    information on this point?

    Brian Rumary, England

    http://freespace.virgin.net/brian.rumary/homepage.htm

    B.Rumary, Dec 29, 2003

  2. B.Rumary

    Clanger Guest

    perhaps this is a starting point

    http://www.mobileplanet.com/product.asp?cat_id=107&cat_name=Presentation+&
    +Digital+Camera&dept_id=1445&pf_id=MP970849&listing=1&bs_id=MP970849

    am looking via google

    clanger

    Clanger, Dec 29, 2003

  3. B.Rumary

    Clanger Guest

    after extensive searches I found nothing on the 5700 FAT system.

    I reformatted a 1Gig Microdrive in my 5700 and inspected it with
    SiSoftSandra. FAT is all that is stated.

    Comparing this to my Comp harddrives, which I know are FAT32 Sisoft confirms
    this.

    I therefore assume the Coolpix 5700 to be FAT 16

    clanger

    Clanger, Dec 29, 2003
  4. B.Rumary

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    Dan Sullivan, Dec 29, 2003
  5. You can also get there with http://tinyurl.com/yptbu .

    When you get there, you have to click on "more..." to see
    the remarks about FAT16 vs FAT32.

    You might find the following comment, from
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/C/CompactFlash.html , helpful:

    There are two types of CompactFlash cards to
    accommodate different capacities: Type I cards are
    3.3mm thick while Type II cards are 5.5mm thick.

    I see in the specs for the Nikon Coolpix 5700, at
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/nikon5700.html ,
    it says

    CompactFlash Type II card slot (Microdrive
    compatible)

    That looks promising.

    I would expect to get a firm answer from Canon Customer
    Support as to which FAT my Canon S45 uses. Have you thought
    of contacting Nikon Customer Support about your camera?

    I've become curious enough about this to submit a question
    to Nikon at http://tinyurl.com/2y6up (clicking on "Ask Nikon
    a question"). They say they'll give me an answer within
    three days.

    I asked them whether the Coolpix 5700 handles FAT32 or only
    FAT16, and I also asked them what is the largest CF memory
    the 5700 can handle.

    By the way, in shopping around and comparing prices on CF
    cards, I've noticed that there are different makers, but I
    seem to see Sandisk more often than others. I now find the
    following remark from the above Webopedia URL interesting in
    that connection:

    CompactFlash was invented by SanDisk Corporation in
    1994.

    There's a news story, dated 14 March 2003, about Sandisk's
    announcement of the 4 GB card. It has the comment "A
    handful of Pro cameras, and all of Canon's recent
    announcements at PMA, support FAT32."

    The following comment, at
    http://www.loftynotion.com/ln,asp,ProductID_7090,mktm_Canon-S45,nl,Item.htm
    is interesting in that it doesn't list any Nikon camera:

    Use the Lexar 4 GB CompactFlash with:

    Canon S45
    Canon PowerShot G3
    Canon S50
    Canon PowerShot G5
    ImageMate 8-In-1
    ImageMate
    Canon Digital Rebel/Lens
    Canon Digital Rebel
    Minolta DiMAGE A1

    Bob Cunningham, Dec 29, 2003
  6. This test tells you that the 5700 works with FAT16 and formats 1GB cards
    with FAT16, but it doesn't tell whether it works with FAT32 or not.

    To make that test, format your MicroDrive with FAT32 in a card reader or
    PCMCIA adapter on your PC. Then see if the card will work (without
    reformatting) in the 5700.

    -Mike

    Michael Geary, Dec 30, 2003
  7. B.Rumary

    Clanger Guest

    Mike,

    I am not sure how to format the Microdrive to FAT32 but am willing to try
    once I have found how.

    Just a thought, why would the 5700 be able to function on FAT32 when it
    cannot format at that spec.

    clanger

    Clanger, Dec 30, 2003
  8. B.Rumary

    Ron Hunter Guest

    You can check the specs for the camera online. If it doesn't say it
    does FAT32, then it probably doesn't.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 30, 2003
  9. B.Rumary

    Donald Gray Guest

    Can't help with info on the maximum. I'm using 128 and 512 Mb CF cards
    in my 5700.
    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

    Donald Gray, Dec 30, 2003
  10. B.Rumary

    misifus Guest

    I just looked through my manual, the largest CF cards they
    mention are 160MB, and the microdrive. This is obviously dated
    information, but at the same time, it might be indicative that
    the camera design predates FAT32.

    -Raf

    misifus, Dec 30, 2003
  11. B.Rumary

    Frank H Guest

    Nope, the 5700 is Fat16 only ...

    http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/...TUwJnBfY2F0X2x2bDE9fmFueX4mcF9wYWdlPTM*&p_li=

    Frank H, Dec 31, 2003
  12. B.Rumary

    Clanger Guest

    I rest my formatting case.......

    clanger

    http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nikoneurope_en.cfg/php/enduser/st
    d_adp.php?p_sid=WJK92d*g&p_lva=&p_faqid=1089&p_created=1029164852&p_sp=cF9zc
    mNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD1mYXFzLnVwZGF0ZWQ6RCZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTA4JnBfc2VhcmNoX3Rle
    HQ9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9MyZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMT0xJnBfcHJvZF9sdmwyPTUwJnBfY2F0X2x2b
    DE9fmFueX4mcF9wYWdlPTM*&p_li=

    Clanger, Dec 31, 2003
  13. B.Rumary

    Donald Gray Guest

    Or - more likely that at the time of printing, 160 (?) was the largest
    available.

    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

    Donald Gray, Jan 2, 2004
  14. It doesn't. I have information from Nikon Customer Support
    that it supports only FAT16.

    Bob Cunningham, Jan 2, 2004