    So - does anyone have a 775? And if so; have you got anything larger
    than a 256Mb CF card?

    Tim

    Pikey, Apr 17, 2004

  2. Pikey

    Don Guest

    The indexing and storage overhead are all contained within the CF card. The
    only limit on size is the type of file format used by the camera. Most
    older cameras use FAT16 (sometimes just called FAT). They will have a limit
    of 2 GB, but most cameras will accept larger cards, using only the first 2
    GB.

    Many of the newer cameras use the FAT32 format for the CF card. For those
    cameras, the card size can be considered to be unlimited for the foreseeable
    future.

    If you have a card reader, right-click on the card in Windows explorer (or
    "My Computer") and select "Properties." Under the "General" tab you will
    find "File System" which will tell you if the card is FAT or FAT32.

    BTW, the difference between FAT16 and FAT32 is the reason why it's usually
    not a good idea to format the card in the computer. It's better to let the
    camera format the card the way it wants to.

    Don

    Don, Apr 17, 2004

  3. Pikey

    Pikey Guest

    Thanks Don; and the existing card is indeed FAT16. But while what you say is
    reassuring, Nikon seem to firmly say that nothing larger than 160Mb is
    approved; and I've only come across one reference to someone successfully
    using a 256Mb card.

    There must be thousands of Coolpix 775 users out there - I'd just like to
    know if anyone's successfully using a 512Mb or even 1Gb card; and if so,
    what brand it is............. ?

    Tim

    Pikey, Apr 17, 2004
  4. Pikey

    Banjopikr1 Guest

    Maximum Compactflash size for Nikon Coolpix 775

    My wife uses a 256mb and my 512mb card(when I let her........) The camera will
    use up to a 2 gig. card. A larger card could be put in the camera, but the
    camera will only format and use 2 gig.

    Banjopikr1, Apr 18, 2004
  5. Pikey

    Pikey Guest

    Thanks, Banjo - what makes are the 256 and 512 cards, if you don't mind me
    asking?

    Tim

    Pikey, Apr 18, 2004
  6. Pikey

    Mark M Guest

    The make is irrelevant to whether they will be recognized, since they all
    will...but perhaps you were asking for some other reason...

    Mark M, Apr 18, 2004
  7. Pikey

    Andrew Guest

    Some devices don't get on with some cards. He was probably asking so
    he could buy the same brand as you to be safe.

    Andrew, Apr 18, 2004
  8. Pikey

    Pikey Guest

    Precisely - and because the first time I'll get to use the camera will be
    "in anger", as it were - (I won't have the battery charger until I meet my
    parents on a family holiday,) and the last thing I want to find is that
    because I bought a "45 times" card, the 775 only works with "8 times" or
    some such and I'm stuck with using the existing 8Mb card!

    Nonetheless- all advices most gratefully received, and thanks to all who
    have offered.

    Tim

    Pikey, Apr 18, 2004
  9. Pikey

    Minty Guest

    I'm using a 256Mb card in my Coolpix 885. It's in FAT format. I would like
    to get a 512Mb card in the future and hope it would work just as fine.

    Minty, Apr 18, 2004
  10. Do a Google search for "Compact Flash" and faulty batches, incompatibilities
    etc. After I'd upgraded from my 775 to a 4500, I ran into "card failure"
    problems with my 4500 - and the cards turned out to be from a faulty batch.
    They worked fine in my 10D.

    Malcolm Stewart, Apr 18, 2004