    I also want, if possible, a card that will still enable the secondary
    port even if it can't detect a display on the other end. Some cards are
    better at this than others.

    Rob J, Jun 3, 2005

  2. Rob J

    Harry Guest

    The hardware is nearly ok, but Matrox software can be crappy.

    Like I had a G400 with Win98SE and by the time W2k came out
    they didn't even develop a W2k driver - and the W98SE driver wouldn't let
    you record your own analog video tapes (because they detected Macrovision
    when there wasn't even Macrovision on the tapes). Also the hardware
    would tie itself in a knot if the recording quality factor was set
    at around 80% - and you wouldn't find that out until the end of
    the recording session.

    They are an ardent supporter of Macrovision.
    And they do bad software and bad after sales support.
    BTW they are a Canadian company.

    Harry, Jun 4, 2005

  3. They _used_ to make extremely good 2D graphics cards. I ran through a few
    Matrox cards before I dumped them a year or so ago.

    Shame really, they had a real shoe in in the market in the early days but
    never grabbed the chance and ran with it, hence their cards are much harder to
    find nowadays because they are not great value for money and consequently few
    people have them.

    Agree with the previous poster, I too had a G400 which is not a bad card even
    by todays standards, but Matrox never came out with proper 2k/XP drivers.
    Also crappy directx support, and once the card is about 2 years old you can
    forget getting any driver updates. At least with the likes of nvidia and
    other recent cards, driver development stays going for far longer..

    I can't see myself ever buying Matrox again, but I wouldn't say I was upset
    with them - just consider other options as, er, better value ;)

    reuben

    Reuben Farrelly, Jun 5, 2005
  4. Rob J

    Tony Guest

    Go for a Nvdia 6600GT as they do have Full support for DVD Playback.

    You need the driver for that and its $19us but its free 30day demo, but MS
    has now incorporated in its Media Player.

    I do not think that Matrox support hardware accelerated DVD playback.

    "PureVideo Technology

    Adaptable programmable video processor
    MPEG video encode and decode
    High-definition MPEG-2 hardware acceleration
    High-quality video scaling and filtering
    DVD and HDTV-ready MPEG-2 decoding up to 1920x1080i resolutions
    Dual integrated 400 MHz RAMDACs for display resolutions up to and including
    2048 × 1536 at 85Hz
    Display gamma correction
    Microsoft® Video Mixing Renderer (VMR) supports multiple video windows with
    full video quality and features in each window

    Advanced Display Functionality

    Dual integrated 400MHz RAMDACs for display resolutions up to and including
    2048x1536 at 85hz
    Dual DVO ports for interfacing to external TMDS transmitters and external TV
    encoders
    Full NVIDIA® nView™ multi-display technology capability"

    Tony, Jun 5, 2005
  5. Rob J

    Impossible Guest

    Ever bothered to look here for drivers?

    http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/drivers/certified/home.cfm

    They update regularly.

    Impossible, Jun 5, 2005
  6. Rob J

    Impossible Guest

    You actually have to look on the Matrox site if you want updated
    drivers. Just because you couldn't find it doesn't mean it's not
    there.

    http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/drivers/home.cfm

    BTW, this driver update is not new -- been there since at least 2001.

    This is not a driver issue. The video software that Matrox bundled
    with the G400 (a 1998 or so card) was incompatible with Windows 2000.
    Matrox never updated it because the G400 was replaced with the G450,
    which did come bundled with Windows 2000 (and now XP) compatible
    software. The G400 continues to be supported in terms of driver
    updates on the Matrox site, but it is otherwise considered obsolete
    now.

    Impossible, Jun 5, 2005
  7. Rob J

    Harry Guest

    Sorry but that driver comes without the very important video tools.
    A simple display driver is a no-brainer.
    Yes it is because the Macrovision was built into the software.
    Specifically rrapi.dll and vcap16.dll.
    They have to be patched to disable macrovision.
    Correct. That is what I meant when I said there was no driver for w2k!
    Exactly my point.

    Harry, Jun 7, 2005
  8. Rob J

    Harry Guest

    Harry, Jun 7, 2005
  9. Rob J

    Impossible Guest

    The G400 was long ago replaced by the G450. Matrox no longer supports
    it beyond providing up-to-date drivers. Get over it..

    Impossible, Jun 7, 2005
  10. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    NVIDIA has STUPID drivers that won't even initialise the secondary
    display hardware unless there is a bog standard CRT/LCD screen on the end
    of it. No projectors, splitter boxes, nothing.

    I spent a whole week trying to get their NView working with a projector
    once, it was a complete waste of time. The only way we can use the Nvidia
    card was in single display mode, with another graphics card providing the
    primary display.

    Rob J, Jun 8, 2005
  11. How can it tell?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 10, 2005
  12. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    10 Jun 2005 23:06:33 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <[email protected]
    central.gen.new_zealand> says...
    DDC

    Rob J, Jun 10, 2005
  13. With the old Apple monitor identification system, it was possible to get
    special adapters from third-party monitor vendors that would fake the ID
    codes for specific monitor types. Is this sort of thing possible with
    DDC?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 11, 2005