    jobs out there would like the degree vs. the certifications.

    Someone with at least 5+ years exp. please help
    Thanks

    Guest, Jan 19, 2006

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    A lot of big companies would like you to have a bachelor (any type) before
    they move you to PM.

    Egghead

    Guest, Jan 19, 2006

  3. Guest

    alchemy Guest

    having those diplomas from microsoft and elsewhere shows that you have
    knowledge of he specific technologies, that you are up to date and your
    passion with technologies.

    having a degree implies you have a strong fundamental basis, ethics and
    ability to learn.

    these are said generally speaking. you might find exceptions etc.

    to answer the question if a uni degree is necessary or/and if the
    certifications can replace it, my answer is that yes a degree is
    important and necessary and offers a broader view (you can see the
    whole picture).

    alchemy, Jan 20, 2006
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I will add from personal experience with college recently in Information
    Systems (although not CompSci our degree plan has more web development
    classes less OOP classes).

    When it comes to Resume sex appeal, HR managers desire for PM position etc,
    yes. Degree is extremely nice to have.
    When it comes to pure knowledge base? The following will answer that.

    I took a database class where the teacher was still talking about primary
    keys during MID semester! I had a co-student ask for my help because he
    didn’t understand the concept of right click on a table name to change its
    name and he was making a B in the class! I joke not!

    Guest, Jan 21, 2006
  5. Guest

    certguru

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Free MCPD Study Guide & Degrees with credit for Microsoft Certifications

    Hi,
    If you want to continue the Microsoft route, refer to my Free study guide for MCPD.

    It is very useful, but not essential to have a CS degree to progress in a career in IT.

    In order to grow to management cadre any Bachelors (such as mentioned below) and then an MBA is more useful than a CS degree.

    In order to grow in technical cadre, following are some degrees that can be done long distance which provide credits for Microsoft Certifications -

    1) Bachelors - BS in IT from Excelsior College

    2) Masters - Masters of System Development (Microsoft Stream)

    Thanks,
    Certguru

    For free help with MCPD - Free study guide for MCPD.

    certguru, Feb 10, 2006