-547 and 70-548) to complete the remaining MCPDs. You can
    have a look at Vishal's blog at http://vishaljoshi.blogspot.com/ to
    understand the whole scenario.

    thanks
    Sumit
    Microsoft Corporation

    Guest, Aug 10, 2006
  11. Arsalan

    Cerebrus Guest

    Hi Sumit,

    It is still unclear to me as to why would a person who is MCPD:EAD, be
    interested in getting MCPD:Web or MCPD:Win certs ? My understanding is
    that MCPD:EAD is a superior certification to the Web or Win tracks.

    This is what the MCPD page says about EAD :

    //
    The Microsoft Certified Professional Developer: Enterprise Applications
    Developer (MCPD: Enterprise Applications Developer) certification
    demonstrates that you have the comprehensive skills that are required
    to build n-tier solutions that ******target both Web and rich-client
    user experiences.******
    \\

    I think the confusion is because I am talking about the purpose of the
    certification while you are talking about the content of the exams.
    Kindly clarify.

    Cerebrus, Aug 10, 2006
  12. Arsalan

    Thor Guest

    Wearing the team-building hat I would prefer a MCPD:Web or MCPD:Win
    developer to do a job implementing web or win applications and maybe a
    MCPD:EAD with some sql or biztalk abilities helping to architect.

    I believe -547 and -548 are there to measure architecural knowledge of
    webdev and windev not measured with the TS-exams.

    It makes sense to me. I failed 71-547 and 71-548, while I passed 71-549 (no
    prep on any)...

    You need to know webdev and windev on the TS-level to do a good job with the
    distributed stuff, but a deeper architectural understanding on webdev and
    windev might not be required.

    Myself, I consider to combine distributed with some DB, process and
    analytical certs, I doubt I'll take the pro webdev or windev, though, there
    should be a new version coming...

    53

    Thor, Aug 10, 2006
  13. Arsalan

    Cerebrus Guest

    Thank you Thor, for that illuminating take on the different roles of
    the certified individuals in the team. It clarifies some concepts...
    but I believe my original question is still unanswered :

    "Why would a person who is already MCPD:EAD, be interested in getting
    MCPD:Web or MCPD:Win certs ?"

    In my case, I'm MCSD.NET, so I would naturally prefer to take the 2
    upgrade exams (553 and 554) and upgrade to MCPD:EAD. Why should I even
    bother with the rest of the exams ? Or should I ?

    Cerebrus, Aug 10, 2006
  14. Yea, I wonder that quite a bit myself. Especially as the MCPD:EAD requires
    the MCTS for both Win & Web development.

    I spent some time looking at what's tested by the remaining MCPD tests (for
    Win and Web) and it's mostly requirements, design, and infrastructure
    stuff - in other words, things I would think would already by covered by my
    MCPD:Enterprise. It's not as if those tests look to be hardcore WinForms or
    ASP.Net tests. Sure there's more of it, but nothing I would really conisder
    to be above-and-beyond what I was already tested for when I got the MCTS
    certifications.

    It's especailly weird, as my MCSD.Net certifications saw me passing both the
    WinForms and WebForms tests. I would have thought that passing the 2 upgrade
    exams would give the MCPD for those two specialites as well.

    I keep trying to talk myself into taking the 2 remaining tests, but I can't
    quite get there.

    Chris Mullins, Aug 11, 2006
  15. I wouldn't agree with that. I would prefer everyone to have the EAD hat, as
    it requires a very solid understanding of the Win & Web material, as well as
    the signifigantly more complex field of inter-process communication. On a
    team with reasonably complex applications, everyone needs to know how to
    build, consume, and manipulate web services, remoted applications, and other
    related technogies. Added to that, the MCPD Win & Web certs don't seem to
    offer any signifigant advantages in terms of architectural knowledge.
    They're a bit more specialized, sure, but not so much as to really be a
    compelling sale to me.

    Speaking for a moment as an MCPD:EAD, I spend most of my time wearing a
    systems architect hat. These systems typically have a database for a back
    end (sometimes sql or oracle, sometimes they hit CICS transactions, and
    sometimes they're downright weird), a business and data tier wrapped by web
    services, (occasionally) some pure SOA components, and both Win & Web front
    ends. There are also typically internet and intranet components,
    administration components, all of which we try to have leverage a common
    infrastructure.

    If someone told me I had to architect a BizTalk solution, or a full data
    wharehouse soution, I would look at them a bit funny and ask them what kind
    of training budget I have accesss to.
    There's not alot of architectural knowledge really in Win or Web
    development - at least not that the exams teach. In either case, the
    architecture should be mostly the same, with a business tier, a data tier, a
    set of aspects for providing utility functions, and a UI Process layer. As
    long as the System Architecture is done well, the presentation tier
    technology is largley immaterial from the perspective of the architect.

    Chris Mullins, Aug 11, 2006
  16. Arsalan

    Thor Guest

    I don't have your experience with MS certifications, I've only taken some
    beta exams. Just starting...
    What makes me credit the MCPD:WEB and MCPD:WIN is the fact that I passed
    the -549 and -529 while failing -536, -547 and -548. This makes me think
    that MCPD:EAD is the easiest MCPD for me. I have done development for some
    time and understand a few generic consepts, but I don't know the details
    within say the ASP controls, localization issues or the BackgroundWorker
    component.

    Thor, Aug 11, 2006
  17. Arsalan

    Thor Guest

    Thor, Aug 11, 2006
  18. Chris Mullins, Aug 11, 2006
  19. Both of those topics are covered by the MCTS certifications. At least they
    were in the Upgrade exams that I took...

    Chris Mullins, Aug 11, 2006