    Enterprise Developer. It looks like their are 4 different upgrade tests that
    can bve taken in many combinations. Can anyone clarify?
    Thanks,

    Guest, Sep 28, 2006

  2. Guest

    EggHead Guest

    Sorry, can't help you.

    Figure it out is part of the new Microsoft cert test schema. In fact, after
    that, you need to be sucessfully explaining it to your boss as well :)

    Anyway,

    2 exams (553,554) to MCPD (ent)
    1 exam (552) to MCPD (Windows)
    1 exam (551) to MCPD (Web)

    Unlike MCAD and MCSD, MCPD (win, web) is not consist in MCPD(win, web).

    cheers,
    Egghead

    EggHead, Sep 28, 2006

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    It looked to me like if you took 551 and\or 552 you needed to take additional
    exams. If I understand you then 553 and 554 would do the trick for MCPD Ent.

    Guest, Sep 28, 2006
  4. Guest

    EggHead Guest

    ya, all you need are 553 and 554.

    Oh, I mean "MCPD (win, web) is not consist in MCPD(ent)".

    cheers,
    Egghead

    EggHead, Sep 28, 2006
  5. All you need to take are exams 70-553 and 70-554 to obtain the MCPD: EAD
    certification. You don't need to take 70-551 and 70-552 as those will only
    earn you the lower tier certifications (MCPD: Win and Web). The MCAD has
    been replaced by the MCPD: Win and MCPD: Web while the MCSD.NET has been
    replaced by the MCPD: EAD.

    Death from Above
    MCPD: EAD, MCSD.NET, MCDBA

    Death from Above, Sep 29, 2006
  6. If you pass 70-553 and 70-554 and you'll be an MCPD:Enterprise.

    That's how I upgraded my MCSD.NET to MCPD:Enterprise.

    Chris Mullins, Sep 29, 2006
  7. Guest

    Egghead Guest

    I will not said MCPD (win and web) are lower tier cert.
    Egghead

    Egghead, Sep 29, 2006
  8. It's tough to tell on that one.

    The way Microsoft has structured it is that MCPD:Enterprise, Win, Web are
    all equal. They are all "the higest level" of certification available.

    Frankely though, this doesn't make much sense to me. I expect the Enterprise
    one to be superior to the Win & Web certifications for a variety of reasons
    that (to me) seem self-evident. The fact that it's not stuctured this way
    continues to baffel me.

    I keep debating taking 2 more exams and getting the MCPD: Win/Web certs just
    for the fun of it. I'm pretty sure I could take both exams cold and pass
    them both without any trouble, so it's just a question of paying for the
    tests and finding the time....

    Chris Mullins, Sep 29, 2006
  9. I will not said MCPD (win and web) are lower tier cert.

    That's okay, I'll say it for you. Think about it. How many tests do you
    need to pass (assuming you have no certifications) to obtain the MCAD? 3.
    How about the MCSD.NET? 5. How about MCPD: Web? 3. And MCPD: Win? 3. Now
    how about MCPD: EAD? 5.

    Less exams required to pass means it's easier to obtain and therefore at a
    lower level.

    Think about it from MS' perspective. What were they going to do for all
    those developers who only develop web apps or only develop windows apps?
    They couldn't just leave them with an MCTS level cert. There had to be an
    MCPD level cert that people who only use one technology (web or win) could
    attain.

    You'll see the same thing happen when the MCITP certs come out for Vista.
    There will be a higher tier cert (equivalent to the MCSE) and a lower tier
    cert (equivalent to the MCSA) but they will both be MCITP certs.

    Death from Above

    Death from Above, Sep 29, 2006
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest

    How long are 553 and 554, are they significantly longer than the normal
    non-upgrade tests? What format? Are they a similar format that the .Net MCSD
    tests where?

    Guest, Sep 29, 2006
  11. Guest

    EggHead Guest

    You make a very good point on the exams #.
    However, you need to prove that 549 covers 547 and 548.
    We sort of know it does, but it is hard to explain it to the boss and they
    use the same book :)
    BTW, if M$ wants that, MCPD (ent) should req the 547 and 548 as well, and
    same as MCAD and MCSD path. But, it is not the case now.

    cheers,
    Egghead

    EggHead, Sep 29, 2006
  12. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Looks like you got good advice from EH, DFA, and Chris, but if you have more
    questions we're actually having a Live Meeting (led by the developer cert
    planner) tomorrow (Wednesday, Oct 25) to answer questions on this.... you're
    definitely not the only one who has questions on it!
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/upgrade/default.mspx (see step 3 for
    live meeting registration links)

    Guest, Oct 24, 2006
  13. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Oct 24, 2006
  14. Guest

    Guest Guest

    If you look at the skills measured by exams 70-547 (PRO: Web), 70-548 (PRO:
    Win) and 70-549 (PRO: Ent) both 70-547 and 70-548 are actually supersets of
    70-549. Although, the only difference is the "Designing and Developing a User
    Interface" category. 70-549 does not measure this skill category at all. From
    this prospective, MCPD Win and MCPD Web are "deeper" then MCPD Ent in their
    specialization areas.

    However, "Designing and Developing a User Interface" category is only about
    10% of the skills measured by 70-547 and 70-548 exams. I don't understand why
    the new certification has three separate exams for this instead of just one
    (like the 70-300 for .NET 1.1 solution architecture).

    Personally, I find the new certification structure confusing and
    frustrating. One one hand, I don't think hiring managers will understand the
    distinction between the different MCPD certifications. On the other hand,
    developers who are upgrading MCSD, will not think it is fair having to take
    two exams (70-553 and 70-554) just to get a single MCPD credential whereas
    MCADs can upgrade to MCPD with just one.

    In fact, why should an MCSD take the two recommended exams (70-553 and
    70-554) to upgrade to MCPD Ent if he or she could earn both MCPD Win and MCPD
    Web by taking exams 70-547 and 70-548? Will the industry reward MCPD Ent
    achievers with salaries higher then achievers of MCPD Win or MCPD Web? Will
    the hiring managers prefer candidates with MCPD Ent over candidates with MCPD
    Web or MCPD Win? I seriously doubt it.

    I would say go for either MCPD Web or MCPD Win. If you have extra time, you
    can get two MCPD credentials (Web and Win), by taking the same number of
    exams as required for single MCPD Ent credential. Yes, you will not take the
    70-549 (Distributed Apps) exam, but most of the skills it measures become
    obsolete with the release of WCF/Indigo anyway. I.e. MCPD Ent is a waste of
    time and money.

    Guest, Oct 25, 2006
  15. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Well, there you go. The new structure of certifications is so confusing that
    I made several typos even though I thought I had a good grip on it by now.
    See the corrections below...

    The line above should refer to exams 70-551 (MCAD->MCPD Web upgrade) and
    70-552 (MCAD->MCPD Win upgrade).
    The line above should refer to exam 70-529 (MCTS Distributed Apps).

    Guest, Oct 25, 2006
  16. Guest

    Thor Guest

    google says: take MCITP of some sort and you will soon be MCA.
    Well, I have a longer road to walk myself.
    53

    Thor, Oct 26, 2006