    touch' 4 , 'back up' software with it. Would it be better to use this
    software or the Windows back up utility that comes packaged with Windows XP
    please?

    johngood_____, Dec 18, 2007

  2. johngood_____

    R. McCarty Guest

    That's a difficult call, but usually any 3rd-Party software will have more
    features/capabilities than the basic functions provided by Windows. The
    key is to setup an appropriate backup routine ( Full System, Personal
    Data ) on a fixed schedule and make sure any "Verification Pass" on the
    backup is performed. Also, split the end result modules so they can be
    periodically burned to a permanent media ( CD-R, DVD-R ). It's not
    enough to simply have the backups store on another "Magnetic" type
    of storage. All disk drives are susceptible to failure. Finally, be sure the
    data backups are readable/usable. There is nothing worse than having
    a backup that cannot be used.

    R. McCarty, Dec 18, 2007

  3. I'm not familiar with the Maxtor software, but my guess is that it's
    superior to the built-in Windows backup tool, which is about as
    primitive a backup tool as you can get.

    But what not try both, and see which is preferred?

    Ken Blake, MVP, Dec 18, 2007