    are dependable enough to have confidence to take the exam, even if not buying
    Microsoft Press books.Any idea?, your response will be highly
    appreciated..Thanks.

    bugoy, Feb 19, 2008

  2. Confidence comes from having experience with the tested technology.
    These items listed will not do that. Only hands-on experience
    installing, diagnosing, and troubleshooting Windows XP Professional and
    Office XP in a domain environment.

    START - RESEARCH - PLAN - PERFORM - FINISH - TEST - EVALUATE

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Feb 19, 2008

  3. bugoy

    john morris Guest

    these books and training scams are just money makers, if you will read some
    of the mail above you will notice that most of these people had to take
    the exams 3 times, when you sit for the exam it will be a whole new world,
    they do not want you to pass the first 2 times(at $125 each), if you can
    remember the settings in 10,000 dialog boxes, and 20,000 radio button
    settings, with how to configure and troubleshoot all the office programs,
    networking, and most of the systems administators tasks(so they can drink
    coffee and eat doughnuts) and if you want to work for half of what they are
    getting go for it!

    john morris, Feb 20, 2008
  4. What in the world are you talking about?!? First off, one should take
    advantage of Microsoft's Second Shot
    (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/offers/secondshot/default.mspx).
    Secondly, KNOW THE TECHNOLOGY. And last, there is no way I would have an
    allow an MCDST to perform my duties as a System Administrator.

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Feb 20, 2008
  5. bugoy

    john morris Guest

    first, know the technology(1000 pages of so called training for mcdst), not
    one question on the test addressed anything i had studied! second, what are
    you selling?

    john morris, Feb 20, 2008
  6. I am selling common sense, and someone needs a dose. Certifications are
    for experienced individuals. Microsoft states, "The MCDST credential is
    for IT professionals who are working in the typically complex computing
    environment of small, medium, or large organizations. An MCDST candidate
    should have 6-12 months of experience supporting end-users of a desktop
    operating system." Do you fall into this category? If not then get some
    experience and stop the whining. Otherwise evaluate your score, practice
    on your weaknesses and pass the test.

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Feb 20, 2008
  7. bugoy

    bugoy Guest

    Thanks.Truly , all of you have great inputs and ideas. What I miss out to say
    or should I only ask if this will help as one factor to have confidence in
    taking the exam. Of course right now Im supporting XP pro on a domain
    environment (2 yrs+), I have also pulling out resources from microsoft sites
    and I need to have 3 to 4 months review before taking the exams. Thanks a lot
    for your usual supports.

    bugoy, Feb 20, 2008
  8. bugoy

    john morris Guest

    30 years as a certified electronics tech(computers)ISCET, 8 years as the IT
    tech for a civil engineering company, does this qualify me? or how about
    this, MCP, CET, RLS, PHD?

    john morris, Feb 20, 2008
  9. From the sound of it, you have things under control. I would save your
    money on any additional study material and use
    http//www.microsoft.com/technet.

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Feb 20, 2008
  10. Apparently not since you have been unsuccessful in passing this exam.
    This is a specialty exam dealing with diagnosing and troubleshooting
    Windows XP Professional and Microsoft Office product in a domain
    environment. It has nothing to do with your currently held designations.

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Feb 20, 2008
  11. bugoy

    John R Guest

    Apparently not.

    MCDST is all about installing, supporting, and troubleshooting Microsoft
    operating systems (specifically XP), and supporting end users with
    applications (such as Office).

    CET The exam is the basic electronics portion of the full credit CET exam
    and must be passed with a score of 75% or better. This multiple-choice test
    covers basic electronics, math, DC and AC circuits, transistors and
    troubleshooting. A successful associate CET will receive a wall certificate
    valid for four years and is eligible to join ISCET, the International
    Society of Certified Electronics Technicians.

    CET does not appear to be applicable in any way to MCDST.

    I am not sure what RLS is, I can find no information on it in a basic "RLS
    Certification" web search. Could you expand on what that is?

    PHD in what? Doctoral degrees are always in Philosophy, but of what?
    Electronics? Medicine? Communications?

    MCP, well we all know that means you have passed at least one Microsoft
    exam, but that test could have been in SQL or any other of a multitude of
    things that have nothing to do with MCDST.

    As an IT tech for a civil engineering company, what were your job
    responsibilities because this is the most promising of the things you
    listed? Did you fix and repair electronics or did you install, support, and
    troubleshoot Microsoft operating systems (specifically XP) and applications
    (most specifically, Office applications) ?

    Please don't take this the wrong way, I am trying to answer your question.
    I trust that you are a pretty intelligent person based on the CET alone, let
    alone the PHD. If you are, surely you would realize that there are many
    many people that have passed these tests on the first try.

    I also have an electronics background (FCC Amateur Extra license and
    Volunteer Examiner which NARTE recognizes), but I found that to be of no
    help while acquiring my MCSA 2000, MCSE 2003, and MCDST, all without a
    failed test.

    Either way, I hope that you calm down, get your sights straight, and
    accomplish what it is you are after.

    John R

    John R, Feb 20, 2008
  12. bugoy

    John R Guest

    Note: I did not mean to dimish the CET in this post. CET is much more than
    basic electronics, and includes sections on audio, video, medical equipment,
    radar, etc. The info I posted is just the CET associate, not the full blown
    CET. CET is closely related to the FCC CROL (Commercial Radio Operator
    License). Those of us who are into radio and electronics understand that
    the CET and CROL are very comprehensive and very desireable/valuable if you
    are in those fields.

    John R, Feb 20, 2008
  13. bugoy

    Ben 01635 Guest

    Hi,

    I'm in the middle of my MCDST course, got part one and working toward part
    two. Be wary of using 'Cram Session' type material, apart from being frowned
    upon it can devalue your certification. Unfortunately it is really a case of
    you do need to know it. I would recommend signing up for an aproved training
    course that offers tutor led training. Also bare this in mind..... two or
    more people can sit an MS exam at exactly the same place and at the same
    time, however they are unlikely to get the same set of questions!
    Honestly, the best course of action is to follow official material and get
    down and learn it! - Reciting answers from practice exams won't get you
    through, the tests are designed to really test knowledge and understanding.

    Good luck with it, it's rewarding and worth the effort when you pass!

    Ben 01635, May 19, 2008