    I have used Norton in the past and been satisfied. Is Norton still a
    good product? Any others? I will never ever use McAfee again.

    Mike

    mfrumkin, Mar 6, 2004

  2. mfrumkin

    Leythos Guest

    I use it on over 2800 computers and servers and have never had a virus
    while Norton/Symantec was protecting those systems.

    Leythos, Mar 6, 2004

  3. mfrumkin

    Alan Walker Guest

    Have run both McAfee and Symantec on large numbers of commercial systems
    without problems but having read the latest reports I now use Kaspersky at
    home.

    Alan Walker, Mar 6, 2004
  4. You should know that corporate/enterprise AV software is usually superior to retail versions
    and that Symantec support is no better, if not worse, than NAI/McAfee.

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Mar 6, 2004
  5. mfrumkin

    vb Guest

    I have never had an issue with Norton. I had McAfee befor and they were a
    disaster.

    V.B.

    vb, Mar 6, 2004
  6. here's my professional (tongue-in-cheek) opinion about mcafee and
    norton:

    I wouldn't hit a dog in the ass with either.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, Mar 6, 2004
  7. Conversely, I have never had an issue with McAfee in almost 15 years of use - YMMV, so they
    say :)

    Dave

    | I have never had an issue with Norton. I had McAfee befor and they were a
    | disaster.
    |
    | V.B.
    |

    | | > You should know that corporate/enterprise AV software is usually superior
    | to retail versions
    | > and that Symantec support is no better, if not worse, than NAI/McAfee.
    | >
    | > Dave

    | > | says...
    | > |
    | > | I use it on over 2800 computers and servers and have never had a virus
    | > | while Norton/Symantec was protecting those systems.
    | > |
    | > | --
    | > | --
    | > |

    David H. Lipman, Mar 6, 2004
  8. mfrumkin

    Doug Fox Guest

    McAfee's anti-virus is a great program. I wouldn't count on its tech
    support. One point in time, even I have escalated to its Country Manager,
    it was no avail.

    Doug Fox, Mar 6, 2004
  9. mfrumkin

    MDRai Guest

    http://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp?ErrCode=PLEASE_LOGIN

    Try the above link....as if you don't have a login id already, you can
    create one
    and re-download from the estore...I have been successful with this
    methodology
    in the past...May I suggest that you back up the downloaded version this
    time?

    MDRai, Mar 6, 2004
  10. mfrumkin

    donutbandit Guest

    Norton has gone the way of most other good things that have been bought
    out. I read little about it in numerous groups but problems. I wouldn't
    touch it.

    donutbandit, Mar 6, 2004
  11. mfrumkin

    Jim Watt Guest

    McCafee is still the best product. Perhaps you should have
    done a backup. Why not buy the product retail on a CD ?

    Jim Watt, Mar 6, 2004
  12. People don't post the good. They post the bad.

    How often do you see "My product works great, I love it". People post when they have
    problems not when they are not having problems. Subsequently, people remember the bad and
    not the good so statistical information that is derived from UseNet News Group posts to come
    to a conclusion that a product is good or bad is a false conclusion.

    Dave

    | |

    David H. Lipman, Mar 6, 2004
  13. mfrumkin

    Leythos Guest

    The Home user version of McRappy is not a good product. I've seen time
    and time again where the updates were never installed because the users
    don't' know they had to register - they just assumed it would fetch new
    updates once installed. Symantec and NAV have always pulled updates
    without the need to register the product.

    Leythos, Mar 6, 2004
  14. Leythos:

    I think you'll find things are different with McAfee VirusScan v8.0 Home Edition.

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Mar 6, 2004
  15. mfrumkin

    Gladys Pump Guest

    I've been using NOD32 for the past month or two. Excellent integration with
    my mail server and very transparent in operation. I like it's layout, and
    user interface, so will be sticking with it.

    http://www.esetsoftware.co.uk/

    I can't comment on my choice of AV vendor's tech support, as I've never
    needed to contact them yet, nor with any other AV vendor's product I've
    purchased for that matter.

    As was mentioned before, back up your downloads ! Print out a receipt from
    the order, and keep a copy or two of any emails sent to you after
    purchasing.

    And remember, any AV product is only as good as it's last update. For what
    that's worth ...

    Good luck !

    Regs, Pete.

    Gladys Pump, Mar 6, 2004
  16. mfrumkin

    donutbandit Guest

    There certainly is enough bad posted about it to warrant suspicion. I read
    something negative about Norton at least twice a week in various groups.
    In the Windows help groups, the first question that is asked is usually "do
    you have Norton?" and the answer is almost invariably "yes."

    A Google search will turn up plenty of evidence.

    Programs that work well do not get bad reports written about them. Norton,
    McAfee and a few others are continually coming up as sources of problems.

    donutbandit, Mar 6, 2004
  17. mfrumkin

    donutbandit Guest

    When you've invoked the AV, you have exposed a hole in your Internet
    security. The AV should always be the last resort. If you practice safe
    computing, the AV shouldn't be more than an afterthought.

    donutbandit, Mar 6, 2004
  18. mfrumkin

    Jim Watt Guest

    <snip>

    Well, I ran McAfee on my win/98 machine and we generally sell
    it to clients and ensure it gets updated OK. It less invasive than
    Norton, which if it screws up is a real pain to uninstall etc

    However, I begin to question the point of taking up resources
    when the solution is to keep the problems outside the network.

    Filtering all executable attachments at the mailserver and locking
    out hotmail and yahoo seem to be an effective method
    of virus control.

    Jim Watt, Mar 6, 2004
  19. How will that help with; CIH, NYB or Form ?

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Mar 6, 2004
  20. mfrumkin

    Leythos Guest

    The version I was talking about is only a year old - in fact, the
    version I was talking about came with a new dell laptop. in order to get
    the "updates" to download you have to register it.

    Leythos, Mar 6, 2004