MCAD/MCSD Developing Web Applications ... Chapter 5 -- How to install Contacts database?

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by Scott Gravenhorst, Nov 18, 2003.

  1. I am at Chapter 5 in this book and have come to a problem that I can't
    solve. The instructions in the book say that I must install a
    "contacts" database. I would have thought that the installer for the
    lesson files would have done this, but it did not as I cannot see the
    database when using Server Explorer.

    I found a script file (InstallContacts.sql) in the chapter 5
    subdirectory which I can execute using OSQL, but at first try, it
    failed.

    I did some web searching and found a website where someone had
    described something similar to my problem where he indicated that the
    filepaths in the database installer script were incorrect. I added
    the drive letter to the paths and the script then creates the
    database, but fails when it executes the stored procedure
    grantdbaccess claiming that the user ASPNET doesn't exist. The user
    ASPNET does, in fact, exist (it was created by the VS.NET install, I
    believe).

    So at this point, I have the database installed, but the web
    application fails because it doesn't have access.

    Any help is greatly appreciated as I can't do anything with any
    lessons that need this database.

    Scott Gravenhorst, Nov 18, 2003

  2. Scott Gravenhorst

    csharpsnet Guest

    Even I faced the same problem when I was trying to run my
    ASP.NET web application.
    Try this:

    Add ASPNET user in the SQL Server database and grant all
    permissions for the Contacts database for this user.

    csharpsnet, Nov 20, 2003