Matching Color

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PTRAVEL, Aug 26, 2003.

  1. PTRAVEL

    PTRAVEL Guest

    After digging deep into my pocket (and an extensive ebay dispersal of old
    toys), I've replaced my old color chemical darkroom with the digital
    equivalent. I've got a Canon 10D, a Canon i9100 wide-carriage printer, and
    a new Sony 17" LCD monitor, all of which perform marvelously.

    The only problem: what I see on the 10d's lcd screen doesn't quite match
    what I see on my Sony monitor, which definitely doesn't match what comes out
    of the i9100 printer -- there are significant variations in color,
    saturation and brightness between the three. I don't need everything
    perfect, this is just a hobby, and I certainly don't want to spend another
    $1000 or so on a Spyder, just for a one-time calibration of my system.
    Presumably, there is manual, match-by-eye procedure that will be "good
    enough" -- I remember doing something similar 100 years ago or so when I
    match an HP Scanjet IIcx to a very early model color HP Deskjet (a test
    photo was supplied for the purpose that had color charts, a picture of a
    model, and some other things on it).

    I really have no idea where to begin. Any suggestions or referrals to
    relevant websites would be greatly appreciated.

    PTRAVEL, Aug 26, 2003

  2. PTRAVEL

    David French Guest

    I calibrated my monitor visually using Adobe Gamma, and my scanner and
    printer using an IT8 target & Wizywyg software from www.praxisoft.com which
    cost something like $100. The 10D should be able to work in Adobe RGB
    (1998) mode, which should match a well calibrated monitor if you are using
    Photoshop in the right colour space, but I still haven't got my 10D so I
    can't verify that!

    David

    David French, Aug 26, 2003

  3. PTRAVEL

    Frogiswrong Guest

    Not saying you should get a spyder but... calibrating isn't a one time task.
    It should be done regularly.

    Frogiswrong, Aug 27, 2003