    Thank-you, I am stuck with this one and need help.

    Cheers,

    Coupon

    Make Yourself, Jan 22, 2004

  2. Make Yourself

    wisefool Guest

    Make Yourself said:
    > Two employees are putting orders together for a distribution
    > warehouse.
    >
    > Warren picks 47 orders in 7 hours. The total number of pieces
    > he picks is 538. The total number of locations on his orders is 415.
    >
    > Preet picks 24 orders in 7.5 hours. The total number of pieces
    > he picks is 1169. The total number of locations on his orders is 616.
    >
    > Which employee is more efficient and why? Please show the work.
    >
    > Thank-you, I am stuck with this one and need help.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Coupon

    In pieces per hour, Warren picks 538 / 7 = roughly 77 pieces per hour.
    " " Preet picks 1169 / 7.5 = roughly 156 pieces
    per hour.
    In orders per hour Warren picks 47 / 7 = roughly 7 orders per hour.
    " " Preet picks 24 / 7.5 = roughly 3 orders per
    hour.

    So Preet is more efficient in terms of pieces per hour.
    But Warren is more efficient in terms of orders per hour.

    Efficient in this kind of question generally means lowest cost/time per
    task.

    But there isn't enough information in the question to give a more specific
    answer.

    wisefool

    wisefool, Jan 22, 2004

  3. There is more information in the question though. The total number of
    locations on their orders tells you how many locations they had to go to to
    put their orders together. The more locations the more work they have to
    do.

    Cheers,

    Coupon

    Make Yourself, Jan 22, 2004
  4. Make Yourself

    Boomer Guest

    "Make Yourself" <> wrote in

    > There is more information in the question though. The total
    > number of locations on their orders tells you how many locations
    > they had to go to to put their orders together. The more
    > locations the more work they have to do.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Coupon

    Then you figure out the rest. It's your homework, isn't it?

    Boomer, Jan 22, 2004
  5. Make Yourself

    trout Guest

    Make Yourself wrote:

    > There is more information in the question though. The total number of
    > locations on their orders tells you how many locations they had to go
    > to to put their orders together. The more locations the more work
    > they have to do.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Coupon

    Maybe. But there's still not enough information to make it a useful
    factor in determining efficiency. Perhaps the greater number of 'pieces
    picked' are from neatly-arranged, consecutive locations in close
    proximity (let's say aisles A, B, C, and D); while the smaller number
    gathered from widely-spaced locations (aisles B, Q, L and Z; as well as
    the old shed, out back). Hard to make this a factor in a formula.
    This type of actual, linear movement is even more important in
    deciding if *orders* picked per hour is even a factor. Are the orders
    being picked consecutively (making a 'round trip' for each) or
    concurrently? We don't know. Is Warren running back and forth with a
    hand-cart, filling orders for large appliances, or driving around with a
    giant forklift, filling many orders at once for novelty key-chains?
    I don't see anything in the information to determine actual
    efficiency other than pieces picked per hour; so I'd fire Warren's lazy
    ass, and give Preet the rest of the day off; if this was all I had to go
    by.

    trout, Jan 22, 2004
  6. Make Yourself

    Patrick Guest

    Make Yourself wrote:
    > Two employees are putting orders together for a distribution
    > warehouse.
    >
    > Warren picks 47 orders in 7 hours. The total number of pieces
    > he picks is 538. The total number of locations on his orders is 415.
    >
    > Preet picks 24 orders in 7.5 hours. The total number of pieces
    > he picks is 1169. The total number of locations on his orders is 616.
    >
    > Which employee is more efficient and why? Please show the work.
    >
    > Thank-you, I am stuck with this one and need help.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Coupon

    Dear 'Make Yourself' (Coupon), please do it yourself !
    You have a darn cheek, asking others to do your job and get some poor
    employee the sack.
    Why do you not sack yourself (your the failure, not any employee).

    Patrick, Jan 22, 2004
  7. Make Yourself

    wisefool Guest

    Make Yourself said:
    > There is more information in the question though. The total number of
    > locations on their orders tells you how many locations they had to go
    > to to put their orders together. The more locations the more work
    > they have to do.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Coupon

    Unfortunately my crystal broke last week.

    Your question makes sense -- but you clearly have more
    information / understanding about the context tha we do, and
    you've not told us that extra information.

    Can't help you. Even if I could, why would I? The way I see it,
    either:

    (a) You're attempting this unanswerable question for homework. In which
    case, no educator is gonna care if you can't answer an "impossible"
    question.
    (b) You're doing this for an employer. In which case, why on earth
    are you in a position where you need to make business decisions
    if you find yourself asking others for input on ones like this?
    (c) You are doing this for fun. In which case -- not many people here can
    really can relate to that. And we will simply move on to the next
    poster.

    wisefool

    wisefool, Jan 23, 2004
  8. Make Yourself

    wisefool Guest

    Make Yourself said:
    > There is more information in the question though. The total number of
    > locations on their orders tells you how many locations they had to go
    > to to put their orders together. The more locations the more work
    > they have to do.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Coupon

    A. Did they have to go to Florida to Kenya to get the packaging materials
    for each delivery? Or just to the end of the hall? Or table...

    B. Were they experts at solving the "travelling salesman problem", or just
    juniors?

    C. Did the fork lift trucks travel (a) at the speed of light (b) at a fixed,
    finite, low, "safe" speed?

    D. Did you say metric "tea break length units" or imperial?

    E. Rate their average boss experience from ogre to straight down the line
    over (1 month), (3 months), (1 year), (2 years)?

    F. What were they both paid per hour, in grams of gold equivalent?

    Put all the numbers except A in a large mixing bowl. Add calculus and
    season to taste with set theory and factorials. Beat A in jug, add some
    water and fold into the main mixture. Pour the answer out into a
    rectangular decimal container.

    "Now chuck all these numbers away, and fire the one you don't like."

    Simple. I could be a boss!

    wisefool

    wisefool, Jan 23, 2004
  9. Make Yourself

    wisefool Guest

    wisefool said:
    > A, B, C, D, E, F

    Altho' silly, these questions allude to some of the kinds of things
    which I think you might want to consider when answering this kind
    of question -- there is a lot of info missing in the question.

    wisefool

    wisefool, Jan 23, 2004
  10. Make Yourself

    trout Guest

    Make Yourself wrote:

    > Actually, one of the guys has an attitude like yours and the other
    > doesn't. When you've been given a problem like 'what is the sum of
    > 2+2' or 'what's the shortest distance from point a to point b?' the
    > correct answer is the best one possible based on the given
    > information. It's not correct to say... "'what is the sum of 2+2' is
    > not enough information because I'm only going on hearsay" or "'what's
    > the shortest distance from point a to point b' is not enough
    > information because I haven't seen a report from someone I trust that
    > proves point a and point b actually exist and if they do will any
    > human rights concerns be raised by going the absolute shortest way
    > whereby someone may actually die and therefore not be able to finish
    > the shortest path' well, that's not the correct answer either.
    > The better employee is the one without the attitude. The other
    > employees laugh and make jokes about the guy with the attitude all
    > the time because he spends so much time avoiding the practical things
    > and using as many excuses as he can for why he can't work faster.
    > Not to forget his poor hygiene.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Coupon

    Your analogy is goofy. Obviously; there is plenty of information in
    'What's 2+2' to give a reasonably certain, unqualified answer. There are
    no real variables. Likewise, with a line between two points.
    Your question was more like 'what's 2 plus a number lesser than five
    multiplied by itself, and divided by four'.
    The cheerful go-getter *may* come up with the 'right' answer, which
    might be okay if you're not mixing explosives; but he'd be more apt to
    merrily barge ahead with mistakes. This is not everyone's notion of a
    "better employee".
    But it sounds like you were just looking for a rationalization for
    your personal dislike of someone, anyway.
    --
    "Talk about 'attitude'."

    trout, Jan 24, 2004
  11. Make Yourself

    wisefool Guest

    Make Yourself said:
    > There is more information in the question though. The total number of
    > locations on their orders tells you how many locations they had to go
    > to to put their orders together. The more locations the more work
    > they have to do.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Coupon

    It _was_ unclear *before* you said this what you meant by locations. I
    can imagine how it might be perfectly clear to you. But I haven't worked
    in your particular warehouse. Sigh.

    wisefool

    wisefool, Jan 25, 2004
  12. On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 02:31:49 -0000, "wisefool" <>
    wrote:

    >It _was_ unclear *before* you said this what you meant by locations. I
    >can imagine how it might be perfectly clear to you. But I haven't worked
    >in your particular warehouse. Sigh.

    That's o.k. it doesn't stop anyone in this group from putting someone
    down when they haven't got any idea about a persons job.

    John H. Guillory, Jan 25, 2004
  13. Make Yourself

    wisefool Guest

    John H. Guillory said:
    > On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 02:31:49 -0000, "wisefool" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> It _was_ unclear *before* you said this what you meant by locations.
    >> I can imagine how it might be perfectly clear to you. But I haven't
    >> worked in your particular warehouse. Sigh.

    > That's o.k. it doesn't stop anyone in this group from putting someone
    > down when they haven't got any idea about a persons job.

    I noticed.

    wisefool

    wisefool, Jan 25, 2004