    streets that is not in Mappoint 2004? Does Mappoint indicate that the truck
    is in an on the map in a location where the road should be?
    Is there a way to edit the maps and/or add roads to it?

    Guest, Mar 31, 2005

  2. Guest

    CBIC Guest

    I would ask the company you're buying the GPS system from. If you're
    spending that much money they should be able to answer your questions.

    CBIC, Mar 31, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Already asked them. They have never come across this problem. Their setup is
    mainly used in transport trucks, running major highways that are present in
    Mappoint. We are in the Construction industry, and would be either building
    these newer roads, or working on buildings that are on newer roads. (newer
    then 4 years old)

    Guest, Mar 31, 2005
  4. Guest

    CBIC Guest

    I figured you had but had to throw it out there. It seems odd that they
    couldn't/wouldn't find this out for you. Have you talked to different GPS
    outfits?

    CBIC, Mar 31, 2005
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I am currently in the works of having them send a test unit to see what will
    happen in different situations. (ie. concrete truck goes under ground at a
    mining site, goes on a missing road in mappoint, etc)
    I still would like to see if anyone has had any experience with this issue
    as I know that the missing road issue is a common issue.

    Guest, Mar 31, 2005
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    First.. $100,000 per truck is damned ridiculous.
    Whatever purchasing agent approved that is an idiot.
    Whatever outfit is trying to sell that to you is
    screwing you. Seriously, a tractor trailer or a concrete
    truck doesn't even cost that much!
    If they want to sell that to you, then make them do the
    research and prove it to you!!

    As for a concrete truck (or any vehicle) going
    underground, there will be no signal until it gets on the
    other side. Thus, you can't track it. Even with WAAS
    (ground based GPS), you won't get a signal underground.

    As for the roads, you would have to get the US Geological
    Survey to update their maps. It is possible to pay
    companies to update the maps and provide the updates to
    the USGS. They use survey equipment, airplanes with
    cameras and lasers, etc. Your state mapping office or
    the project engineers may be able to provide more
    information.
    Or, you can find an USGS volunteer to help.
    http://geography.usgs.gov/misc/evolution.html
    http://interactive.usgs.gov/volunteer/earthsciencecorps

    Guest, Apr 3, 2005
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Maybe I missed worded my posting. It was $100,000+ to equip all our trucks
    (concrete, transports etc)

    Guest, Apr 4, 2005