    It took 50 minutes to download 42 emails totalling less than 4 mb.

    Any suggestions or is it get my money back time?

    Cheers

    turboaceman, Oct 16, 2006

  2. turboaceman

    Evan Platt Guest

    Get your money back.

    McAffee is bloatware.

    What O/S are you using? There are many free alternatives.

    Evan Platt, Oct 16, 2006

  3. turboaceman

    turboaceman Guest

    Humm - XP Pro, DSL G604T wireless modem. The thing is I've got my own
    business and need something 'professional'

    turboaceman, Oct 16, 2006
  4. turboaceman

    turboaceman, Oct 16, 2006
  5. turboaceman

    joevan Guest

    Then go get Kaspersky. Nothing is better.

    joevan, Oct 16, 2006
  6. turboaceman

    Meat Plow Guest

    Request a refund.

    Meat Plow, Oct 16, 2006
  7. turboaceman

    Meat Plow Guest

    Avira and Ewido.

    Meat Plow, Oct 16, 2006
  8. turboaceman

    philo Guest

    McAfee is definately one of the worst resource hogs I've ever seen...
    I maintain a few machines at an internet cafe ...they came pre-setup with
    McAfee
    several years ago.
    The machines are P-III's...but ther run like P-1's

    philo, Oct 16, 2006
  9. turboaceman

    Shannon Guest

    Shannon, Oct 16, 2006
  10. enlightened us
    24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:
    Looks alike. You didn't say anything about the specs of your pc,
    though - how much horsepower (MHz), how much braincells (RAM),
    speed/cachesize of your harddrive(s) ....
    Besides all that, a virus scanner is a virus scanner - it should do the
    job it's designed for, and not aim to be a "firewall" or spamfilter or
    a set of application proxies. Everything half done ....
    So, stay with a dedicated virus scanner - Kaspersky is fine, but do not
    buy their new "internet security suite". Instead, buy a NAT router and
    attach it between your cable modem and the pc(s). You get such routers
    for about $40,- maybe even with wlan for a few $ more.
    Once again, a "personal firewall" is as easy to bypass as IEs "security
    settings", and it gives nothing more but a false feeling of security.
    Well, I see you got a "wireless modem" - is that one a cable/dsl modem
    with wlan (that would also be a router) or is it a wifi modem with just
    one ethernet lan port (then you should attach a router)?

    Walter Mautner, Oct 17, 2006
  11. turboaceman

    turboaceman Guest

    Thanks for this

    Its 1.9ghz, 750 mb RAM, currently using cable to connect to single port
    on D-Link G604-T Although I would like to be able to connect via
    wireless too.

    What's a NAT router?

    Please correct me I'm wrong but I think this is a possible solution

    1. Get rid of Mcafee Security Centre
    2. Install a virus scanner (could be Mcafee as I've already got the
    option on it - see later)
    3. Personal Firewalls are not required as I'm sitting behind the
    G604-T. This contains a hard firewall which is impenetrable??
    4.Set the G604 to WPA or WPA2 security

    Several people have mentioned free virus software - are they as
    effective as the paid for stuff?

    turboaceman, Oct 17, 2006
  13. turboaceman

    Mara Guest

    On 17 Oct 2006 01:04:24 -0700, wrote:

    Network Address Translation. Basic explanation - it means that your computers
    are setting on an IP address, and the router presents a different one to the
    outside world.
    Don't use McAfee.
    There is no such thing as impenetrable.

    http://www.sometips.com/tips/security/191.htm
    That will help.
    IME, no.

    Mara, Oct 17, 2006
  14. enlightened us
    24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:
    That "horsepower" and amount of ram should almost fly with xp (not too
    much autostart programs, bloatware and GUI gimmicks).
    I think you should try a livecd to see the difference: though livecds
    are slow by nature (reading from cd takes longer then from a
    harddrive), you will enjoy it.
    Then trash the McBloat :)
    As already told, "network address translation", often also
    named "masquerading". You have one official routable IP address from
    your modem, and one or more "private range" non-routable addresses of
    the range 192.168.x.y (other private ranges are rarely set up as
    default on SOHO routers). Which means, noone from the internet side can
    directly address or portscan your pc(s).
    If you want to setup a server, you will have to forward the proper ports
    to your server, which can be done by setting up the router through its
    web interface.
    I am uncertain if you can get one thing without the other - you may try
    it, but do not expect miracles. However, sometimes the slow boot is
    merely caused by "personal firewalls" blocking essential windows
    communication or dhcp address renewals during bootup.
    A packet-forwarding firewall can only protect you from direct attacks
    from the outside. It cannot identify or block a program you
    (deliberately or not) chose to execute, after you downloaded it from
    suspicious sources or received it via e-mail.
    But then, even if personal firewall software tries to convince you it
    can block such programs at least when they call out, it won't catch the
    real threats.
    Yes, no doubt, that's a good thing. You should first be sure your
    wireless pc interface can do wpa as well.
    As I already told, you get a commercial grade kaspersky version, without
    the pfw bloat, at the site www.activevirusshield.com, with a key valid
    for one year. And in addition, free anti-spyware that does a better job
    of blocking trojans, adware and bad sites. Google for "adware personal"
    or "spybot search & destroy".

    Walter Mautner, Oct 17, 2006