Maxtor USB 120g External HD PROBLEMS

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by cornchip, Jun 28, 2004.

  1. cornchip

    cornchip Guest

    Hello all

    I use WinXP Home on a Gateway M500 Notebook.

    I have a Maxtor 120g external HD connected by a USB 2.0 cable. There are
    two partitions, both NTFS file format. When I boot up my pc, I get a 'blue
    screen' telling me that 'one of my disks needs to be checked for
    consistency.' Then windows proceeds to go thru my files on the HD (music
    ..mp3 files) and DELETES half of them. This happened once and my whole
    collection got wiped out and after I recovered from that, it happend again.

    What am I doing wrong?

    The last time that I lost all my files, I followed the help section on the
    MAxtor website for formatting properly. This time I thought that it was
    going to work and I still end up with missing files during this Windows
    Consistence check.

    Also, I ALWAYS receive a "windows delayed write failed" error after my PC
    has been sitting or has gone into hibernation. The drive that I am having
    problems with is F:\ and the delayed write failed error is always deive F:.

    I am writing this before I go off to work, and I apologize if this seems a
    little hasty. You people here have helped me before and I am hoping for
    some information on this annoying problem.

    Thanks in advance

    Jim (cornchip)

    cornchip, Jun 28, 2004

  2. cornchip

    TT Guest

    TT, Jun 28, 2004

  3. cornchip

    Jim Berwick Guest

    Um, maybe the hard drive is dying? Run maxtor's maxblast utilities and
    check out the drive.

    Jim Berwick, Jun 28, 2004
  4. cornchip

    cornchip Guest

    no, it is a storage drive only

    I am going to run max blast utilities, as advice given here

    i'll check in soon ;)

    cornchip, Jun 28, 2004