    that in the past month or so? Am I nuts, or has anyone else heard about
    it? (Don't answer literally about my mental health, PLEASE!)

    dave

    Bay Area Dave, Sep 20, 2003

  2. Bay Area Dave

    Scott Coutts Guest

    Yes, there is. Some ultrasonic vibration thing. But I cant remember
    the details either!

    Scott Coutts, Sep 20, 2003

  3. Bay Area Dave

    Chuck Isdale Guest

    Read something about the Olympus E-1 having an "ultrasonic" cleansing
    of the CCD at power on. Could that be what you read about ? Have not
    read anything about it's effectiveness in the field. Have read posts
    about cleaning the CCD after it gets dirty with other DSLRs. So this
    is evidently trying to address a real problem.

    (I am saving my pennies so I can actually experience all this first
    hand.)

    -- Chuck Isdale

    Chuck Isdale, Sep 20, 2003
  4. Bay Area Dave

    Todd Walker Guest

    Olympus E1:

    "In creating a digital SLR whose image quality is second-to-none, we
    made sure that nothing would impede your photographic success, not even
    the smallest of particles. With Olympus' exclusive Supersonic Wave
    Filter, the dust and micro particles that may settle on the imager of
    the E-1 and block light are blocked and can be quickly and easily
    disposed of so you never have to give them a second thought.

    Automatic operation upon powering up the camera and during pixel
    mapping, the Supersonic Wave Filter causes an ultra-discrete high-speed
    vibration that literally makes the dust and/or other particles fall off
    so they can't block the imager. This ultrasonic device can also be
    manually turned on via the intuitive menu system to be utilized at any
    time during the shoot. The results are impressively clear, colorful
    photographs without aberrations, and a comprehensive digital SLR system
    that sets - and continuously meets - the standard in image quality."

    Reprinted from:

    http://www.olympusamerica.com/e1/index.html

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Sep 20, 2003
  5. Bay Area Dave

    Mister M. Guest

    The new Olympus E1.

    Mister M., Sep 20, 2003
  6. cool! thanks Todd. I wasn't crazy after all!! :) Is Olympus up there
    in serious digital photogphers's minds like Canon and Nikon?

    dave

    Bay Area Dave, Sep 20, 2003
  7. OK, and where do they go?

    Mike Latondresse, Sep 21, 2003
  8. Bay Area Dave

    Paul Cordes Guest

    I believe, though I'm not positive, that they fall down to a charged plate
    beneath the CCD where you can mop them up with a moist Q-tip.

    Paul Cordes, Sep 21, 2003