Matrox card - 16, 24, or 32 bit easiest on the system?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by thanatoid, Oct 7, 2007.

  1. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Hi gang.

    I have a Matrox Mystique, and there are three "High Color"
    settings. I read somewhere once that Windows 95 (and 98 IIRC,
    maybe ALL) natively works in X mode, so that's the best one to
    set it to so there's the least strain on the system. But I can't
    remember whether that "native mode" is 16, 24 or 32 bit.

    {For some reason I switched to 32bit a few days ago and I have
    been getting some Matrox-driver-related crashes of Opera, so I
    switched to 16 bit. It's still at 85Hz and looks fine, but it's
    VERY slightly magenta-ish now AOT 24 and 32 bit. I have a color
    setup program with color bars and contrast charts etc. and I can
    adjust all that - and will - once I settle on which of the 3
    H.C. modes to use. I am thinking of going back to my older
    version of Opera anyway - I recently "upgraded" by .31 versions
    and there are a *surprising* amount of differences between 7.23
    and 7.54 and I don't like them - I guess I'm just too used to
    the old one (it's been *years*).}

    But I would like to have the color set for least strain on my
    system, which, due to the astounding - and incomprehensible -
    longevity of my "t's computer is 10 years old" thread, just
    about everyone knows is 10 years and 10 days old or so, and
    running 95B on a 166MMX with 96 MB RAM. The Matrox card has 4
    (!) MB of RAM. Wild, huh?

    Would someone please refresh my rapidly deteriorating memory?
    16, 24, or 32?

    Thanks.

    thanatoid, Oct 7, 2007