Maximum JVM heap size greater than 1.8GB will prevent ColdFusion M

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, May 8, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Good day Gentlemen (and ladies)

    I havs some developers here who are working on a new product and they have
    run into a road block, I have posted the error and the JAVA fix below

    Issue
    If a maximum heap size of 1.8GB or greater is entered in the Macromedia
    ColdFusion MX Administrator's Java/JVM Settings page and the change is
    submitted, you will receive a message stating the server must be restarted in
    order for the change to take effect. The attempt to restart the server will
    fail and the following message will be displayed:

    Windows:
    Windows could not start the ColdFusion MX Application Server on Local
    Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this
    is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to
    service-specific error code 2.

    On 32-bit processor machines, the largest contiguous memory address space
    the operating system can allocate to a process is 1.8GB. Because of this, the
    maximum heap size can only be set up to 1.8GB. On 64-bit processor machines,
    the 1.8 GB limit does not apply, as 64-bit processor machines have a larger
    memory address space.

    Solution
    To correct this issue, the jvm.config file must be modified:

    Open the cf_root/runtime/bin/jvm.config file in a text editor.
    Locate the section labeled "# Arguments to VM".
    Modify the -Xmx variable to set a maximum heap size less than 1.8GB.

    For example: -Xmx1024m
    Save the file.
    Restart ColdFusion.

    Now, My Question is : Can I load a 32 bit machine with the 64 bit O/S and
    remedy this situation or is this possible the fact that it is using 64 bit
    word or will the O/S allow the Maximum heap size to be larger despite the
    fact that it is a 32 bit processor

    --
    Scott A Cummins
    Sr. Systems Engineer

    Guest, May 8, 2007

  2. Guest

    Jane C Guest

    See inline:

    If you have a 32 bit processor running a 32 bit operating system, then you
    are stuck with that 1.8GB limit. If you have a 64 bit processor running a
    64 bit operating system, then the 1.8GB limit does not apply.

    You cannot install a 64 bit operating system on a 32 bit processor.

    Jane C, May 9, 2007