Maybe O/T... FF Q

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Mar 8, 2012.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I've recently upgraded from Firefox 3.something to <checks version>
    ver10.0.2. (I dislike change for change's sake, I was happy with the older
    version, it did all that I wanted it to do but I was getting nags all the
    time..)

    Anyway, I'm getting used to the new look now but would love to switch off
    the 'feature' that hides parts of the URL (such as http//:www) and also
    makes all but the main site grey rather than black. I like to chack the URL
    when I go to a site and this is pissing me off.

    I've had a quick look through the 'settings' but have to go off to the
    Doctor's now. It'd be great to come home and find the answer. ;-) That's
    assuming it can be done. If there's nothing here when I get back I'll Google
    a bit and see but that way lies traps. I can end up losing huge chunks of my
    day on Google searches, going off on tangents. Must be my ADHD.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Mar 8, 2012

  2. ~misfit~

    Malcolm Guest

    Linux rocks.... ;)

    browser.urlbar.trimURLs;false

    Linux rocks.... ;)

    I've started using startpage.com for searches....

    Malcolm, Mar 8, 2012

  3. ~misfit~

    bugalugs Guest

    Better take your time at the doc coz no-ones come up with anything.
    You could ask over at news.mozilla.org mozilla.support.firefox

    bugalugs, Mar 8, 2012

  4. type in the address bar about:config
    scroll down to browser.urlbar.{whatever} and try to play with the
    settings there.
    I toggled oneclickselectsall to false and doubleclickselectsall to true,
    and when I try to click on a youtube video the full url gets displayed
    in the url bar.
    Alas, I am still using version 4.01

    h.t.h., -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Mar 8, 2012
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Thanks Peter, I'll have a play with it tomorrow.

    Hope you're well.

    ~misfit~, Mar 8, 2012
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    LOL, smartarse! Good to see you posting my friend.

    ~misfit~, Mar 8, 2012
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I'll try Peter's idea tomorrow, then, if no luck will look on teh webz.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Mar 8, 2012
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Hi again. :)

    Turns out that after going into about:config I had to find the line that
    said 'browser.urlbar.formatting.enabled' and change it to false. Now the
    whole URL is displayed and none of it is faded, as it's always been. (I
    don't trust teh webs enough to *not* be able to see all of the URL or have
    most of it faded and hard to read.)

    Thanks for the pointer.

    ~misfit~, Mar 9, 2012