    anyone written an extension to do it? Is there anyway to configure the
    toolbar with a button to do it? I know you can use the KB and the popup
    window, but still looking for something a little easier. Thanks.

    Jim Leder, Jul 28, 2005

  2. Jim Leder

    Retiredff Guest

    This is the only thing that is stopping me from making TB my default mail
    and news reader. When you look through 20+ newsgroups, the extra clicks
    really do add up, and it is easy to forget.

    Hope someone can/will/has come up with a way around it.

    Retiredff, Jul 28, 2005

  3. Jim Leder

    Jim Leder Guest

    Likewise. I really do like TB, and I also hope someone can come up with a
    solution.

    Jim Leder, Jul 28, 2005
  4. Jim Leder

    wc Guest

    I don't find it too difficult, I just right click, and mark them all
    read, and that's it.

    It doesn't seem to be too difficult . . . but then, I'm used to hard
    work, sitting on my _______ for hours at a time, punching the occasional
    key.

    Will

    wc, Jul 29, 2005
  5. Jim Leder

    Tony Raven Guest

    Or Menu/K/A on the keyboard does the same

    Tony Raven, Jul 29, 2005
  6. Jim Leder

    Jim Blue Guest

    Ctrl-Shift-C while still in the newsgroup. That's pretty easy.

    Jim Blue, Jul 29, 2005
  7. Jim Leder

    Jim Leder Guest

    Yes, not too bad, but is there any way to make a tool bar item to do the
    ctrl-shift-c wit a single mouse click (other than the pop up window)?

    Jim Leder, Jul 29, 2005
  8. Jim Leder

    Retiredff Guest

    I've been trying to ween myself off of IE since TB v .7 or so. This one
    thing keeps me going back to IE.

    Simplicity and ease of use is what it boils down to.

    I look at, sometimes several times a day, 23 newsgroups. Another seven
    several times a week to catch up. Messages range from a few per week to
    hundreds per day. If I move to a new group, forgetting to mark the current
    one read, then it is a pain in the a** to figure out what I've read and what
    I haven't.

    I, and many others, have gotten used to having, in IE, all messages marked
    as read just by going to the next group. It is a one-step process that takes
    care of two things at one time.

    Ctrl-Shift-C requires me to pull my keyboard tray out, use both hands to
    type, push the tray in, and either use the mouse, or use another keyboard
    step to access the next group. Or, make multiple mouse clicks to mark them
    read and access the next group.

    It is not difficult. It is easy. But, it is a step backwards from IE. All
    the other advantages of TB does not out-weigh this one major problem. Like I
    said before, it is the only thing that is preventing me from making TB my
    default mail and news reader.

    If I had even the faintest idea about how to write an extension, I would
    try. But I don't. And, as far as I know, it might not even be possible.

    Larry

    Retiredff, Jul 29, 2005
  9. Jim Leder

    Doug G Guest

    Write your own extension, see
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/specs/extensions.html

    I use a View > Threads setting to see the messages I want. I don't want
    all unread messages to be marked as read when I leave a newsgroup.

    Doug G, Jul 29, 2005
  10. I've been trying to ween myself off of IE since TB v .7 or so. This one
    I presume you mean OE? I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole.
    And you prefer OE?
    Looks like it's time to get used to something different. A scary though,
    no doubt.
    Two extra mouse clicks? Eek.. just think of the RSI.
    You don't view *that* many newsgroups, so again, this is hardly a show
    stopper.
    How you could use that as an excuse to use TB is beyond me.
    Isn't the very *very* slight learning curve not worth it?
    Major problem? Ah, if only life was that simple that two extra mouse
    clicks was a major problem.
    I guess if you want a program that behaves exactly the same as OE, then
    you are best staying with OE.
    The fact that it hasn't been written shows that either a) it's' not
    possible, b) not worth it.
    Give it a try, it will probably give you a new appreciation of TB if you
    could write the extension yourself.

    Good luck with OE, you'll need it.

    Bryan

    Bryan Harrison, Jul 29, 2005
  11. Jim Leder

    Retiredff Guest

    Yes, I goofed. I meant OE. The rest of your comments are even worth my time.

    Retiredff, Jul 29, 2005
  12. Jim Leder

    Ed Mullen Guest

    You can also do CTRL+SHIFT+C.

    Ed Mullen, Jul 29, 2005
  13. Yes, I goofed. I meant OE. The rest of your comments are even worth my time.

    Lol... Says it all.
    It's just as well the world isn't full of people who aren't willing to
    exert a little extra effort, and who aren't afraid of change, otherwise
    Mozilla would of never of made it off the ground.

    Enjoy OE.

    Bryan

    Bryan Harrison, Jul 30, 2005