    I have seen wide and varying figures for both Sype and SIP voip but,
    perhaps, we might get a more definitive answer here.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, May 12, 2006

  2. Brian A

    Tim Guest

    http://www.newport-networks.com/pages/voip-bandwidth-calculator.html

    Will let you calculate the bandwidth for various codecs.

    One thing to remember is that the amount of IP and ethernet overhead is
    significant compared to the amount of audio data.

    I have no idea about Sykpe. Sorry.

    Tim

    Tim, May 12, 2006

  3. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    Thanks for that Tim. Also, for quick calculation I found a unit
    converter here.
    http://tinyurl.com/pyeyh
    OK thats SIP voip taken care of....
    Now, what about the SKYPE download with and without video?
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, May 12, 2006
  4. Brian A

    Brian A Guest

    I have made a calculation from information on Skype forums etc.
    It seems to come out at:-
    About 2MB/hour idle.
    Up to 30MB/hour voice only
    Up to 56MB/hour video and voice.
    Does anyone dispute this?

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, May 12, 2006
  5. Brian A

    lab Guest

    The video and voice seems a low to me, even with out overheads etc, thats a
    128Kilobit a second (or 64kilobit each direction), you might get a very low
    quality stuttering video on that, but i would expect most people to push
    double/triple that figure.

    lab, May 12, 2006